Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
small member
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long have you been into boating and what do you love about it.
Myself i am 32 and have been going boating ever since i was 9.
I will try to dig up some old pics of the early years and if you can do the same. Mullets and all

I love the people you meet.(we are the non swinging type:)LegHump )
The majority of peeps are always friendly and willing to help a fellow boater because they are just that a fellow boater.

you get this :)hand rather then:(:( (for the most part)

work is a bad word when you are on the water

Well and of course the sceanary

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
As far back as I can remember!!! Born and raised on the river in Mohave Valley, 32 now. I have pictures of taking baths in river when I was in diapers. My oldman has been drag racing boats since the early 70s so when the wife gets mad at me about the boats I just blame it on him!!:p:D

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Oddly enough we were talking about this the other day. The first time I ever got on a boat was when I was about 5 years old. They were building the Mackinaw Bridge between the Michigan Peninsulas and my Father took us on a guided boat that went out to see the bridge being built. It was about a 28 foot Chris Chraft. I'll never forget being on the back deck watching the prop wash. I was hooked forever.

The next couple days we took passenger ferrys out to Mackinaw Island and back and then took the car ferry that went between the peninsulas prior to the bridge. All that boating was very impressionable on the young mid.

From there it was fishing boats, ski boats, and on up. Nothing like that feel of being on the water. It's like it just gives a different perspective to everything, as if you're on an adventure "landlubbers" don't understand.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
About twelve years ago. I like big fast boats and boat racing.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
My pops used to take me to havasu since I was still shitting on myself...Im 26 now, love boating, and still shitting myself

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'll play

I'm the youngest of 5 children. I've also been boating since I was in diapers. Here's a couple of old photos. The one of the yellow bubble deck was taken by lone rock. The small kid in the water with a pair of skis on is me. I'm now 43.lol That boat is still in the family....my nephew ownes it. He's the real small guy in the boat in the pic. And also a real old photo of rainbow bridge I thought was cool. I'm not in that pic....I took it..

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I was conceived at the river 41 long yeas ago. My grandpa owned southwind boats so I was only a few weeks old when i took my first ride....:)devil Had my first boat at age 5. It was an 8 ' mini with an outboard. Now some years later, my river boat is faster and quicker than my dads old drag boat was!!!:D

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
learned to ski at Elsinore in 1953 :))eek:))..........and the water WAS green back then :D.........My Pop's an a couple of his pals bought a "Glenn L" kit boat an built it from scratch, put a big 'ol lincoln v8 in it. Us kids actualy skied behind Pop Hugh's 12 ft "skiff" with about a 10 horse johnson on it :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
Since i was 7 ,2hp Evinrude on a tub , 43 now ,2 kids with their own boats plus 2 boats ,Im about to break the news to the wife about the 2nd boat in 5 minutes ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Probably around the time I was 4 or 5 going on the Allegheny river in PA in my Grandfather's rowboat that he built himself.
My Dad had a 16' outboard in Florida, but it was shortly after I was born that he sold it.
He bought a 24' Reinell ~'80-1. Used it on Erie running out of Toledo.
I'm almost 40.
Been hooked all my life.
Haven't run my own boat in 8 years, and still putting this one together. Sometimes life gets in the way of what you really want to be doing.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Rode in a few boats as a kid, but the Navy got me really learning to drive one.... drove big ones for a few years, even got to drive some "little" 36' LCPLs. Never would have thought I'd have my own boat back when i was in my early Navy years, although i wanted a yacht to take customers around the world real slow like. I went to a number of great ports, thought it would be the best thing going to be able to leave when I wanted - early if the port was boring, later if the port was cool. "Coolness" was based upon attractiveness and availability of local talent, so Japan would be an overnight stop, but Pattaya, that's a month-long party.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
My dad used to take me down to the marinas in San Francisco Bay starting when i was about 6 or 7 years old and I got hooked then. We used to watch the fishing boats come in and unload fish and I would look at all the crusiers in the Marina too. I didn't get to buy my first boat until I got out of the Air Force and got married. That was in 1969 and have had about 17 or 18 boats since then. Still hooked and I feel bad for the people that just don't get it and don't have boats.

Steve

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I've been a boat nut all 38 years of my life. My dad always owned a boat while we were growing up and we were always going to the river. We also spent a lot of time on Elsinore in the 80's. I haven't done a lot of boating lately. I sold my boat a year and a half ago, because business went into the shitter. :)sphss First time I've been boatless since I was 20 years old. When business picks up, I'll buy another one. Pops lets me borrow the old Sleekcraft when I need a river fix, though.

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
Plans for the Belle Isle, a 23' barrel back runabout designed by Ken Hankinson

learned to ski at Elsinore in 1953 :))eek:))..........and the water WAS green back then :D.........My Pop's an a couple of his pals bought a "Glenn L" kit boat an built it from scratch, put a big 'ol lincoln v8 in it. Us kids actualy skied behind Pop Hugh's 12 ft "skiff" with about a 10 horse johnson on it :D
Then you might like seeing the photos in this link, You will half to open the photo area and hit the drop down, Then hit play. http://metrocast.net/~bcheckerberry/. This guy Bought his plans from Ken Hankinson when he was selling his designs, but he retired and sold his plans to Glen-L. Also they have this site if you wanted to check it out. http://glen-l.com/phpBB2/index.php.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Family got our first boat in 1969 a glastron tri hull. stated going to mead back then and haven't stopped yet.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I learned to waterski on Lake Lanier, GA when I was about 8 or 9.
Then learned how to slalom in Havasu when I was about 11-12 behind a 19.5 Rogers OB with a 200hp Merc on the back. Continued to go to Havasu until age 18.
Didn't realize how much I loved the river until we went out with Game Time one year. We bought a boat that year, and now from 4/1 to 10/31 were at the lake almost every other week, or more.
Our 3 children have been raised on the water.

I always joke and say I've been coming to Havasu since the Windsor Inn and the Xanadu were nice places to stay.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Been going to the river since I was born (23 years ago). My Grandmother had a home built in Willow Valley 2 years before I was born. Most of my family has all faded out of the river scene, however I'm still going strong! My second family (best friends family since I was 6) went to Lake Mohave, so as a kid I'd be on the lake one weekend then on the river the next with my family all of my summers. Bought my first stand-up when I was 16. Then bought another at 18, then an XP, then my Ultra, then another sseadoo and now my current boat. In highschool when I got my first truck me and friends started going own with enough money for a tank of stand up gas, some beer, smokes and food ($100).:D and either slept in our trucks, tents or rooms at the Colorado Belle (if we had enough money).LOL

1 - 20 of 48 Posts