Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking because I'm curious. My boat is a '78 and not including me it's had 7-8 different owners. I bought the boat off a guy who bought it as an impulse buy and he wasn't really passionate about boats. He never bothered to do the research on its lineage because he just didn't care. Well I'm passionate about boats and I do care. Since day one I've been trying to dig up as much history I can on this boat. After about a year, I can say that I've pretty much done all that I can and that is the number that I have come up with. For almost 20 years, my Dad and I have been buying old cars and restoring them and we've always loked for 1-2 owner vehicles. This is the first time I've ever owned anything that's had so many prior owners. Oh well, hopefully my boats will never have to find a new home again.

·
Steve
402 Posts
Bought mine from original owner. He gave me all the paperwork that came with it from when he bought it new. Not to say it didn't need a few things, but it's always nice to buy any vehicle from the the person that had it from day one. That way you get ALL the background & papers for it (at least what the previous owner will tell you about).
:)devil
1979 Rogers 18'.

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Im the 2nd owner of my 1994 Preformance 19.
Built at Advantage from what I was told, shipped to michigan, used 4 times total of 6hrs between 1994 and 1996 then sat in a HVAC garage with a cover on it till 2010 when i bought it and had it shipped back to where it belongs on the west coast~:D

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Three owners for mine, the original owner/racer Greenville NC, second owner/painter Greenville SC, and Me... third owner stripped the paint went back to gelcoat and back to racing Northern IL.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Blender always really like the color and layout of your sled, you found a jewel :yes:

Aint no tellin on my winger :dunno: The guy I bought it from said he was the 2nd owner but as time goes on I have found out that he has lied to me pretty much about everything on the boat so who knows !!!!! All I know is it's been painted, used to be a red metalflake and came outta Oklahoma :wink2:

I think i'm number 4 or 5 on the Cheyenne

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
I know of 3, Peanut Holder...RIP..had it painted in '03/04, then Robbie Barrett after him, then my wives Cousin Turkey had it a couple years before I got it last winter. Not sure of the history of it before Peanut got it, Maybe Gearhead or some of the local guys can chime in. I'd love to see some before pics of it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I bought mine from the original owners nephew. It was still in the uncles name so I guess technically I am the second owner.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm the 3rd owner of mine. The original owner had it bought it new in 78, it's a 77 built hull. The 2nd owner had it a little over a year. I even found the original owners information, because the trailer was still in his name. It used to be run around Havasu and orange county, then several years ago he moved to Utah. I basically consider myself the 2nd owner.

Sent while on the run, or sitting at work bored

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My boat has had a pretty interesting history. The guy I bought it from ran the boat once, destroyed the jet and parked the boat in a storage lot. Back in the late '90's another prior owner had a nitrous system hooked up to it and would race it around the Needles area. Hustler (member on this forum) claims that his father and brother also owned my boat at one time. The original owner ('78-'89) was kind enough to e-mail me a couple pics from when the boat was new. Turns out the trailer and interior were originally dark blue (presently both are white) The boat had OT Bassett headers (had logs and snails when I bought it) and it had a huge fiberglass scoop painted to match the gel on the hull. Based on those 2 pics I've decided to partially restore the boat back to it's former glory. I've already bought the Bassett headers and the boat goes next month to Havasu to have the transom holes filled. I've also decided to paint the trailer dark blue again. Digging up the history on this boat has been a pretty wild ride. Lots of investigative work which has lead to many surprises and me meeting some pretty nice people along the way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My first boat in 1977 was through 3-4 owners before I got it, it was just a 17" ski machine with one of those bulbous Evinrude 85 h.p. outboards from the day.

Several boats till I got my Carlson in my avatar. It was low hours but was left to rot outside. I gutted it and redid everything including floor, gas tank reweld, upholstery and trailer axle upgrade. Ken at Rainbow Marine in Sunset Beach said it was the best running boat in his yard last year. I loved that boat.

Then I found a 1989 Sleekcraft 23' Executive with 260 hours on it. I've wanted this boat since the 1970's. Interesting story on it. Original owner was helped out by his church 10 years ago. He wanted to repay them but had nothing to give but the boat. He donated the boat to his church who sold it to a guy in King City, north of Paso Robles. The owner in King City used it little and due to health stuck it back in his storage shed with his Vette, riviera, Ranchero and other cars. I bought it last October and this is probably the last boat I'll ever buy................I'm so full of shit! :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
My dad bought mine off the show room floor in 79. Boat was originally going to Texas but the guy backed out at the last minute and my dad walked in at the right time. I remember him bringing the boat home on my 4th birthday...the hull number has my birthday in it....kinda of cool. He sold it to my uncle who had it a couple of years then I bought it when I got out of high school.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think I'm the 4th owner of my boat. I got it from my Dad, who got it from Donny Little, and I am pretty sure he was the 2nd owner.

Three owners for mine, the original owner/racer Greenville NC, second owner/painter Greenville SC, and Me... third owner stripped the paint went back to gelcoat and back to racing Northern IL.
Does this mean we will see you at the island this summer Chuck???

·
Positive Vibration
427 Posts
My Crusader, I'm the 3rd owner. Have all the paperwork and order forms for it. Second owner was a lying pos though,, sounds like I'm not the only one to go down that road.

I'm the 2nd owner of my Sanger. Spent it's 1st 15 years in Disco Bay.

My Daytona is anyones guess? No idea of the history before Andrew bought it. Just receipts from all the So-Cal shops.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I believe im the 4th owner, others on here may know more..
1st owner in pic below - and HotBoat article, (dont know his name for sure) -- if anyone has this Hotboat article I am still interested in getting it please :) June -1997
2nd owner - Gina Tomarillo (sp?)
3rd owner - Shawn Calkins
Im the 4th.

Darin

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I believe the originall owner of the Green with Envy boat was Dave that owned the 4 wheel Direct in Santee CA. Somebody might have some better info though.... Still a nice boat. I remember seeing it race in San Diego years ago at the Bay Fair, I think Gina owned it then...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts