Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QUESTION:

I am very curious as to how many PB'ers follow OFFSHORE racing in any form?

OSS, SBI, OPA, POPRA, UIM or other racing entity.

All you need to do is post up and say YES or NO! If anything it will increase your post count:D.

If you like you can elaborate..what you like and dislike.

Does it affect your decision when purchasing a boat...I mean if a boat manufacturer is racing and winning consistently in the offshore arena does it make a difference to you as a buyer. Versus just looking for certain features in a boat exclusively.

KAP

·
Registered
115 Posts
QUESTION:

I am very curious as to how many PB'ers follow OFFSHORE racing in any form?

OSS, SBI, OPA, POPRA, UIM or other racing entity.

All you need to do is post up and say YES or NO! If anything it will increase your post count:D.

If you like you can elaborate..what you like and dislike.

Does it affect your decision when purchasing a boat...I mean if a boat manufacturer is racing and winning consistently in the offshore arena does it make a difference to you as a buyer. Versus just looking for certain features in a boat exclusively.

KAP

I try to keep up with the poker runs, but that is about it.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I try to keep up with the poker runs, but that is about it.
Wow! that is very interesting. You know Cobradude I was just telling someone that very same thing.

No one follows offshore racing but everyone is interested in Poker Runs and who's boat ran the fastest and video clips galore.

Your right on point with my perspective but still want to hear from other PB'ers.

I follow offshore racing SBI and Superboat Stock, Cat Lite is also very interesting. The answer for me is YES it matters to me if a particular brand is racing it really develops the hull and overall product.

KAP

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Stating the obvious...The boats get to stretch out their legs a little bit on the poker runs vs a closed course race with shorter straights and dodging slow traffic. I would love to see a Point A to Point B race. There is just something about seeing all the boats lined up running as hard as they can.

·
deckboat owner
482 Posts
Television

I really enjoyed the coverage of races when on TV.
Even the wife and kids enjoy seeing it when its on.
Seeing such tremendous hardware is interesting no matter what it is doing.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comment:

I'm gonna put this same thread up on Offshore Only and see what kind of response is generated.

Yeah I know it is not fair.... as OSO is the offshore crowd to begin with. Hey, when it boils down this is the only site for us West Coast guys who enjoy offshore racing.

KAP

·
Registered
386 Posts
This could easily be a couple of thousand word rant, but I'll keep it short. U.S. offshore racing has been a mess for more than 25 years -- probably the most mis-managed form of power boat racing ever -- and this is from the perspective of a former racer (12 years), an APBA offshore referee and a fan of the sport. My opinion (and not a popular one) is the sport went far off-base when it decided to try and become a "spectator" sport and run lap courses on lakes and protected bodies of water close to shore. That's NOT offshore racing. I know the reasoning behind the change in philosophy (make it more fan friendly, attract more sponsors, etc., etc., etc.). But that never happened. In the 1960s and 70s, offshore racing was truly "offshore" and it was successful in securing very strong corporate sponsor relationships (i.e. Hennessy, Bushmills, Barcardi, CitiCorp, PSA Airlines, and others). It also received significant media attention. I'm sorry, watching 40-foot cats and vees run around a four or five mile oval course just isn't that entertaining (they just look slow and clumsy), especially when they are usually too far out from shore for spectators to enjoy. I guess what I'm saying is that in my opinion, offshore racing was meant to be a participant sport, not a spectator sport and all the internal politics and drama have only added to the problem.

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
I'll watch the offshore races when I catch them on TV, but that's about it.

Poker runs and the Catalina ski race are a lot more interesting to me.

As far as race results influencing a Boat purchase? Doesn't apply to me :D. Now if I had Kap's money, that would be a different story :)hand

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
This could easily be a couple of thousand word rant, but I'll keep it short. U.S. offshore racing has been a mess for more than 25 years -- probably the most mis-managed form of power boat racing ever -- and this is from the perspective of a former racer (12 years), an APBA offshore referee and a fan of the sport. My opinion (and not a popular one) is the sport went far off-base when it decided to try and become a "spectator" sport and run lap courses on lakes and protected bodies of water close to shore. That's NOT offshore racing. I know the reasoning behind the change in philosophy (make it more fan friendly, attract more sponsors, etc., etc., etc.). But that never happened. In the 1960s and 70s, offshore racing was truly "offshore" and it was successful in securing very strong corporate sponsor relationships (i.e. Hennessy, Bushmills, Barcardi, CitiCorp, PSA Airlines, and others). It also received significant media attention. I'm sorry, watching 40-foot cats and vees run around a four or five mile oval course just isn't that entertaining (they just look slow and clumsy), especially when they are usually too far out from shore for spectators to enjoy. I guess what I'm saying is that in my opinion, offshore racing was meant to be a participant sport, not a spectator sport and all the internal politics and drama have only added to the problem.
That is the point I was trying to make. I want to see them running hard from point to point in the ocean, not turning laps. Thanks for the insight!!

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts

Agree totally.

I do follow it a little but not with regularity.

I follow poker runs zero, beyond videos I might come across, and then I usually find myself clicking out after enduring about 2 minutes of fighting off sleep. I find them more boring than racing (to watch) as they are primarily just what twocents described above that racing has largely become. Watching a bunch of 30-40 footers run across Lake havasu in one or two foot wind chop or any lake for that matter just isn't that exciting. If they get in the rough stuff in the ocean that is a "little" different but their courses tend to be tame, nothing like the old offshore days twocents spoke of. I am a race enthusiast and anything less just isn't that exciting for me. Why is that? Because the equipment and drivers are not challenged beyond holding the throttle wide open. True offshore racing takes skill.

Rex(soontobeunpopularashell)one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o94ZHLXzTZM

The one below isn't bad but mainly because of production quality, not the boats running

YouTube - Thunderboat Row Pantera Boat Racing Family Reality Demo

YouTube - Nigel Hook Powerboat P1 2007 Italian Grand Prix

YouTube - Key West Offshore Race 2009

YouTube - 2008 Powerboat P1 - Rounds 1 & 2 in Italy

The above are all in the YoYoVideos thread too.

G

·
Agree totally.

I do follow it a little but not with regularity.

I follow poker runs zero, beyond videos I might come across, and then I usually find myself clicking out after enduring about 2 minutes of fighting off sleep. I find them more boring than racing (to watch) as they are primarily just what twocents described above that racing has largely become. Watching a bunch of 30-40 footers run across Lake havasu in one or two foot wind chop or any lake for that matter just isn't that exciting. If they get in the rough stuff in the ocean that is a "little" different but their courses tend to be tame, nothing like the old offshore days twocents spoke of. I am a race enthusiast and anything less just isn't that exciting for me. Why is that? Because the equipment and drivers are not challenged beyond holding the throttle wide open. True offshore racing takes skill.

Rex(soontobeunpopularashell)one
Great videos Mike. Thanks for posting

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Great Post "twocents",your analysis has many differing viewpoints as to why it really hasn't caught on but I will completely endorse your statement of "mismanagement" couldn't agree more.

Funny thing happenned this morning ended up chatting with Ivan "Ironman" Stewart formerly a Trophy Truck drive with Toyota Motorsports. A lot of what went on with boat racing is also endemic in the off road environment fan friendly etc...

What I really think it boils down to is television find me a sport that garners ratings, advertising and high paced action and you will watch it succeed. Soccer in this country never took off despite throwing millions of dollars at it via New York Cosmos and the like.

Thanks for your insight and view point "twocents". Well I know of several people getting ready this weekend for Coco Beach SBI races and I really wish I was going out for the opener it is gonna have some battles.

KAP

Westfield 11,

Appreciate your response it overwhelmed me with complexity:D....joking around.

KAP

P.S. Rexone...I like your selection of videos....I'm thinking video clips are the way to go even on Facebook they are extremely popular...Thanks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
QUESTION:

All you need to do is post up and say YES or NO!
KAP
Careful what you ask for, you might get it.

As to why, like circle track racing it's just boring. I would like to see real point to point racing, like from San Diego to San Pedro or Wahweap to Bullfrog, Miami to Bimini, etc. Minimum of 100 miles, mass start, and no weather cancellations. Real racing for real racers, with navigation a requirement and NO refueling. This would actually improve the boats and powerplants.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Honestly I dont follow it at all. my small brain only has so much capacity, lake boats and beer drinking is all it can handle:party-smiley-020::party-smiley-020::party-smiley-020:.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Careful what you ask for, you might get it.

As to why, like circle track racing it's just boring. I would like to see real point to point racing, like from San Diego to San Pedro or Wahweap to Bullfrog, Miami to Bimini, etc. Minimum of 100 miles, mass start, and no weather cancellations. Real racing for real racers, with navigation a requirement and NO refueling. This would actually improve the boats and powerplants.
Yeah I know I kinda sent out the request:|err:)...laughing.

Your looking for more endurance type offshore racing it's there just not publicized. Endurance races required some serious navigation because every minute counts to the target destination.

After dinner I post up some video's... of worthy racing although it is still technically a loop:D.

KAP

Ok dinner is over this is a good video with GPS transponder computer imaging and shows you one helluva course to run around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEn-ltVN7-w

I still like the second video down in Rexone's post very nice talk about production quality the Florida Powerboat Club's video is five star all the way.....and earns the Kappy seal of approval A++:).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts