Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wel all know things can happen on a moments notice, and after looking at the broken parts thread Iv'e been tossing the idea around of building a spare motor on standby just incase. What do you all think about that?

OverKill

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
I had all intentions on freshening up my old motor to have it around as a spare but I ended up parting the entire thing out. After the new one was finished I just lost interest in putting the old mill back together. Hope I don't regret that one day because I think a spare is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Hell i have a few of the exact same engines just sitting in the garage right now, and they are sitting next to my MclarenF1 and just in front of my Bugadi underneath the rack that is holding my "Mint" 55' Bel Air that i drive down to my yacht in Mission Bay! Its getting hard to crawl under boats these days and bust out a grinder and actually work when all of my toys seem to get neglected, if you need a spare engine just holla!:)sphss

NOT!

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
I'd give Teague a call... I know he's got a few spares laying around. :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hell i have a few of the exact same engines just sitting in the garage right now, and they are sitting next to my MclarenF1 and just in front of my Bugadi underneath the rack that is holding my "Mint" 55' Bel Air that i drive down to my yacht in Mission Bay! Its getting hard to crawl under boats these days and bust out a grinder and actually work when all of my toys seem to get neglected, if you need a spare engine just holla!:)sphss

NOT!
ROFL! :)hand

·
Registered
349 Posts
I still have my 30 over BBC short block. Decided to keep it for a spare. If I or any of the crew blows a motor, There's a back up ready to go.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I had enough spares until '05 ... killed 5 motors that season, in hind sight, it really was a "Bad Idea"

I have yet to still recover

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
By this time next yr it should be together. Intake to oil pan 512" Ford 10.2:1 compression 710 HP at 6,000 with the small roller cam. I just need to get a set of 6.536" Crower or Scat rod's and the oil pan.

Wish I had it right now, the 565 lost about 15 psi of oil pressure two weeks ago. Not enough material in the System One filter to determine if it's a bearing and it never dropped below 32 at idle or below 50 running. But both of those number's are off by about 15 psi from normal. Hoping the oil pick up came loose/cracked from rough water conditions ( wishful thinking I know).

Got to tear into it this weekend :)st :)st :)st

Sleeper CP :|err

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have:::::
1 for the Hydro
1 for my lake boat
3 for our sportsman Drag Car
1 for my kids Jr Dragster
and 1 for my Dragster

My girlfriend just doesn't understand all the extras :(:(
I tell her that's why she`s not my wife :)devil

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Spare parts, not spare complete motors. I've got a spare zero overbore SBC for the Jeep or Camaro, which ever needs it first, and a spare SM 420 for a rock crawler.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Spares

If I had the money and the space I'd have a spare for everything. If you can afford the $$ and the space it's a great Idea. It sure cuts out the down time when you break it. Note WHEN not IF!!:D

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have:::::
1 for the Hydro
1 for my lake boat
3 for our sportsman Drag Car
1 for my kids Jr Dragster
and 1 for my Dragster

My girlfriend just doesn't understand all the extras :(:(
I tell her that's why she`s not my wife :)devil
NICE!!!!!!!