Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got My impy delima worked out and am ready to wrap this thing up. Just have a couple of questions.
The rebuild kit came with 5 graphite packings. The overhaul manual said to put in 5 packings, but with 5 packings in they are flush with the outside of the bore and the gland will not go in enough for the adjuster nuts to reach the bolts. with only 4 packings in every thing seems perfect. Am i suposed to put 4 in initially and add one at a later date?
Also should I coat the inside walls of the packing bore with grease and coat the inside of the packings or shaft with grease, or is the graphite enough? Thanks.....Hal

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Got My impy delima worked out and am ready to wrap this thing up. Just have a couple of questions.
The rebuild kit came with 5 graphite packings. The overhaul manual said to put in 5 packings, but with 5 packings in they are flush with the outside of the bore and the gland will not go in enough for the adjuster nuts to reach the bolts. with only 4 packings in every thing seems perfect. Am i suposed to put 4 in initially and add one at a later date?
Also should I coat the inside walls of the packing bore with grease and coat the inside of the packings or shaft with grease, or is the graphite enough? Thanks.....Hal
Most times (packing bores differ slightly) one can typically get only 4 in with enough of the bore left over to allow for the packing "ears" to properly seat in , we typically use 4 but supply 5 (to add the 5th at a later date as the packings begin to compress) And we always use a coating of assy grease on the shaft and housing bore during install , Graphite or not ...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom, thats what I needed to know. Ill be done with this thing to nite!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts