Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
not much ... 8 psi?

Depends on what pump gas (premimum I would suppose), altitude, heat, your blower, etc etc etc

there are a lot of variables that go into that question ... almost too many to answer without a lot of information

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1471 under driven 20% at 5 # rite now,i was told i could run 10 to 12 on pump gas as long as i had 20 to 25 pounds of water preshure in the block

·
Registered
692 Posts
1471 under driven 20% at 5 # rite now,i was told i could run 10 to 12 on pump gas as long as i had 20 to 25 pounds of water preshure in the block
Comp ratio?

Forged internals?

Are you data logging?

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I wouldn't go over 8# on pump gas ... you could up it if you ran a 50/50 blend with 110 octane, gives you a 100 low lead blend with burn control properties.

Problem is that pump gas is such a poor performance fuel and is so inconsistent with engine temperature changes.

Blower motors & pump gas are not a good combinations IMO ... especially with a blower the size of yours.

·
FAT GUY IN A TPR STEALTH
1,828 Posts
boost is not as important ..as your final compression ratio .

your static com. + boost = your final...... an 8 to 1 motor with 8 pounds of boost = 12.4 final com. ..BDS AND OTHERS recommend that you keep the final to a maximum of 12.2 to 12.4 on pump gas. you can read everything on the BDS web sight.http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/faq.php

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
boost is not as important ..as your final compression ratio .

your static com. + boost = your final...... an 8 to 1 motor with 8 pounds of boost = 12.4 final com. ..BDS AND OTHERS recommend that you keep the final to a maximum of 12.2 to 12.4 on pump gas. you can read everything on the BDS web sight.http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/faq.php
Darrin is right ... but there are too many other things that determine if pump gas is going to be okay. I would be more worried about the stability of the pump gas itself along with the temperature and altitude in which he's running.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be getting after it with a 1471 and pump gas. I would keep the boost low.

Much cheaper to run Av Gas (which I don't usually support either) or a blended pump/race gas instead of learning the hard way and hurting your engine from a bad tune up.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
598ci 9.3-1 comp 1471w/intercooler and water/meth injection I run 10psi of boost on pump gas 30*timing.
you ever worry bout that water/meth tank goin dry? we put a methanol plate under the blow thru carb to hold off detonation alil more, runnin 16lbs on pump gas, or gonna try to anyways:D intake temps will be below 100* so it should be doable.gonna hobbs switch the methanol to turn on over 10psi, wether its running 16lbs or 30lbs.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use a safe injection box from snowperformance that will trigger a retard box to pull timing if flow stops under boost.I have used this system on a few motors with very good out come!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Tom,

blown Glass has one of the most bitchen set ups I have seen and really knows his shit!! That beast is making around 1200 on only 10psi and pump gas....!! pm him for a safe injection box and never worry about it going dry on ya!

I will try and call you this weekend Tom!

Travis

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
you ever worry bout that water/meth tank goin dry? we put a methanol plate under the blow thru carb to hold off detonation alil more, runnin 16lbs on pump gas, or gonna try to anyways:D intake temps will be below 100* so it should be doable.gonna hobbs switch the methanol to turn on over 10psi, wether its running 16lbs or 30lbs.
If your intake charge temps stay below 100, 16 psi on 92 will be easy!!! I just love turbos...... :D :)devil

Travis

·
Registered
358 Posts
pump

I've run 10 lbs on pump for some time now 8.5 intercooled checked 3 different times never saw any detonation, called boost power not log ago, they said there building there motors with 9.3 and running them on pump, cam will be a factor of course he was talking like 115-116 center line

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Tom,

blown Glass has one of the most bitchen set ups I have seen and really knows his shit!! That beast is making around 1200 on only 10psi and pump gas....!! pm him for a safe injection box and never worry about it going dry on ya!

I will try and call you this weekend Tom!

Travis
i'll be home i'm sure, i broke my rh lowest rib last wk and fractured the 1 above it:)sphss hurts like a biatch:)st but i gots gooooood pain meds:D no boating for 1 month was what i was told, i told her i would be doin 100+ by the 4th on the lake and she'd just needed to give me nuff pain meds to make it tolerable:p

i knew snow when he was just getting started. our zak chemical guy was pushing the snow kits for deisels about 9yrs ago. bill has a 2 gallon bullet tank for the methanol , i doubt it'll ever go dry as long as he tops it off every trip out. just shooting alil methanol under the carb for good measures, not really depending on it or anything, just want that extra kick in da assss

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
how much boost can you run on pump gas 496 blown intercooled
I wouldn't go over 8# on pump gas ... you could up it if you ran a 50/50 blend with 110 octane, gives you a 100 low lead blend with burn control properties.

Problem is that pump gas is such a poor performance fuel and is so inconsistent with engine temperature changes.

Blower motors & pump gas are not a good combinations IMO ... especially with a blower the size of yours.
I would listen to your engine builder, and Busby since he is a fuel guy. Could be an expensive fix if you overdo it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts