Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the motor out of my ultra and replaced the outer ring on the flywheel because it was missing 2 teeth on one place and 1 in another. While it was out I did an oil change because it was easy.
I havent done this before on a boat so I am very pleased with my performance and my buddy and I were talking about how much a shop would charge.
Any ideas?
It was a BBC and a legend jet.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
. . . plus the personal satisfaction of knowing you've done it right.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
You replaced the whole flywheel(hope you mean flexplate) or just the outer gear? If it was the entire flexplate and changed oil. probably around $500 to $750 depending on the shop and location

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im on hiatus right now so Ive got the time.
Ok, so Im still confused about a flywheel and a flexplate. I think I have a flywheel, heavy cast iron with a removable outer gear that we heated off then iced it down (flywheel) and heated up the new ring gear to get it back on. Im told a flexplate is much thinner and has silver dollar size holes in it?

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
hey doc how much could I save taking out my own appendix?:D
Flywheel/appendix similarities are few. If he'd have been flowing his own injection system, rebuilding his dry sump pumps, or rebuilding his own turbos, I believe I would have referred him to a pro unless he possessed those skills & equipment. If he did, it would be akin to a doctor removing his daughter's appendix which could, again be a great savings. Even the best doctors don't remove their own internal organs. Something about the effects of anesthesia, maneuvering in your own abdominal cavity, etc.

I suspect you were asking if he had the skills, tools and equipment to properly do this job himself? Based on the results, I understood he did. Time will tell. I know, I learned my mechanical skills through actually doing them.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Even the best doctors don't remove their own internal organs. Something about the effects of anesthesia, maneuvering in your own abdominal cavity, etc.tell. I know, I learned my mechanical skills through actually doing them.
Sissy! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts