Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a 10 or 12 qrt pan does anyone have a guess as to how much oil stays in the pan after running 1/4 mile over 6,000 r's ?

S CP :D

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
This might be an interesting thread. I don't know the answer, but I bet there's a bunch of variables that make a hard and fast answer difficult/impossible. How good the block drain back is, how long it takes to run the quarter, how good the pump is, etc. Pretty much any pan I've ever run has had good oil pressure for the whole pass, suggesting enough oil over the pick up.
My flats have all had issues on shut down though. Now we run an accusump and it's solved the oil pressure on shut down issues.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
There should be about 6 1/2 7 still in the pan. Are you running oil restrictors?
So you're saying some 3 qts are in the heads, block oil passages, other parts and clinging to things as it's making it's way back down south?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I agree with David519 and Hallet, both...there are tons of variables for one answer to be right, but you can bet at least three quarts are in transit. My guess is more. Also, the question might be how much is enough in the pan whlie running? Drag application vs. endurance. We know the lower the oil level the better for windage control, but we also like to get oil back in the pan to get it cooling as soon as possible. When is more oil in the sump better?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
This might be an interesting thread. I don't know the answer, but I bet there's a bunch of variables that make a hard and fast answer difficult/impossible. How good the block drain back is, how long it takes to run the quarter, how good the pump is, etc. Pretty much any pan I've ever run has had good oil pressure for the whole pass, suggesting enough oil over the pick up.
My flats have all had issues on shut down though. Now we run an accusump and it's solved the oil pressure on shut down issues.
david are you guys jus plumbed into the oil gallery with the accusump with the valve open? jus curious, seems like a nice easy way to ensure pressure never dives too low plus you can preoil before cranking.turbos like to keep spinnin after the motor is off, seems like a nice way to maintain oil pressure on the turbo instead of it coming to a stop with no oil pressure

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
My flats have all had issues on shut down tho ugh. Now we run an accusump and it's solved the oil pressure on shut down issues.
How about oil temp.....probably the most important variable....the difference between 90* oil and 150* is about half an hour on an oil change if i just let it run out the drain hose 10-15 min hot and 40+ cold.....
As far as oil stuck in the valve cover on a BBO.....with no oil restricters and the drain backs DRILLED and polished.....i took a junk valve cover and sunk a 3/4 pipe fitting in it as close to the head as i could get it....made a nut for the inside to make it seal....hose clamped a 7/8 piece of clear vinyl hose and hooked it into my oil drain hose.....i ran it 4-4500 for maybe 4 minuets with the oil up to temp...had to keep lookin over my shoulder to keep an eye on it...but the only time i saw any kind of oil in it was turning and that valve cover was on the outside of the turn....and even that might have gotten pushed up from the oil pan.

A sorta good check to see how much oil is in the upper part of the motor is wait for the motor to get cold with some 50Wt in it check oil level, fire it up for 30 seconds at 2k rpm..shut it off and check the level again...

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Lunati did a test on this many years ago. It was good tech info in the catalog but they took it out after a few publishings. I will try to find it.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I know my dry sump really isn't comparable to what you guys are looking for BUT during a run there's anywhere from 4 to 5 quarts in the sump with 8 quarts in the motor initially.. No restrictors and the lifter valley is open..

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
david are you guys jus plumbed into the oil gallery with the accusump with the valve open? jus curious, seems like a nice easy way to ensure pressure never dives too low plus you can preoil before cranking.turbos like to keep spinnin after the motor is off, seems like a nice way to maintain oil pressure on the turbo instead of it coming to a stop with no oil pressure
With a Dart block, we go into the big plug above the oil filter. For the most part, we leave the valve open and it fills in a couple seconds after the engine starts. At the end of the day, if we're not gonna change the oil, we'll start the motor and let it fill, then close the valve to pre-oil the next day. To be honest, the pre-oiling feature is not a big deal to me. It's mostly about maintaining oil pressure during a run/shut down.

How about oil temp.....probably the most important variable.......
We try to never run the motor WFO until the oil is at least 140+.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Ok, I am going to take off my idiot cap for a sec.

One thing that gets overlooked in engine builds is pickup location. I have seen it a couple times where the pickup is somewhere between two rods. The problem with this is not the oil capacity but the "spray" of oil between the rods will actually cut a path in the oil allowing the pickup to draw air. The result is falling oil pressure. Most guys add a quart or two and the problem betters itself. Yes it will fix the problem but your crank is now buried in oil. Its not so much how much oil is upstairs as how much is flowing PROPERLY to the pickup.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Yep. And where many think that the term windage refers to oil roping the crank, truth is, its the airblast off the bottom of the descenting pistons. Imagine taking an air gun to the inside of a full oil pan. With out a screen or at least a tray, that air will blow oil every where. Including away from the pump.

Also, CP, As you know, the stroke and the size of the crank case is everything. Other wise, Ford would be crap. Its really the only thing they have going for them:)hand

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
513 Posts
We try to never run the motor WFO until the oil is at least 140+.[/QUOTE]

Whats the hottest you want to run conventional oil.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts