Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just completely rebuilt boat, Jim guthrie had run it back in the day.

My dad got it and set it up for Ski Jet. Did some testing at river and this was the first race we made it too.

Put him out on the rope. No one on the barge to pull the rope, took off and caught the carbs, went about 60ft then my dad let off and it sling shot the boat backwards sinking it.

There was no damage until they tried to pull it up by the stringers with the rescue boat. Pulled the stringers out of the boat.

Ended up turning the boat into a sandbox at a preschool.

There used to be a sequence of pictures but i cant find them

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
because isnt it supposed to go from right behind you over the engine to the back of the boat without the rope being able to hook on anything?
11. A device will be required on all boats, which will deflect the holding rope over the highest point of the boat. Minimum specifications 3/4 x .049 tubing mounted at an approximate 45 degree angle and attached at both ends.

Today i dont think that would pass tech. It sounds as if this picture was taken before they changed the rules about the Rope deflector.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Thanks for the post. As a new guy on the ropes it's nice to know what not to do or build:cool:

Something like that looks like a accident waitin to happen!!!

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
11. A device will be required on all boats, which will deflect the holding rope over the highest point of the boat. Minimum specifications 3/4 x .049 tubing mounted at an approximate 45 degree angle and attached at both ends.

Today i dont think that would pass tech. It sounds as if this picture was taken before they changed the rules about the Rope deflector.
8.22 "The design of the deflector should be such that a driver may simply drop the holding rope behind his helmet as he proceeds away from the rope, and the rope should not subsequently snag, hang, pull, or catch any part whatsoever of the boat, engine, carburetor scoop, injector hat or tubes, flatbottom wing, miscellaneous hardware, and so forth....". "The deflector must extend forward at approximately a 45 degree angle, which should be sufficient to deflect or guide the holding rope up, over, and around whatever is located behind the driver".

both of these rules are -somewhat- open to interpretation. although rare, i've been in situations on sundays (including with njba) where the rope was never lifted after the countdown starts. i got under it and left, but if i had a deflector like joe had, no doubt it would've hooked the rope.

there are still several of these things being used. some associations will allow them, and some will not. check with the respective association. either way, if a rope get's under one of these things, it's not going to be pleasant for the owner/driver, or anybody that's on the rope...

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Finny had a deflector like that before on the 999. It caught once at a race and it ripped the rope right out of everyone's. Hurt a few guys hands in the process and sent all the boats floating. Huge waste of time.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
8.22 "The design of the deflector should be such that a driver may simply drop the holding rope behind his helmet as he proceeds away from the rope, and the rope should not subsequently snag, hang, pull, or catch any part whatsoever of the boat, engine, carburetor scoop, injector hat or tubes, flatbottom wing, miscellaneous hardware, and so forth....". "The deflector must extend forward at approximately a 45 degree angle, which should be sufficient to deflect or guide the holding rope up, over, and around whatever is located behind the driver".

both of these rules are -somewhat- open to interpretation. although rare, i've been in situations on sundays (including with njba) where the rope was never lifted after the countdown starts. i got under it and left, but if i had a deflector like joe had, no doubt it would've hooked the rope.

there are still several of these things being used. some associations will allow them, and some will not. check with the respective association. either way, if a rope get's under one of these things, it's not going to be pleasant for the owner/driver, or anybody that's on the rope...
I ve seen the rope even get hung up on ones neck.

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
for the record these types of deflectors were common in the past
Yup, but only because associations wouldn't enforce they're own rules. The pic below is my boat around 1990 with a legal deflector at that time. These rules have been around since the late 80's and hat's off to NJBA for finally stepping up and enforcing them. It's not NJBA's fault, but if they had become a hard ass about it sooner, maybe the outcome of the OP or finney's deal would have been different.
Boat 2.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts