Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Great reminder. My dad will be turning 84 in September and while he's still doing great, I realize he's getting up there in years. You always hear about the stories of people not telling someone how much they're loved until it's too late and they're gone. I'll be taking my dad fishing up to Mammoth labor day weekend and will be sure to tell him how much he means to us and to thank him for bringing me up and teaching me the love for the outdoors, boating and all the things we did as kids.:)devil

·
Registered
20,029 Posts
my dad is 80 and has cancer and lives in kingman az....after seeing this im gonna go see him and mom this weekend......and give them both a big hug and tell them what great parents they are and i love them so much...thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Thanks for sharing that!

My parents live in London but spend 6 months out of the year over here and 6 months over there. Whenever I see them now I always give them a big kiss and a hug! I will NEVER truly know the sacrifices they have made for me but I truly appreciated EVERYTHING that they've done for me and I'm trying my best to pay them back but will never be able to do so.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
That is a good one. :)

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. My folks too, are getting up there in age, 87 and 84. They are healthy(thank god), but there alot of small reminders that they are getting up in age. I am visiting them next week at their home in Canyon Lake, Ca. They always make time to come to see us, it is my turn!! They are the best parents I know!! I hope that I am living up to their expectations!!(I try everyday to do that). Be good humans, be good to others, smile and say hi to a stranger!! The "greatest" generation is slowly leaving us, embrace their morals and standards.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
John,

A friend of the family sends me every "f"ing email he gets. Drives me nuts somedays I'll get 10 stupid ass emails from him most I'll erase but everynow and then I'll read one. Here's the text from one he sent a month ago:

The Wooden Bowl:

A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and four-year grandson. The old man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered. The family ate together at the table. But the elderly grandfather's shaky hands and failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in-law became irritated with the mess. "We must do something about Grandfather," said the son. "I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor". So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed their dinners together.

Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl. When the family glanced in Grandfather's direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone. Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food.

The four-year-old watched it all in silence. One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, "What are you making?" Just as sweetly, the boy responded, "Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when you get old." The four year old smiled and went back to work.

The words so struck the parents that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done. That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family. And for some reason, neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.

=========================================================

S CP :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,

A friend of the family sends me every "f"ing email he gets. Drives me nuts somedays I'll get 10 stupid ass emails from him most I'll erase but everynow and then I'll read one. Here's the text from one he sent a month ago:

The Wooden Bowl:

A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and four-year grandson. The old man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and his step faltered. The family ate together at the table. But the elderly grandfather's shaky hands and failing sight made eating difficult. Peas rolled off his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped the glass, milk spilled on the tablecloth.

The son and daughter-in-law became irritated with the mess. "We must do something about Grandfather," said the son. "I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy eating, and food on the floor". So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed their dinners together.

Since Grandfather had broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl. When the family glanced in Grandfather's direction, sometimes he had a tear in his eye as he sat alone. Still, the only words the couple had for him were sharp admonitions when he dropped a fork or spilled food.

The four-year-old watched it all in silence. One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with wood scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, "What are you making?" Just as sweetly, the boy responded, "Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and Mama to eat your food in when you get old." The four year old smiled and went back to work.

The words so struck the parents that they were speechless. Then tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both knew what must be done. That evening the husband took Grandfather's hand and gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days he ate every meal with the family. And for some reason, neither husband nor wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the tablecloth soiled.

=========================================================

S CP :D
Jon,

Exactly.

Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Nice clip...
Lost my mother 1987 she was only 50, I was 20...think of her daily.

This month my brother has been missing for two years now, every day is mentaly tourtious not knowing if he's alive, or not.

Big Ray (pops) suffered a stroke two months ago. I am patient with him, but at times it's difficult trying to do for him. At times I wish I had help.
Very painful to now see a once very strong man (builder, stone mason, block layer, carpenter etc-all bull work) so very frail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts