Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to anchor a boat at the river. Every year I go I fight all weekend long. Any suggestions?

·
River Rat
337 Posts
How big is your boat and where are you trying to anchor?

On the lower Colorado, I use a danforth style anchor when I'm at a sandbar. I anchor it off the sandbar in the current. If there is alot of boat traffic, I'll throw a sand anchor off the back to keep it from creeping up on the sandbar.

When we're fishing, or just hanging in clear lake, I'll just anchor with the sand anchor and all is well.

My boat ain't that heavy though..... 20.5 Advantage Bowrider with a 225 Merc.....​

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Seriously, just go buy a box anchor, throw it in, and your done. It's that simple. A box anchor will hold three boats on the river.

Darrell.

R

·
0 Posts
Use the biggest hooker (anchor:D) you can get. I think mine is 17lbs. I have about 10-12' of heavy chain then another 50'+ anchorline river style. When all the other anchors pull out (box's included) mine hangs in there. Never pulled up so far.

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
when your looking for an anchor the size you think will do wont put it back and get a bigger one:D then dpending on your boat if its a tunnel good luck keeping it straight no matter how you anchor it it will aways have its nose in the wind depeding on size of course. just buy an anchor that is plenty heavy.

and if you can reach the bottom then bury it and you will be fine

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried the box anchor, but that did not seem to be enough. the boat would still move down river. My boat is a 24' cheetah. I mostly have this pproblem when we are in parker. It just seems as if my box anchor needs to have more weight to help.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
some places in parker have lots of rocks, I would get a box anchor for that stuff, for sandy area I use danforth everytime, hook it to the boat and throw it overboard and forget about it

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I have tried the box anchor, but that did not seem to be enough. the boat would still move down river. My boat is a 24' cheetah. I mostly have this pproblem when we are in parker. It just seems as if my box anchor needs to have more weight to help.
The biggest mistake (done it) with box anchors is not enough rope. If rope is too short it is pulling UP on the anchor. Just when you think you have enough rope on it, add 25 feet.

·
Punk in Drublic
2,165 Posts
The northern part of Parker (Castlerock, Riverlodge II, etc...) have some "special" permanent anchoring blocks (couple of cement filled trashcans, motor block and a few boulders) that hold our boat... Otherwise a good lenght of rope on a box anchor seems to work for us! :)hand

·
Got to get In da Wind
821 Posts
first time at Buckskin our box anchor couldn't get enough rope and chain out because of other watercraft using same area. We got a anchor bungy and that thing hooked to the box anchor held better than having a 100' of rope. Also tied the rear of the boat to large rock in case the anchor failed. use that bungy now when ever we go out and there's going to be some wake action. bungy gives a little without pulling up anchor.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I do the same NDAwind does. I have 21' Aftershock and i use a box anchor with a big heavy duty bungee line i bought from West Marine and it has no problem setting in Parker, even in the strongest of currents. Last Summer a nasty monsoon storm came quick in the morning with winds gusting to probably about 50 m.p.h. or so and the box anchor held no problem.

If you use a hard line it will eventually pull up the box anchor or any anchor for that matter unless you use a gigantic danforth anchor with a heavy ass chain which is cumbersome, takes up to much space and just flat out sucks to work with.

When im at the lower sandbar at Parker i use my box anchor off the bow and my slide anchor of the stern(facing toward shallower water). With the slide anchor in the back i use a small hard line since there isnt any chop there to pull it up. With that set-up i have my boat and 2 of my buddies boats( two other 21') tied up to me on either side and we dont move at all.

Maybe you already do but tie a bright colored bouy or something similiar to your bungee line and mark it with something to let you and other people know its your line and where your anchor is. And if your at the sandbar try to tie something off at your anchor like a water bottle or fender to let people know where your anchor exactly is so they dont step on it and slice their foot open. This is especially important with box anchors but is a good idea to do it with slide anchors that are underwater and cant be seen so people dont jam there toes walking into it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go buy a box anchor it will be the best 130.00 bucks you ever spend. I was always fighting with my old anchor plus you don't need any chain. Well worth it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you guys think the small box anchor would work for a 24 foot or should I step up and get the large.

·
engorged member
1,448 Posts
Do you guys think the small box anchor would work for a 24 foot or should I step up and get the large.
small one should work but if your worried about it go big
I think they make a medium box anchor too? I use a small with my boat and have had 3 more boats tied to mine and it didn't move an inch. However the bottom of the river where I boat is all sand/mud, the box anchor loves this and really digs in. As others mentioned, have plenty of rope, I made the mistake in Havasu in a friends boat, as soon as the anchor hit I thought we were good, 4 tries later and an extra 25' of rope and it finally grabbed. Us lower river guys usually only have 15' of rope on our anchors, usually no need for any more then that... :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Medium box anchor should be fine. Throw out the anchor and tie the bow facing into the current. Make sure you have plenty of scope, at least 5 to 1. Sand spike on the beach tied to the transom and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The one you want is small.

Baby = Personal watercraft

Small = Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'

Large = Offshore / Sport to 40', cabin cruiser to 32'

Ex-Large = House boats, cruisers longer than 32'

·
Dos XX
400 Posts
Box Anchor all the way. I have the small one and it has held a 25' Shockwave and a 26' Daytona without any problems. I haven't tried it with my 27' Daytona yet but don't think I will have any problems.

FYI, BoatersWorld is shutting their doors and they have Box Anchors at 20% off right now or if you want to take your chances you can wait and see if they come down any more.

R

·
0 Posts
Get the biggest danforth with 10-12' of heavy chain and 40-50' anchorline. Use a ski tube to swim the anchor out, yank it a few times to set it, and you're done. When you leave pull the anchor up, trailer your boat and use the tube to fetch the anchor. If you leave your boat in the river overnight this is the safest was to go. I used to leave my boats in and when everyone else was pulling up, mine hung in there no problem. Even in the worst of monsoons. However, the new boats sleeps on the trailer always. :D

·
Got to get In da Wind
821 Posts
I use what they call the small above, when I bought it at the show they called it the medium. Just look at the recommended boat length no need to go over as I think they go under to be safe.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts