Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Hallett Bubble Deck
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple holes in the dash area I want to fill and some holes in the stringers I want to seal - some permanently.

What does everyone recommend?

On the dash I was going to fiberglass the back, then make a plywood plug, then some kind of sealer/filler over the top (recommendations?). Then get something close (automotive touch up paint?) to cover so they are less noticeable.

On the stringers just clear RTV smeared in?

I've done some crude fiberglass repair before, but really have no experience with boat/gel coat repair. Any advice appreciated.

·
Village Idiot
3,586 Posts
For holes in the stringers, get a piece of wood dowel the size of the holes and cut it to length of the stringer. I then mix up resin and with a small paint brush or even a q-tip rub some resin all around in the hole and then put some on the dowel and press it in the hole. To really finish it off, grind both sides of the hole and dowel after it is cured and then cover with a small patch of fiber glass over each side. Even if you do an ugly job, it would still be way better than if you used RTV. Also doing it this way would be much better structurally.
Paul

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would do just what you stated for the dash and exactly what Paul stated for the stringers. The issue with the dash is that to keep from seeing the repair you need to feather out that hole pretty far, use matt and finish with cloth and a couple resin coats after. I Had to do the dash on my Sanger, and we ended up painting the entire dash side to side.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For a hole in the dash, use the 12 to 1 feather rule. Example shows a .25 thick glass surface irreguardless of hole diameter. .25 thick would be feather to 3 inches and fill.
If you have the time remove the plywood the entire width of the dash , make a new one. Glass it in and fill the hole at the same time. This will be much stronger than just putting a wooden plug to fill the hole
Slope Rectangle Line Font Plot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts