Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how-to-get-the-most-from-berkeley-12jg-AI have 557 ford all scat forage crank rod pistons, 429 heads with Cobra jet valves 2.25 ported and polished victor Junior 460 manifold all gasket match 950 cfm ultra Holley
Holley blue fuel pump msd electronic with 6al box I think I'm going to push 700 to 750 hp I need help with the jet...
how-to-get-the-most-from-berkeley-12jg-A

·
1,814 Posts
how-to-get-the-most-from-berkeley-12jg-AI have 557 ford all scat forage crank rod pistons, 429 heads with Cobra jet valves 2.25 ported and polished victor Junior 460 manifold all gasket match 950 cfm ultra Holley
Holley blue fuel pump msd electronic with 6al box I think I'm going to push 700 to 750 hp I need help with the jet...
i dont believe that the fuel pump will keep up with that kind of power. been there done that. if you lean out you can melt pistons & tullip your valves.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
More info is key regarding where the motor your building makes power , the hull design and type , assuming your 12jg jet is stock with stock shaft and aluminum impeller at minimum you'll want to consider a stronger pump shaft and Stainless or Bronze Impeller, bowl work or upgrade, trim/diverter , shoe, rideplate, loader etc Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
More information needed to give good answer as already shared by others. Someplace I read that Hp at WOT divided by 10 is rough approximation of fuel required in gallons per hour. Holley blue is rated as something like 88 gph at 9psi. I am guessing that rating is under ideal conditions so you may be a little skinny on the fuel pump like turbo wog stated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Fuel pump so called charts are the biggest joke. Gph requirements on those charts is so out touch with reality. If that little of volume was needed you would never see 400-500 gph pumps ever designed. And yes that Holley blue is only good for a 350-400 hp motor. And that pump is not reliable IMO

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Pump up grades

A question like yours will bring out all kind of answers. Some good; some bad. Each and every boat is a different application and has to be dealt with individually. General answer to your question is build a good tight pump, you will need things like a FTN diverter, top loader and several other items will greatly inprove the performance of your boat. For a pump builder to give you the biggest bang for your buck, you need a dyno sheet from your motor. Without it, there will be a lot of waisted time and money to get where you want to be. Not only will it help the builder to set you up correctly, you will probably pick up an extra 50 of so HP from dynoing your engine. Guessing at or estimating HP does not work to determine the proper cut of impeller. If you are interested in some personal help, give me a cll. That's all I've done for over 40 years. Thanks for your time.
Duane HTP
417-858-8616

·
Registered
385 Posts
duane does the HP off a dyno help tune more than the appropriate imp selection? as in specific loaders and nozzles or is those things hull specific?

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Fuel pump so called charts are the biggest joke. Gph requirements on those charts is so out touch with reality. If that little of volume was needed you would never see 400-500 gph pumps ever designed. And yes that Holley blue is only good for a 350-400 hp motor. And that pump is not reliable IMO
well damn. i guess i should return the holley blue that was in my boat for 10 years, 11 championships and over 50 race wins. with just a little over 700hp... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
duane does the HP off a dyno help tune more than the appropriate imp selection? as in specific loaders and nozzles or is those things hull specific?
The dyno chart with the HP and Tq curves help to get much closer to the appropriate Imp Selection the first time. Putting the engine on the dyno usually results in picking up a few extra HP. The loaders and nozzles are more application specific.

Duane HTP

·
Registered
466 Posts
You shouldn't return that Holley blue you should bronze it. Lol. You sir have the only one in existence. Here's a thought replace it with a bigger fuel volume pump and watch your boat go quicker. Lets see I'm walking down the pit of pro mod or comp or pro stock car race and do I see an 80 gph pump?? Lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
Of course the Holly Blue will work, but my opinion will effect top end. The fuel pump is rated as free flow. What effects the free flow are the size of the lines from tank, lines from pump to carb and then you add filters in between. Fords like a lot of fuel flow for best performance. I would upgrade from the Blue.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
You shouldn't return that Holley blue you should bronze it. Lol. You sir have the only one in existence. Here's a thought replace it with a bigger fuel volume pump and watch your boat go quicker. Lets see I'm walking down the pit of pro mod or comp or pro stock car race and do I see an 80 gph pump?? Lol
every year or so, this stuff comes up again and all i can do is chuckle. all the resident "experts" saying "it'll never work". it isn't a promod or nhra prostock deal. it's a bracket boat. one weekend running 9.50s with the swtd, it ran 109-111 on 5 different passes without any reduction in fuel pressure. in the pc running 9s, it ran 114-116 5 passes at the wf's and never had any reduction in fuel pressure. i'm not trying to make 1400-2500 hp. just a litte more than it takes to run 9.0s.

Of course the Holly Blue will work, but my opinion will effect top end. The fuel pump is rated as free flow. What effects the free flow are the size of the lines from tank, lines from pump to carb and then you add filters in between. Fords like a lot of fuel flow for best performance. I would upgrade from the Blue.
how will it affect top end if fuel pressure after the regulator is maintained constant from rope to finish line?? 8 from tank to pump, 8 from pump to regulator, 6s from regulator to all 4 bowls. in your "opinion", how much more is needed beyond 7 psi on the bowls at wot for 10-12 seconds?? if it holds solid for 10-12 seconds at wot, how many more seconds or minutes will it take for supply to exceed demand??? just stating "it will go quicker or faster" with a bigger fuel pump, when you two know nothing about it, is a bit of an overreach.

i'm not suggesting everybody ditch their stuff and run blue's. but you cannot find one brand/manufacturer of fuel pumps that has not had a failure. none of them are "fail proof". but for the op, i have a bit more than 700-750hp being absorbed by the jet drive, and the blue has worked fine for 11 years without any problems. if you want to use something else, by all means do it. but to say the blue "won't work because it's not big enough" is beyond ridiculous...

·
Registered
359 Posts
every year or so, this stuff comes up again and all i can do is chuckle. all the resident "experts" saying "it'll never work". it isn't a promod or nhra prostock deal. it's a bracket boat. one weekend running 9.50s with the swtd, it ran 109-111 on 5 different passes without any reduction in fuel pressure. in the pc running 9s, it ran 114-116 5 passes at the wf's and never had any reduction in fuel pressure. i'm not trying to make 1400-2500 hp. just a litte more than it takes to run 9.0s.

how will it affect top end if fuel pressure after the regulator is maintained constant from rope to finish line?? 8 from tank to pump, 8 from pump to regulator, 6s from regulator to all 4 bowls. in your "opinion", how much more is needed beyond 7 psi on the bowls at wot for 10-12 seconds?? if it holds solid for 10-12 seconds at wot, how many more seconds or minutes will it take for supply to exceed demand??? just stating "it will go quicker or faster" with a bigger fuel pump, when you two know nothing about it, is a bit of an overreach.

i'm not suggesting everybody ditch their stuff and run blue's. but you cannot find one brand/manufacturer of fuel pumps that has not had a failure. none of them are "fail proof". but for the op, i have a bit more than 700-750hp being absorbed by the jet drive, and the blue has worked fine for 11 years without any problems. if you want to use something else, by all means do it. but to say the blue "won't work because it's not big enough" is beyond ridiculous...
Like I said, of course the Blue will work and 7psi is what you need to maintain. Also, you have had good luck for 10 to 12 seconds with the blue, good for you. Do you know what your PSI is half way thru your run? Might scare you. I wouldn't run the risk at over 100mph and having a shut down because of no fuel in the bowls. Just my opinion. You be safe.
I re-read your top post and you do know your psi half way thru. My bad. Again, be safe!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Once again you are confusing fuel pressure with fuel volume. Just because you have adequate pressure thru your run doesn't mean you have adequate fuel volume. If this was the case your 80 gph pump would be the most used pump on the planet. This volume reason is why we all use 250-500 gph pumps. You can run an 80 gph pump and be fine. Hard to notice starving volume. Put a 250-280gph pump in her and same pressure but ET quicker.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Once again you are confusing fuel pressure with fuel volume. Just because you have adequate pressure thru your run doesn't mean you have adequate fuel volume. If this was the case your 80 gph pump would be the most used pump on the planet. This volume reason is why we all use 250-500 gph pumps. You can run an 80 gph pump and be fine. Hard to notice starving volume. Put a 250-280gph pump in her and same pressure but ET quicker.
BS, I would bet that Bob could teach you a thing or two about pressure/volume. If you dont have the adequate volume it will not maintain pressure at the needles & seats. I'm going to take a guess that Bob is datalogging his pressures and "knows" that his pump is maintaining plenty of pressure/volume.

·
Registered
633 Posts
We wanted to test this volume thing out so We switched from a Holley Blue to two Holley Blacks one weekend on my mom's SBF drag car and it picked up .3 in a 1/8th. Just saying.

·
Registered
385 Posts
first i want to preface im not picking sides. i do not understand so who ever wants to take the time to explain it will be appreciated. i have always thought pressure and volume would be related in a linear fashion. 80 gph will hold 6 psi in a -3 line half a foot long, all day as the -3 is the limiting factor. the same in a - 16 line 7 foot long, will only get there after after it has time to fill the line and pressurize and if a large opening is present then it would drain faster than it could fill.

wouldnt this argument need a few more facts before a solid "one is better than another" answer could be stated. as in line size, regulator location, and total volume inside the fueling system after the pump?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts