Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey every one I was wondering what the best way to paint a jet boat cheep but nice??? and how I should prep the boat... :bug:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do you want cheap or nice? you need to define your budget a little more and remember that fiberglass is not metal, so different process than painting a car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Paint

I have painted several. Tops & bottoms. The key to a successful paint job is in the prep work, i assuming you will be painting over the original gelcoat right? I always filled and light scratches with body filler or spot putty, then I always use epoxy sealer primer before I lay down any color. My preference on paint is Matrix brand Acrylic Urethane but to each his own on paint brands. Contrary to what some people may think, automotive paint works well on boats. Its not as hard or thick as gelcoat but as far as durability it does fine, just stay off the rocks, sandy beaches are fine. I will be repainting my 87 youngblood picklefork soon so you may want to follow me on here as I will post many pics as I go. Just remember to not cut corners and to take your time. I assume you are doing all the work yourself, if not.... Then you can get ready to pay a steep price if a shop does all the work. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have painted several. Tops & bottoms. The key to a successful paint job is in the prep work, i assuming you will be painting over the original gelcoat right? I always filled and light scratches with body filler or spot putty, then I always use epoxy sealer primer before I lay down any color. My preference on paint is Matrix brand Acrylic Urethane but to each his own on paint brands. Contrary to what some people may think, automotive paint works well on boats. Its not as hard or thick as gelcoat but as far as durability it does fine, just stay off the rocks, sandy beaches are fine. I will be repainting my 87 youngblood picklefork soon so you may want to follow me on here as I will post many pics as I go. Just remember to not cut corners and to take your time. I assume you are doing all the work yourself, if not.... Then you can get ready to pay a steep price if a shop does all the work. Hope this helps and good luck.
Thank u very much this will help a lot

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Here's world famous Billy B boat/car painter at work.......................

BillyBRaysoncraft2.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts