Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we are getting serious about quake/disaster preparation: extra precription meds, large propane tank, tri-fuel generator, lots of stashed food, bandages, stored water, etc. We intend to be ready to keep the two of us and our German Shepherds for at least 60 days, well the question arose regarding our neighbors: we assume that they will not be prepared at all. That their food will run out in a couple of days and that they will be unable to cook once any propane BBQs run empty, and that they will be over knocking on my door with their crying hungry kids looking for a meal. What would you do? Look them in the eye and tell them tough shit, you didn't plan ahead and we did, now F off down to the community shelter? Or open your house and be a good citizen and help out?

The wife is a little uncomfortable with slamming the door in their faces and I can see why, but I also am well armed with the intention of saying just that and to hell with my neighbors. What would you do? Give up your stuff for the community kitchen? Or hunker down, keep a low profile and don't let anyone know we have electricity or cooking fuel as well as a working freezer and dried food?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
WWJD

I would take care of my own. Maybe if this concerns you have a neighborhood meeting with them and talk about being prepared.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
So, we are getting serious about quake/disaster preparation: extra precription meds, large propane tank, tri-fuel generator, lots of stashed food, bandages, stored water, etc. We intend to be ready to keep the two of us and our German Shepherds for at least 60 days, well the question arose regarding our neighbors: we assume that they will not be prepared at all. That their food will run out in a couple of days and that they will be unable to cook once any propane BBQs run empty, and that they will be over knocking on my door with their crying hungry kids looking for a meal. What would you do? Look them in the eye and tell them tough shit, you didn't plan ahead and we did, now F off down to the community shelter? Or open your house and be a good citizen and help out?

The wife is a little uncomfortable with slamming the door in their faces and I can see why, but I also am well armed with the intention of saying just that and to hell with my neighbors. What would you do? Give up your stuff for the community kitchen? Or hunker down, keep a low profile and don't let anyone know we have electricity or cooking fuel as well as a working freezer and dried food?

Question? all this assuming you are alive and have a house to live in with a Disaster:)sphss

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Question? all this assuming you are alive and have a house to live in with a Disaster:)sphss
We also have a large tent and all our camping gear stored outside of the house with all the other supplies. If we don't die in the quake we should be alright. The wife is an RN and able to deal with wounds and broken bones, burns, etc. Due to her advice medical supplies were near the top of the list.

My worry is being able to keep watch 24/7 if we have to turn away people. I am thinking it would take a minimum of 4 people to maintain guard over a long period of time though the dogs will help. You gotta sleep sometime.....

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
We also have a large tent and all our camping gear stored outside of the house with all the other supplies. If we don't die in the quake we should be alright. The wife is an RN and able to deal with wounds and broken bones, burns, etc. Due to her advice medical supplies were near the top of the list.

My worry is being able to keep watch 24/7 if we have to turn away people. I am thinking it would take a minimum of 4 people to maintain guard over a long period of time though the dogs will help. You gotta sleep sometime.....

Your posts are extremely scary,are we/you really living in these times?:|err

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
you need to join/visit some of the threads I am a member on...

this one is kinda to the point..When SHTF - The Modern Day Survival Forum

this one is more of a christian setting... frugals forum you have to join.. it is the kindest..
Frugal's Forums

then this one is kinda all over..Survivalist Forum Survival Gear Reviews and Self Sufficiency Articles

as far as what to do, it is up to you, you can turn them away or start planning now how to help, it is best to get the neighbors involved..
As far as me.....what do you think....I will not say on a public forum...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Your posts are extremely scary,are we/you really living in these times?:|err
yes we are, if we have a 9.0 in downtown L.A. and it knocks out power. it will be worse then Katernia cause most will not know it was comming and help we be long ways off.
So no power or water for months at some places.
We already have BOL (bug out location), the thing is, not if it will happen but when. the experts say we are over due.

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
I'm always cordial with my neighbors, but never close. We're neighbors, not best friends. Small favors, sure, do 'em all the time. But what you describe is a different scenario entirely. In such an emergency it's my belief that we must take care of our own first, and do nothing that jeopardizes our ability to do so. Sharing what one was wise enough to stockpile in a time when it's unknown when more can be obtained is foolishness.
I know my obligation, my family. And if it's cold then so be it, but I'd have absolutely no problem telling the unprepared to fork off and hit up the community center or whatever.
If, by chance, there were roving bands of criminals and looters and such I wouldn't deny the neighbors security. Got waaaaaay more than enough ammo;) But they supply their own food.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Wait, you're prepared for a 60 day survival, but you think you're going to survive the initial quake/emergency that created that kind of preparedness?

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
My opinion is, you won't have to worry about it very long because in the event of a huge disaster where you would need 60 days of supplies, the military will come and confiscate your supplies for the greater good( read politicians)

part of your planning needs to involve a meeting place with several of your closest family or friends where you can defend your supplies.
if the system breaks down, and the assistance checks stop the cities will implode,
there is not enough law enforcement to protect you. your best bet will to be away from this. there are several good books on this subject.

now if you just want to be prepared for a few days invite your neighbors over and help each other out.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Being prepared is a good thing, but....I think this may be a little bit overboard, and.....what kind of neighbors do you have, fer gosh sakes? Yes, we have seen how things went really bad after Katrina, but there were a lot of extenuating circumstances that led to that debacle.....Heck, I'm surrounded by illegal immigrants, but I'm pretty sure that most if not all will come together....but I have to admit.....I won't know until it happens.....I'll get back to you......:)sphss:)coffee

·
PB Administrator
1,205 Posts
I have some extra food for my neighbors if it is too difficult for them to evacuate. Nothing great, but 100lbs of white rice, 50lbs of beans and a few other items was like $50 at cosco. Some mylar bags, O2 absorbers and the total cost of keeping your neighbors alive (but not too happy) isn't bad.

To answer Wet's question, the quake is not what will kill most people, it is lack of water, food and shelter after the event that could be the most damaging. I have a very complete disaster setup but I doubt I will ever have to use it. Even if the big one hits this is America. We won't respond as well as Japan, but it isn't Haiti.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ive Been Preparing For The Same As Well. Lots Of Food, Water, Supplies, Gas, Lots Of Guns And A Few Thousand Rounds Of Ammo. I Believe There will A Situation Like This In Our Lifetime Wheteher It Be Natural Disaster, World War Etc.

I Would Be Happy To Help Others That Are Prepared, But Some people Have Nothing Prepared. I Dont Think I Would Help Them Food Wise Just My Family Members. Although I Could Not Say No to Helping Children. Every Situation Will Be Different.

I Live In A Rural Area Which I Think Is Better Than The City And I Always Tell Family Members To Make It This Way Asap. Most People Think Im crazy But Id Rather Be Prepared.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
lets look at it this way....

problem..
1. minor quake some lose of power and service's..(local) (help from other towns,states)

my family and I head outside climb in the r.v and have food, water etc.. from the house and what is stored in the r.v.

2. bigger quake with lots of service outage for weeks...(a few counties)(again some help comming from other states)

again, in the r.v., bring all the food from fridge and keep the freezer closed for while you eat the perishables first,use solar panels for 90% electricity, use bbq for cooking heating hot water (this is why you store water)

or we can take the r.v. to a safe area use the hook ups and hope our house is not broken into...

3. major quake whole state...
yes, then we gather what we can and head to a safe state with family and I come back to rebuild our house if need be.
not living in r.v. for this long of time..

If you stay in a affected area with little law then you have another Katrina or worse, this is why I would want my family out

4. major quake ... whole country is affected...

head to BOL, with other like minded people we already met with detailed plans on where, when and who....
we will have everything we can gather as fast as we can...the out of the way roads have been tested along with other alternate routes. yes, you may think this is extreme and so do I....
I will not go into to much detail other then I do pray for the best.......

you can replace quake with what ever meltdown you like, it is the one I use...

what do I think.......

some where between 1 and 3 can happen any day.. so you should have some sort of plan..
I will pray number 4 is never felt in this country, but the bible says you should prepare and not just your soul.........

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
I've been doing this preparation for decades. Some of the products are very inexpensive yet quite nutritious and plentiful and they store quite well. Rice (brown and white), wheat (hard red and white), many kinds of beans, oats, and other grains. They MUST be properly packaged to be long lasting in storage. You must also have a 72 hour kit for the instant the emergency hits. 72 Hour Emergency Kit Checklist Never forget water! If you can't rotate it often, you must have purifying tablets and of course, cooking fuel and equipment. One of the best items I purchased and use often is a Sun Oven. I can make a complete pot roast without any energy on a sunny day. It cooks anything a regular oven can. Sun Ovens Solar Cooking - Sun Oven, Solar Cooking | SunOven.com

I have enough for myself/wife and every family member and grandchild for quite some time. I also have a surplus for those hungry neighbors and their children and, I most importantly have a substantial stock of firearms and ammunition to make sure these items are appropriated by me and not someone else. :D

These things are not only for global disasters. I fed my family out of ours after Jimmy Carter's 19% interest rates killed my business for a couple years. We store Milk, Freeze dried vegetables, meat products, TVP, desserts, drink mixes, potato flakes and a couple dozen more things because I want variety. Use your head and buy a little at a time while there is no disaster looming.

Here's a great place to start:
http://beprepared.com/default.asp?&SID=GOOGLE&EID=GLB200703015&gclid=CJbSnr6CwagCFQoTbAodISBnpQ

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
What method of containers do you guys use to store water and what quantity of water do you feel is sufficient?

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
What method of containers do you guys use to store water and what quantity of water do you feel is sufficient?
Here's one site's answer: I use the 50 gallon blue drums and rotate the water semi-annually. I also own a custom home lot with a well that pumps 70 gallons per minute with a 2000 gallon underground storage tank where I plan to build our next home if I ever make money again.

21ST CENTURY FOOD STORAGE - Water Storage

·
Registered
988 Posts
This Is A Good Thread. Its Helpful Seeing That Other People think Alike And Also Seeing What Other Things I Should Stock Up On.
Good New Video Clip
If It Comes To This Ill Be In My Ghillie Suit On The Hill Behind My House With My Sniper Rifle And Body Armor.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I've been thinking for sometime it might not be a bad idea to have a small RV stocked fully and ready to roll if necessary. Something that could be used at home if home was damaged severely or ready to roll out of the city area if something really catastrophic were to occur. Stocked with 2-3 months worth of essentials, food water, ammo, guns could be added before rolling, etc. Nothing extravagant, just a used RV in decent shape you "could" live out of if you had to for awhile. Not necessarily something you'd choose to go on vacation in necessarily. If one already owns an RV that is great, but many, like myself, don't.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've been thinking for sometime it might not be a bad idea to have a small RV stocked fully and ready to roll if necessary. Something that could be used at home if home was damaged severely or ready to roll out of the city area if something really catastrophic were to occur. Stocked with 2-3 months worth of essentials, food water, ammo, guns could be added before rolling, etc. Nothing extravagant, just a used RV in decent shape you "could" live out of if you had to for awhile. Not necessarily something you'd choose to go on vacation in necessarily. If one already owns an RV that is great, but many, like myself, don't.
A Perfect Assett. Im In The Market For A Motorhome. For Fun And Camping And Whatever Else It May Be Needed For.

Just Want One With A BBC. Worst Case Scenario I Could Drop My Boat Motor In It And Take It To The Drags Lol.
Growing Up My Dad Had A Class C Motorhome With A BBF Built Motor Gibson Exhaust, Crower Cam, Heads, Carb Tuned, Would Spank Any Motorhome Pulling A Trailer Up The Grade.

Anyways Yes In The Market For A Decent Motorhome.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts