Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to see how my fellow PB are doing. My business seems to just be stumbling along. some weeks are good and some are not so good. Still down about 30 -40% from 2006. Talk to many people during the week in my business, most say the same thing, even Law, doctor, offices have cut back. I am still making a little money once in awhile. But getting real burned out, again. With higher taxes and the price of gas. Just seems that things are not getting any better. Not looking forward to getting my tax bill, even though I pay quarterly, I have a bad feeling this April. If anyone wants to start a tax revolt this year I am in.:)Unsure

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Similar here. "Most" I talk to are the same. A few are fortunate and doing really well but it is not many.

I talk to people in all fields of small business that I run across. Some examples

Dentist of 25 years: Slow, has cut back and laid off, easy to get appt now, before was 3-4 mo wait for cleaning for decades
Sandwich shop local: off 50-60%
Convenience Store: prime spot, just doing so-so, not horrible but not great
Alarm co. - very slow
Many of my vendors, very slow, limping along
Some vendors are ok
Machine shops seem busy but not backlogged much
In marine ind, east coast is doing generally much better than west coast.
I hear this from performance reps also.
Marine repair shops - stuff to do but not backlogged
Some are really slow.

I do think phone is ringing more this year than one year ago this time but it is hard to gauge. That is seat of pants only and isn't being reflected in revenue. Its very early in season though for us to be busy yet. Gas at $4+ is not a good omen. Could be $5 by summer which will kill marine and recreational imo. Gov wants more taxes. They don't get it at all.

Some big businesses seem to be kicking ass. I certainly don't see it on the small business level though very much.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
It SUCKS. I am thinking of just walking away. I get so PISSED. In Cali they also raisied taxs. So I got hit twice. 7 years ago making more money the I could spend to now not knowing if the bill will be paid on time. I might not be the right person to ask.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
About the same in my part of the world also. My week to week just sucks but at the end of the month the numbers ain't that bad. It seems like I'll be flowin pretty good and BAM !!!! Kinda like they just turn it off :(

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, the phone is ringing a little more and have had more internet bookings the last 3 months, but still way off. Some companies I have talked to are busy also, like supermarkets, EBT specials, some electrical contractors, machine shops, are not back logged, but seem to have some work.

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
I’m a PM for a company that builds from the "ground up" and maintains-upgrades cellular phone towers for all the major carriers, verizon, sprint, ATT, Tmobile, ect (we are always upgrading the technology at the cell sites, you guys like you skype right??, I make that happen:wink2:, business for me is ALWAYS up.
People would rather pay their cell phone bill then their rent or food on the table, sad but true.

I feel fortionate to fall in the industry im in...

·
Bah...
2,546 Posts
My customers that have money are spending it moderatley, the average "middle class" customers are sealed up tighter than a clam. I usually get some electronics upgrades, trolling motors, some repowers this time of year from them, nothing... zilch. One swim platform and that is it.

High Performance work, two powerheads to Australia in November and tumble weeds since.

New boat sales, nothing but a bunch of prop spinners and internet "well so and so can sell me the same boat for $100 less" shoppers. The latter I won't even acknowledge or waste a conversation on anymore.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I returned to school after 25 years :))THumbsUp

Either I'm making a career switch, or broadening my skillset/services offered...haven't decided yet.

I'm actually super excited about it, moving into the IT field, which is on its way up, up, up.

Business, which is performing various services for title companies, lawyers and banks, is still up and down. but, it's just too hard to make money on anything with all the ''cutbacks" to various budgets.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I returned to school after 25 years :))THumbsUp

Either I'm making a career switch, or broadening my skillset/services offered...haven't decided yet.

I'm actually super excited about it, moving into the IT field, which is on its way up, up, up.

Business, which is performing various services for title companies, lawyers and banks, is still up and down. but, it's just too hard to make money on anything with all the ''cutbacks" to various budgets.
Where are you going to school if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Where are you going to school if you don't mind me asking?
Cal State Fullerton for Computer Forensics, leading to EnCe certification

Cisco Networking Academy at Riverside Community College for networking, leading to CCNA

Self-studying for the Security+ cert.

After the CCNA/Security+ I will move on to other information security certs.

Then I will finish a degree, or try to get hired on somewhere and let them pay for school, eyeballing Western Governors University for a general ed online curriculum, it's only about $3600 per semester.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
2008-2010 was horrid.

2011 to present has been better with a little of an upsweep.

Right now, competition is starting to get extrememly fierce and I just feel a crash coming on. Might just be my doom and gloom attitude though

Nothing a Coup d'état couldn't fix though...:partyguy:

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
The end of 2012 was horrible. I thought I had several projects to start in the new year, but I cant seem to push anyone off the fence. So it is still slow. I am bidding more but the competition is fierce, and the prices are down to the "stupid" level. Even the illegals are hungry. I cant compete against them or the cash guys. I went to bid a project in Pasadena near the Langham hotel. The project had been raided a few weeks earlier by a task force that included officers from the State EDD and the IRS. Had a lot of people working there, plumbers, electricians, A/C guys, pool builders, framers. They questioned all the employees separately from the contractors. Fined those without workers comp and licenses. I am sure those who were not paying payroll are looking at audits. Word is this is being funded by taxes from Obamacare to crack down on the underground economy. (not trying to be political). If this brings competitive bid prices to a reasonable level then I am all for it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm in the business communications field. Panasonic dealer for phone systems, business internet, cloud VOIP systems. I work alone and am good at what I do, so I stay busy enough to survive. Over the last 5 years so many changes in the field I've had to change my direction. I'm using my 25+ years experience in phone system installations to try and sell the Cloud VOIP stuff. You can call these companies direct and talk to some kid who has a script to sell you their system or call me and I'll help with the design, installation and management of the system. Cost to the end user is the same, if I sell it I get about $3 a phone per month. Target 10,000 phones

End result is a good year is about $200k gross, last year about $85k with profit margins at a all time low. To top it off my effective tax rate as a self employed person as about 30%, if I make $30k tax bitch gets $9k and I get to live in poverty. Not really, my wife does ok so I can golf 2 to 3 times a week and maybe go skiing once a week and maybe get to the river once or twice a month.

Damn life is good!:partyguy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i vacuum pools,
its winter in nj,
slow as \can be. as usual
but i do visit eleven indoor pools n hot tubs
every 2 or 3 weeks this winter , more than ever!

·
Registered
39 Posts
by the way,
if you are reading this,
own a swimmin pool ,
and want top notch weekly pool maintenance this summer,
in new jersey,
look me up. (competitionpoolnj.com)------(973 542 0145)
!

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I'm in the business communications field. Panasonic dealer for phone systems, business internet, cloud VOIP systems. I work alone and am good at what I do, so I stay busy enough to survive. Over the last 5 years so many changes in the field I've had to change my direction. I'm using my 25+ years experience in phone system installations to try and sell the Cloud VOIP stuff. You can call these companies direct and talk to some kid who has a script to sell you their system or call me and I'll help with the design, installation and management of the system. Cost to the end user is the same, if I sell it I get about $3 a phone per month. Target 10,000 phones

End result is a good year is about $200k gross, last year about $85k with profit margins at a all time low. To top it off my effective tax rate as a self employed person as about 30%, if I make $30k tax bitch gets $9k and I get to live in poverty. Not really, my wife does ok so I can golf 2 to 3 times a week and maybe go skiing once a week and maybe get to the river once or twice a month.

Damn life is good!:partyguy:
Damn, I thought you rich business owners paid less in taxes than your secretaries, like 14%!! :happy:

I think the only people that are doing fairly well at this moment is anyone with a government (state/local/federal) contract. The government still thinks they're floating in money. Especially since it isn't theirs!!

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I work in Houston for Bechtel Engineering. This office is petro chem and refining. The big deal now is LNG (Liquid Natural Gas). We are jammed with work designing plants that take the liquid and turn it back to gas or take the gas and turn it into liquid for shipment all over the world. Engineering in Houston now in general is booming. Any company that makes equipment used in this type of industry is jamming. I feel very lucky to be in this industry.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Just want to see how my fellow PB are doing. My business seems to just be stumbling along. some weeks are good and some are not so good. Still down about 30 -40% from 2006. Talk to many people during the week in my business, most say the same thing, even Law, doctor, offices have cut back. I am still making a little money once in awhile. But getting real burned out, again. With higher taxes and the price of gas. Just seems that things are not getting any better. Not looking forward to getting my tax bill, even though I pay quarterly, I have a bad feeling this April. If anyone wants to start a tax revolt this year I am in.:)Unsure
Screw it's, been slow in the tool/parts mfg. " I'm in for a tax revolt"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Business

If business gets any better i will take another vacation been on 3 so far this year going to hawaii for 10 days in april rented a 6 bed house right on the sand for a family party for 10 days.....

doubled sales from 2011 to 2012 looking about the same so far for 2013

·
Administrator
16,894 Posts
Business is acceptable here. We are extremely diverse as far as machine shops go. We do automotive engines, Industrial manual repair and CNC manufacturing.

The engine shop always has something to do. And we use that shop for some industrial work. Honing balancing etc.

The industrial has always been the bread and butter and fortunately has been the busiest of the three for 4 months or so. Manufacturing plants facility maintenance feeding us. When they are broke down, price does not matter. And always want spares made.

CNC manufacturing is horribly competitive. Generally takes 2 shifts and every machine running to make any profit. We have reverted to taking the jobs with short lead time. Willing to pay more for expedite service. The CNC shop is the biggest PITA. Machinists have no loyalty, feel they are entitled to come in late, stay on their smart phones when parts have a long run time. They jump from shop to shop chasing overtime. It's always a battle.

Showed a small profit last year. Have leaned down expenses this year. Expect a pretty good year.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts