Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about the various flat/runner bottom designs out there. I ownly know generalities so if anyone can clue me into what would be the best type of hull for me to be on the look for I would appreciate it. I had a Kurtis Kraft that I bought from Mike "The Maniac" Isham back in the late eighties or early nineties minus a motor. Anyway I got it back to running condition and then some jerk stole it the week I was going to take it out to the river so I never got to run it. So I really have no experiece beyond putting the boat together.

Which flat/runner bottom hull designs lend themselves to be better turning abilities? I love the K-Boats out at the races but have no desire to ever race but would like to be able to have fun playing racer at some point in time. I have been told that some boats are built to just go straight and dont really like to turn all that well so if anyone could fill in the blanks that would be much appreciated. In addition, what brands of hulls are good? Which are ones to stay away from? Aside from the obvious, what are some things to be on the look out for as far as quality/integrity of the hull?

Joe

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone happens to have some photos of Mike Ishams Kurtis Maniac I would love to see them. All of the photos I had got lost or destroyed along the way. The boat was painted White with Brown, Orange and Yellow striping with the Maniac Logo on the deck as I remember it.

Joe

·
Just another Wannabe
1,206 Posts
There are a rash of flatbottoms that are made just for turning. The circle race guys really worked on these hulls in the 70's and got pretty darn good at going fast in the straights, and turning in the corners at mindblowing rates. On circle boats, the engine sits balancer forward to help turn left. The brands to look for are Biesemeyer, Revenge, D'cucci, Bezer, Canary, Kelron/Spitfire, Temptation, and a few others. Some of the old boats that were circle racers that became less poplular, but still good lake boats or a nostalgia circle racer are Lavey, Hallett, RaysonCraft, Etc.
Then the fast drag racing stuff is mostly the runner bottoms. They don't lend themselves to turning very well, but haul the mail in the straights. They make good quick lake boats with not a ton of horsepower. They don't handle real rough water like the circle boats do, but when the lake or river is fairly flat, they rock. Cole, Canyon, Hondo and some that I can't even think of right now because I have to go and open Christmas presents with the family.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply!

Visually, what are some things that distinguish a Drag Boat from a Circle Boat Hulls?

Joe

·
Just another Wannabe
1,206 Posts
The engines on a drag boat run flywheel forward. The dragboats are visually different in the runnerbottom back with the split cavitation plates. Most of the real race circle boats have the turnbuckles doubled up in the center, making 10 total on a flat plate across the back.
Also, the circle boats will have two taller turn fins in the bottom of the boat where the drag hulls will have a much shorter, usually single, fin.

drag

circle

But the tops of the hulls are small differences that you really need to know the different hulls to determine.

Oh yeah, circle boats usually carry more fuel than a standard drag race boat, so look for a larger, or sometimes stacked tank behind the engine in a circle hull. Sometimes the drag boats have such a little tank that you cannot even spot it when running.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the photos and knowledge. Next question what are some good websites that are dedicated to the circle boats aside from this one?

Joe

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
Sky Harbor,

It sounds like you are trying to find your identity. You can't seem to figure out if you are a Drag boat guy or a circle boat guy. Here is a list of questions to help you decide. Please answer each question honestly and We will be able to determine from there which category you fall into.

1)When you are gettin it on with your chick (or dude if your quickjet), do you like to go for an hour or go for 4 minutes?

2) Does your toilet paper roll from the front or the back?

3) Does this picture

A) repulse you
B) kinda do it for you
C) A little of both

4. Does this picture

A) As (David 519 would say) make your naughty parts tingle?
B) Make you throw up in your mouth
C) Both

5. Does this picture

A) Make you want to toss your lunch?
B)Make you want to chew a bag of skittles
C) Call Billy B instantly
D) All of the above

6. Do you think this is sexy

7. Are you ok working with copious amounts of Anti Seize?

8. If you and Maximus went camping, and you woke up one morning with your back door violated would you report it to anyone?

yes no

9.What is your take on Jetboats?

10. Have you ever sported an outfit like this one

Please answer all questions.

·
Banned
1,517 Posts

Sky, how do Guru's questions regarding Santa's ass make you feel ?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like to learn as much knowledge as I can so I can make an informed decision. It isnt as much whether or not I am a Drag Boat or Circle Boat guy because "IF" I were to do either it would be for fun and not to set world records.
If I had to chose one it would be Circle Boat for sure. If I didnt gain any knowledge before buying something I would surely buy the wrong hull for what I "Think" I would want it for.

Joe

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
I like to learn as much knowledge as I can so I can make an informed decision. It isnt as much whether or not I am a Drag Boat or Circle Boat guy because "IF" I were to do either it would be for fun and not to set world records.
If I had to chose one it would be Circle Boat for sure. If I didnt gain any knowledge before buying something I would surely buy the wrong hull for what I "Think" I would want it for.

Joe
LOL, I think I get what you just said!

In my opinion, go with the circle boat. You will have many many more hours of fun vs minutes of 1/16 mile burnouts. Drag boats accelerate hard but so do blown circle boats. They both have their plus sides but I would go Circle vs drag. Either way, you have plenty of help with both on here.

·
Banned
1,517 Posts

It all worked out so good!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont have an issue with someone having fun on the boards. Its just to the untrained eye it would be so easy to buy the wrong type of hull. I am for sure wanting a Circle Boat just trying to learn how to tell the difference between the two types of hulls.

Joe

·
Banned
1,517 Posts
Merry Christmas Homez!

How did pics of Santas ass make YOU feel?:D

Merry Christmas to you Tony- your questionaire is a classic:D

Sky you can't go wrong taking advice from da Guru -Happy Holidays everyone
Homez

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I havent got a clue! All I know is I owned the one Kurtis Kraft that got stolen before I even got it on the water. I have heard of Sanger, Biesemeyer but none of the rest mentioned above. I would be looking for something without a engine for now and even a project boat.

Joe

·
Team CJ460
2,191 Posts
I havent got a clue! All I know is I owned the one Kurtis Kraft that got stolen before I even got it on the water. I have heard of Sanger, Biesemeyer but none of the rest mentioned above. I would be looking for something without a engine for now and even a project boat.

Joe
good luck with your venture

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts

Joe
Sky Harbor,

If you are seriously interested in a Circle boat, just sit back and wait until one of the guys in here point you in the right direction of one. Morg on the boards has a Revenge for sale that is a bad ass piece. There are great boats for sale right now that will be posted up for you.

Tony

1 - 20 of 44 Posts