Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm setting up a sanger pickel fork hydro to use on the lake, the boat should run about 100 mph. it was set up for inboard steering. there is no steering in the boat now. my friend lost his 34' boat from sandy. it has a new seastar hyd steering system in it. he said i could have it. its not a very bulky unit. just a helm and the ram. what do you guys think about using it? the boat had twin 454 engines.

·
Registered Parker Allstar
635 Posts
i'm setting up a sanger pickel fork hydro to use on the lake, the boat should run about 100 mph. it was set up for inboard steering. there is no steering in the boat now. my friend lost his 34' boat from sandy. it has a new seastar hyd steering system in it. he said i could have it. its not a very bulky unit. just a helm and the ram. what do you guys think about using it? the boat had twin 454 engines.
Most likely you will need a smaller CC helm to run a single hydraulic ram in your hydro. The problem you will have is the ratio will be too fast on the steering and will be really sensitive to steering wheel movement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hyd steer

i asked him how many turns it is from dock to dock he said about five. need more you think?

·
Registered Parker Allstar
635 Posts
i asked him how many turns it is from dock to dock he said about five. need more you think?
That's on a boat with twin engine though. Find out how many CC's the helm is and you should be able to cross reference with sea star on the hydraulic ram if it will work in your application. On my boat I had a 80CC helm and mine was about 1 turn lock to lock. I switched the helm to a 45CC.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Seems like a hyd. setup is kind of overkill. I have a hondo pickle fork with inboard rudder that runs about a hun and i have the cable setup. The ratio is easy to change, it just takes a different sprocket on the steering shaft. I had a 13 tooth and a 17. The 17 is about 7/8 turn lock to lock and i run a butterfly steering wheel. Several gals have driven mine and they didn't have a problem with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts