Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the lil hydrafoils pointless on something like a 18ft bowrider? or do they actually help and pick up any mph?

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
i have them on my boat, greatly helps with planning and keeps you on plane at lower speeds. it will do nothing for your top end

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have them on my boat, greatly helps with planning and keeps you on plane at lower speeds. it will do nothing for your top end
but it didn't affect mph? as long as it don't affect mph, sounds like i need a set:D will be using the boat alot for tubing and skiing, plus we'll be all over the lake in it.

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
no mph affect, there out of the water when your running fast packing air since only the bottom of the lower unit and prop blades are in the water pending on your motor height, this is atleast in my case i did not see any loss what so ever. if your motor is burried pretty deep then i'm not completely sure.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no mph affect, there out of the water when your running fast packing air since only the bottom of the lower unit and prop blades are in the water pending on your motor height, this is atleast in my case i did not see any loss what so ever. if your motor is burried pretty deep then i'm not completely sure.
thanx for the info. if we have a nice day this weekend i'll take the boat out see where it rides on the outboard. have a project boat deal goin also so anything to save a buck over this summer is welcomed;)

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
every boat that i have seen like yours doesnt need foils to keep on plain the motor is usually set deep in the water compared to our tunnels that way they can get on plain much easier if i were you just use it the way it is and see what you think before you start messing with it and when i was a kid we had an old ski boat deep v and it had a whale tail that made it get on plain very fast

·
Wild Bill
247 Posts
My experience is that for your application a 2 degree wedge will work better than a foil for your use. It's placed between your motor and the jack plate or the transom. This will let you tuck your motor in a little further for when you want to pull wake boarder and it will also help your holeshot quite a bit. It would be the most bang for the buck. Also if Oz Dude isn't running one of these on his ski race boat he should try one it will take at least second off your hole shot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My experience is that for your application a 2 degree wedge will work better than a foil for your use. It's placed between your motor and the jack plate or the transom. This will let you tuck your motor in a little further for when you want to pull wake boarder and it will also help your holeshot quite a bit. It would be the most bang for the buck. Also if Oz Dude isn't running one of these on his ski race boat he should try one it will take at least second off your hole shot.
badbait - yeah, before I go drilling holes to fit a foil I'm gonna try a set of wedges. Seen em on a couple of ski-race boats now so there's gotta be something in it!

IMPATIENT 1 - I used to run a home made foil on my boat (came with the boat) and it was always really really easy to plane with. It was big though. It was made of carbon fiber and stuck out past the motor by about a foot! The guy I bought the boat off ran barefoot drags so they needed a really quick, really flat holeshot.

Oz

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
badbait - yeah, before I go drilling holes to fit a foil I'm gonna try a set of wedges. Seen em on a couple of ski-race boats now so there's gotta be something in it!

IMPATIENT 1 - I used to run a home made foil on my boat (came with the boat) and it was always really really easy to plane with. It was big though. It was made of carbon fiber and stuck out past the motor by about a foot! The guy I bought the boat off ran barefoot drags so they needed a really quick, really flat holeshot.
Oz
:)sphss you aussies are outta control:D:)devil thanx for the info;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
:)sphss you aussies are outta control:D:)devil thanx for the info;)
Dude, it's just like normal drags, except for the poor bastard that's holding on to the rope out the back :D

They jump off the boat, the boat takes off, slows down a little bit, the footer cop a fair "hit" when the rope goes tight, and then WEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)devil

Check out the pics:
http://www.abrc.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=278

Oz

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Dude, it's just like normal drags, except for the poor bastard that's holding on to the rope out the back :D

They jump off the boat, the boat takes off, slows down a little bit, the footer cop a fair "hit" when the rope goes tight, and then WEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)devil

Check out the pics:
http://www.abrc.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=278

:D]
gives a new meaning to a human slingshot:D
just when i thought i heard it all:)devil:)devil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts