Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone familiar with the Comp Cams 858 hydraulic lifter? I have them in a 454 that has sat up for several years- started it up and getting a bunch of noise. Some of them I can depress the end of the rocker with my fingers, others act like they are stuck solid- cant even depress them with a hammer handle. When I try to preload them, they open the valve- come back 10 mins later and the valve is still off the seat. The pistons were slightly stuck in the bores and some valves were sticky when I started messing with it. Changed the oil and used penetrating oil and a bar on the crank to get her turning over. When everything seemed to be turning ok, I lit it off. Ran very roughly for a few, then cleared up somewhat, but with bad valvetrain noise. Did a leakdown- worst was 7%. Reset lifter preload (or have tried to) using EOIC and comps specs of 0-1/8 turn from zero lash. Got about half the lifters acting funny though. Since it was stuck, I'm wondering if I got rust in the engine and now its loose and clogging the lifters. What are some things to do/check before I pull it down for cam & lifters?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
YOu might try running a 0-30 oil through the engine. Run it for 20 minutes and the thin oil may unstick the lifters. This has worked on some engines with hyd rollers that have sat awhile.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
You can even go as far as running straight ATF for 15-20 min. I've done thin with a few junk yard engines and it'll clean the insides like you'd never believe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Marvel

I have run straight 30 with a couple of quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil and that too has worked. I have never done the straight ATF but have herd of mixing with 30.

·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atf & Marvel

When flushing with this stuff, I take it I shouldn't rev it up high- but what do I wanna do- run it at a fast idle, slow idle, vary the rpms? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts