Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on installing a new hydraulic roller cam in a 1999-502 MPI.Who make a good hydraulic roller lifter?.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I plan on installing a new hydraulic roller cam in a 1999-502 MPI.Who make a good hydraulic roller lifter?.
IMO, i would go with the lifters from the Co. that u are going to buy the cam from :) (cam & kit)
just my .02 cents

FastRat

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
I agree..... second choice would be Crane. The Morel lifter requires a little more knowlege on lifter bore size and machining experience. You have to measure & inspect all the lifter bores. But it is worth it if you are looking for every last bit of HP from your camshaft.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I agree..... second choice would be Crane. The Morel lifter requires a little more knowlege on lifter bore size and machining experience. You have to measure & inspect all the lifter bores. But it is worth it if you are looking for every last bit of HP from your camshaft.
How have you found that they differ from other lifters?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I strongly agree with Fast Rat. IMO, the people who engineer a cam went through the trouble and countless hours engineering a cam profile and know more about a particular cam than we do, otherwise we'd be R&D'ing and engineering cams. That being said, it's always best to buy the cam & kit as the kit will come with the correct lifters and springs specified by the manufacturer to be ran with that particular cam.

Just my $0.02.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I strongly agree with Fast Rat. IMO, the people who engineer a cam went through the trouble and countless hours engineering a cam profile and know more about a particular cam than we do, otherwise we'd be R&D'ing and engineering cams. That being said, it's always best to buy the cam & kit as the kit will come with the correct lifters and springs specified by the manufacturer to be ran with that particular cam.

Just my $0.02.
I can agree with the above however there are come custom Cam grinders that don't manufacture lifters...what then?

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
Crower.

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
Not everything from Crower is perfect for every application, such as there Enduro steel roller rockers, their very heavy IMO, but their product is very well engineered and consistant. So far no roller lifter failures for me, thanks to Crower

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
It is common in this industry for several companies to buy the same product and put it in a different box with a different name. . . .I know first hand with product I make and supply to the industry. Lifters are no different.

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
It is common in this industry for several companies to buy the same product and put it in a different box with a different name. . . .I know first hand with product I make and supply to the industry. Lifters are no different.
Overseas product particularly.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have a set of Lunati's horizontal linked rollers and they look pretty serious, supossedly rebuildable too.

Swap meet find;)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
didnt the genVI (im assuming 1999) come with hydraulic roller lifters factory? why couldnt he use those?
Yes they did. The OEM spider and dogbone retention system limits the OEM lifter to around .360" lobe lift. Both Crane and Morel make a lifter that will go into the OEM system and accept up to .695" lift. The GM lifter is a machined casting. The Morel and Crane are machined from bar steel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts