Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Been here a while
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a Hydrogen/Electric Chevy Equinox today. Similar to this one here.
It was one of our customers. He had to wait 8 months to get it, and he only gets to drive it for 2 months before handing the keys back to GM.

I was suprised how well it drove. I turned the key, nothing happened, but the guy said it was on. The exhaust spit out water vapor like a humidifier. Its definitely no diesel, but it has some power to it. The hydrogen motor acts like a generator to charge the batteries. It also has regenerative braking. Very cool to test some future tech. Ive never driven an electric car, let alone a hydrogen electic.

· custom boat lover
461 Posts
Was that the same car the big wigg guys from GM had to show up in, So they could get the bail out money, Instead of the corp, jet:p;):D I have a gmc yukon hybrid with the regenerative braking and the fuel specks are 21 & 22 mpg, But as you drive it more it is doing better then that any where you go with it, And it has the two mode hybrid electric propulsion system with a 6.0 332hp with fuel management system, And this one [IMHO] is much nicer to drive then our 07 denali we got rid of under the lemon law. And just for the recored I am not a tree hugger, I cut all the trees down around my home.;):):)hand

· Slum Lord
2,802 Posts
BMW developed the hydrogen cell years ago, I remember seeing the car at BMW's R&D facility back in the early/mid 90's. GM partnered with them to get some of the technology. BMW toured the states in some hydrogen powered 7 series somewhere around 2002, perhaps 2003ish.
Car ran great with good power, not quite to gas powered specs but good non-the-less.
Biggest issue is any type of hydrogen refueling network and the safety of the refueling process in general.

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
fyi, i've been seeing alot of homemade hydrogen generators under hoods lately.neat lil machines, and the peeps running them say they're getting an additional 4-5miles a gallon runnin it, plus a noticed difference is power. i drove a 07 6.0l down the road and it felt alil healthier than normal and the exhaust was clean looking. didn't have any codes in the ecm for a lean condition so i guess the motor doesn't mind the hydrogen 1 bit. not sure if their drinking "da coolaid" or if it actually works but i could see the water bubble'n when the fella showed me how it work. i know unchained has done alot of playin with hydrogen in cups, lighting water on fire:)devil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.