Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hydrolic Diverter Pump ? Who makes the fastest responding unit? Full up to full down. Who's pumps can handle 24volts?

Thanks
Jim

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Yep.. Fuelinmyveins here on the boards switched over to one a couple years ago and it's a much better/quicker/reliable unit than the Bennet pumps.
And a total nightmare to wire up if you want to use anything nice as far as an up/down button. Done 2 of them.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
To make it "air" it needs to be either co2 or nitrogen, we run co2 systems at the river. I wouldnt do it on a lake or river boat, you will regret it.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
If using a CO/air system, you would need up / down position stops, because there is nothing to keep the nozzle from changing position, besides pressure.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Just by using a power relay for the trim pump, and short as practical hyd lines, you would be suprized how quick a diverter can be:)bulb

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are there any affordable alternative pump/solenoid units? ideally a self contained 12v? I considered (still am) using an automotive power steering pump with an electronic solenoid. the solenoids are about $100 new, the pumps are cheap from junkyard or parts store. The rest is plumbing fittings/hoses/wiring/switches. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329569_200329569

the only drawback is the power steering pump is soaking up a couple horsepower all the time. It may be possible to reduce the pressure or RPM so it soaks up less power. I doubt the diverter cylinder needs very much pressure or flow.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
i'd like to see someone use the water pressure coming from the jet pump. its andendless supply of h20 when the engine is running, even at idle.

t-out of the inlet line to a pressure regulator with an overboard dump, use a 12-volt solenoid valve to control the water flow to either side of a stainless steel hydraulic cylinder. should work fine.

why not?

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
i'd like to see someone use the water pressure coming from the jet pump. its andendless supply of h20 when the engine is running, even at idle.

t-out of the inlet line to a pressure regulator with an overboard dump, use a 12-volt solenoid valve to control the water flow to either side of a stainless steel hydraulic cylinder. should work fine.

why not?
Never thought of that.....sounds doable.:)bulb

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts

why not?
That's the perfect setup for somebody who constantly forgets to charge their Co2:)hand:D

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Why would you need a quicker responding up/down than a Bennett?
I am contumplating running it in my new Comp Jet boat, things can happen pretty fast out there at 90+mph with 6 other boats.
Just by using a power relay for the trim pump, and short as practical hyd lines, you would be suprized how quick a diverter can be:)bulb
I am not sure where it will end up in the boat yet.
Yep.. Fuelinmyveins here on the boards switched over to one a couple years ago and it's a much better/quicker/reliable unit than the Bennet pumps.
Ross, who sells them ?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I am contumplating running it in my new Comp Jet boat, things can happen pretty fast out there at 90+mph with 6 other boats.

I am not sure where it will end up in the boat yet.

Ross, who sells them ?
Go override pedal, that way when you switch over to a vee drive you already know how to drive it :)bulb

Your hands will never be free enough for a hydraulic setup IMHO....

It needs to have a vertical stop any way, just make a pedal where it is two position, a pump will give too many headaches for a race deal.

Come to think of it, you could use a hydraulic master cylinder from a truck clutch or single piston brake master like the old Dodge trucks had...No cables to deal with, just a heavy return spring....

Just a thought. :)grn

GT :)hand

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go override pedal, that way when you switch over to a vee drive you already know how to drive it :)bulb

Your hands will never be free enough for a hydraulic setup IMHO....

It needs to have a vertical stop any way, just make a pedal where it is two position, a pump will give too many headaches for a race deal.

Come to think of it, you could use a hydraulic master cylinder from a truck clutch or single piston brake master like the old Dodge trucks had...No cables to deal with, just a heavy return spring....

Just a thought. :)grn

GT :)hand
Back in the 90s' I drove Flats, then moved into Mod VPs and now Jets. The only reason I went to jets is it is more of a challenge. Anyone one can make a V-Drive fast and turn. As for the stops I wrote the majority of the rules for N/J and Comp. It could work but with the plates and the gas I would end up with a third peddle being I want/need everything to work separately.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts