Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed one of these hydrulic add-on steering kits? I'm looking to buy a dual ram kit for my 26' shockwave cat and would like to install it myself,I'm just not to sure about how involved one of these kits are,any help would be great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is this a full hydraulic system to the the helm, or a hydraulic assist?
Full system is more trouble to install but not out of the question for the average mechanical Joe. No special tools needed, measure 2,3,4 times drill once.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed an Imco full stern to helm kit twin ram in my boat last spring...(the boat had a full kit from the factory but the previous owner thought it necessary to remove and sell it ,I bought the boat minus power and steering.)
It came with good directions...had to drill new holes for helm pump but the holes were there thru the transom. took probably 2-3 hours...like KonK said make sure to measure multiple times before drilling...you got a 50/50 chance to get the hoses hooked up right at the helm pump(turn wheel left and boat goes left) and dont crack the first beer until drive is turning...lol
hope this helps, just my .02
Kevin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually it's not a 50/50 chance if you know how to do it. The helm pump ports are marked left and right (with an L & R). Hook the left turn port to the forward fitting on the starboard ram and aft fitting on the port ram. The other 2 are self explanatory now aren't they? It will steer the right direction the first time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did mine myself,,,Imco gives a pretty good instructions with theirs...Its not that hard...the putting on the drive part,,attaches the rams to the drive is a little tricky,,,,You have to drill one new hole and tap it for threads,,,Imco gives you the tap....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts