Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
" Live Laterally "
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long story short for those of you that didn't know what happened this weekend. I was the last boat to hit the rope on Friday night in Parker for test and tune. I went through my normal routine before launching and when I hit the throttle my flywheels EXPLODED and came apart and took out EVERYTHING in its path. Wiped out my drive line cover, booster, wires, bell housing, side and bottom of my boat. There was a small fire too. I just wanted to say thank you to the rescue team for getting me out in a timely matter and not letting my boat sink completely. I am VERY fortunate this did not happen on the big end cause it could have been deadly. I am also glad nobody was next to me however the starting barge did get sprayed with a few pieces of the bell housing. I thought running a flywheel was okay but finding out I really should have been running a flex plate. Well lesson learned expensive but lesson learned for me. The damage shown below is 100% repairable and will be repaired just not right now as I am going to focus on the family boat build this winter. Keep in mind this damage was done from a stop and didn't move the boat an inch! Pretty crazy stuff. Just thought I would share.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I heard about this at the track. There are lots of boats run fly wheels including mine. Was it SFI certified? Sorry to see the amount of damage it caused but at least the boat didn't burn down or sink.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Sorry about your boat Bryan, but atleast your ok :))THumbsUp

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts
i looked at boat for a while after accident. crazy how much damage can b caused! kinda worrysome about how stong a flywheel cover needs to be not to be obliterated like this particular one

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
i looked at boat for a while after accident. crazy how much damage can b caused! kinda worrysome about how stong a flywheel cover needs to be not to be obliterated like this particular one
Was it your typical "lightning" style bell housing?

Do think a lighter flexplate would do that much damage?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Do tell, what kind of flywheel were you running? Did it just explode into pieces? Normally a flywheel takes a beating because of the abuse a clutch puts on them, so I'm trying to figure out how it just grenaded. Sorry to see the carnage to your boat, but glad no one was hurt.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
yikes......

glad you and everyone else is fine.

I've seen a video of a flywheel coming off a dyno engine at 6,000+ it destroyed a bunch of stuff.

S CP

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Wow Bryan.. Glad your ok and sorry about the damage.. Very scary!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
i had a forum buddy in a mustang that lost some toes when a flywheel broke. he now runs a scattershield bellhousing in his race cars...

it makes me wonder about safety and boating... everything seems SOOOO simple and when you're putting things together to get out to the lake do you take safety into consideration? is it almost better to run a shield or cover on your rotating pieces? it seems like it didnt help in the least containing pieces, as theres almost NOTHING left in the boat... and anything that was in the way took a beating... would a little stainless sheet metal cover even do anything?

my flexplate is wide open....

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
i had a forum buddy in a mustang that lost some toes when a flywheel broke. he now runs a scattershield bellhousing in his race cars...

it makes me wonder about safety and boating... everything seems SOOOO simple and when you're putting things together to get out to the lake do you take safety into consideration? is it almost better to run a shield or cover on your rotating pieces? it seems like it didnt help in the least containing pieces, as theres almost NOTHING left in the boat... and anything that was in the way took a beating... would a little stainless sheet metal cover even do anything?

Yea.... That's not safe. You should have a guard over that.

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts

thats how we run them im the circle boats. and thier turning 8000 rpm. i think it is more of the quality of the plate

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
thats how we run them im the circle boats. and thier turning 8000 rpm. i think it is more of the quality of the plate
Thats the key right there. I am pretty sure it wasnt SFI rated. Which leads me to my nest point. After seeing what that thing did to his cast flywheel cover I am going to have a THICK billet cover made for flywheel and drive line. The cost of the covers takes a back seat to the carnage that they will contain should there be a failure. Good investment in my opinion.

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts
Thats the key right there. I am pretty sure it wasnt SFI rated. Which leads me to my nest point. After seeing what that thing did to his cast flywheel cover I am going to have a THICK billet cover made for flywheel and drive line. The cost of the covers takes a back seat to the carnage that they will contain should there be a failure. Good investment in my opinion.
i know how to make a bitchen one bud. get some alum and well mill it out

1 - 20 of 67 Posts