Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there's a correct place to start on redoing a boat, but not really sure where to begin. By the looks of it i have the biggest POS here, so thought that maybe I could get a little advise on where to start with my boat. I don't have a big budget at all, so it's going to have to be a step by step rebuild but any info that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Pics

I would start by posting pictures of what you have. POS or not there is lots of good info and folks willing to help.

Lets see what ya got.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure when these were taken, Before i bought the boat. This is what the guy posted on Craigslist. If there's anything specific you guys need to see i can walk out back and take pictures. It's a 77, with a 460. Not sure of the make, the title says Makos, and the hull ID gives me Legend Powerboats.

Attachments

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Uhm. If that is a POS, I should have drug my boat straight to the dump. From those pics that boat looks to be in decent shape. Not saying it is a show winner just saying it looks like a very usable jet boat. What are the issues you see with it? Better pics of what you consider the problem spots will help you get some constructive feedback.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Nice hull....looks like a bubble deck. Is it a full stringer?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the structure of the boat seems to be in great shape. The interior needs to be redone of course, and the wood replaced for it, but all the structure wood (stringers and such) are great. Paint and all looks good from a 100 feet. I'm mainly having issues with the engine i guess. Tried to take it out for the first time a couple weeks ago. It fires right up, and will idle great, but doesn't seem to be giving me much power. Planned out right away, but wouldn't pick up speed and then just dies. A couple times of this and it wouldn't start back up. Also having a gas leak from the furthest back carp on the choke side.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the title say Makos or Mako? I have a buddy with a Mako day cruiser. What is the first 3 of the HIN?

It says Makos, the first 3 are LPB That's why I'm a bit lost there. It was retitled in 2002 so I'm assuming someone lost the original title along the way somewhere.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Tune up, carbs rebuilt and how old is the gas...might need to flush out your tanks.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Your new project looks like a very decent boat , the pics are small but a 460 Berkeley Jet is a good combo and it looks to have a Jet0Vator (trim) as well The boat has a lot of potential if "sound" Some scrubbing and polish some tune up work and likley some fresh fuel and filters and you'll be in the hunt ! Welcome Tom

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i wouldnt push the title to hin issue as long as the hin matches the title;););););) good lookn boat, much better start than i had.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Whats the story on it? Has it been sitting a while? You can't really see to much from the pics you posted. Its a good idea if the boat has been sitting a while to go though the carb, clean out the gas tanks, change filters and oil and go from there.

From the story of the engine and it dying and not restarting. I'll take a guess and say its flooding. Go through the carb and get it cleaned and or rebuilt.

Edit; damn you guys are quick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whats the story on it? Has it been sitting a while? You can't really see to much from the pics you posted. Its a good idea if the boat has been sitting a while to go though the carb, clean out the gas tanks, change filters and oil and go from there.

From the story of the engine and it dying and not restarting. I'll take a guess and say its flooding. Go through the carb and get it cleaned and or rebuilt.

Edit; damn you guys are quick.

I really have no idea how long it sat before i bought it. All the fuel is fresh though. I pumped everything out and put all new in. The fuel pump was drained and reprimed due to replacing some lines.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your new project looks like a very decent boat , the pics are small but a 460 Berkeley Jet is a good combo and it looks to have a Jet0Vator (trim) as well The boat has a lot of potential if "sound" Some scrubbing and polish some tune up work and likley some fresh fuel and filters and you'll be in the hunt ! Welcome Tom
Without walking outside and looking again, i believe it is a JetOVator trim. Was really hard to adjust until i took the interior out, seems like the line was being pinched by something. Thanks so much for the E-mail, and I'll more than likely take you up on the info offer.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
finger

Your finger shows where the fuel will leak if the carb is flooding. That's the issue you're having with the poor power and the fail to re start... Rebuild the carbs and try it again before you start digging into other engine issues,,,
Ray

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your finger shows where the fuel will leak if the carb is flooding. That's the issue you're having with the poor power and the fail to re start... Rebuild the carbs and try it again before you start digging into other engine issues,,,
Ray
Awesome, Thank you so much!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts