Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive tried everything... when i took it out last time it wasnt nearly this difficult. i used regular silicone to seal it and i had a tiiiiiiny weep at idle but a big squirt leak when i was on my way...

it moves... but it doesnt release. i picked the whole boat off the trailer with just silicone holding it in... what the hell!

the whole point of all this is to use this plate to be able to get the seal nice and tight...

im hoping i can get it out, get everything cleaned up and sealed with 3m 5200 marine silicone so i never have to mess with it again...

any suggestions on what to try next?

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
If you use 5200 you will Never get apart again easily. Use marine silicone. When used properly it seals and is removable, although tough. No comparison to 5200 tough though (to take apart).

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Its tough to get the silicon to release. I used carb spry to get a corner to lift just enough to get fishing string through. It was a bitach. Once the fishing line was through it cut the silicon like butta. A thin blade to get through the silicon anywhere you can .

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
guitar strings or very fine stranded wire also work if you can get it in.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
ive tried everything... when i took it out last time it wasnt nearly this difficult. i used regular silicone to seal it and i had a tiiiiiiny weep at idle but a big squirt leak when i was on my way...

it moves... but it doesnt release. i picked the whole boat off the trailer with just silicone holding it in... what the hell!

the whole point of all this is to use this plate to be able to get the seal nice and tight...

im hoping i can get it out, get everything cleaned up and sealed with 3m 5200 marine silicone so i never have to mess with it again...

any suggestions on what to try next?
A 2x4 between the hull and the pump always worked well for me but don't push with constant pressure, use a bouncing and/or a wiggling motion. Just make sure you have something under the pump for when it lets loose. I always used a moving pad folded up so it was about 4" thick. Also, as others said, no on the 5200.
That plate came out great looking! Good job on the polishing!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I recently removed the transom adapter from my boat. I found that using wedges, driven in slowly with a hammer worked best. If you use this method, you'll notice that you can drive the wege in just enough to add stress to the silicone. After a few seconds, you can hear the silicone letting go. Then you can drive the wedge in a bit more and wait some more. Eventually, the silicone let's loose when pulled apart.

The guitar string and fishing line ideas sound good too!

Jeff

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recently removed the transom adapter from my boat. I found that using wedges, driven in slowly with a hammer worked best. If you use this method, you'll notice that you can drive the wege in just enough to add stress to the silicone. After a few seconds, you can hear the silicone letting go. Then you can drive the wedge in a bit more and wait some more. Eventually, the silicone let's loose when pulled apart.

The guitar string and fishing line ideas sound good too!

Jeff
yeah when i had it up in the air i can hear the silicone stretching and breaking but then it would stop. when i had the back of the boat 1" off the trailer i figured it was time to stop with that method. heh. a buddy of mine mentioned going up from underneath with a coat hanger or something thin and stabbing at the silicone to break it up. ill nix the 5200 i guess in case i ever have to do this again. i guess ill just toss a bead of it on the company toilet seat for good laughs instead.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 2x4 between the hull and the pump always worked well for me but don't push with constant pressure, use a bouncing and/or a wiggling motion. Just make sure you have something under the pump for when it lets loose. I always used a moving pad folded up so it was about 4" thick. Also, as others said, no on the 5200.
That plate came out great looking! Good job on the polishing!
thank you for the plate, i hope everything works great with it. i just gave it a quick go around on the buffer. hopefully once i get a run out of it ill start cleaning everything up. that transom pic made me sad with all the dust and dirt in it. i swear i keep my bilge clean! :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah, down is the way to go. Chain it downward by the "end" of the pump for leverage. Just like strapping your boat down on the transom.

·
Registered
979 Posts
we use marine tex to set our intakes, to remove we heat the intake with a torch. did you try heating the intake?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i got it out. someone made a funny by posting a picture of a sawzall on another forum and it got me thinking... so i jacked up the pump again and shoved a hacksaw blade between the pump and transom and started sawing away thru all the silicone. after a little bit of that i jumped on the pump and it came loose.

now onto fixing the leak... tomorrow im gonna toss everything back together and pray it doesnt sink.

thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts