1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been working with side drafts on V-Twins for years now...I can make 'em bark, the throttle response is like fuel injection...instant!
The Dellorto's are way more tunable then the Weber ever hoped to be. The only thing I've noticed with the Dell's is from one extreme temperature change to another it can be a bit temperamental, a jet change is needed.
On a V8 you would have one carb barrel per cylinder...a sync tool would be needed for proper tuning but once dialed in I think it would be bad ass.:)devil

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
if you put that set-up on a v-drive, you wouldn't have to worry about good linkage to keep them all in sync. :D
They would sure look sweet on the trailer in the parking lot tho. :D
Be the hot ticket for trailer racing. :(:(

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
would be an awesome setup but for 2300 bucks?? ouch! I prefer dels to the webers except for the fact that early dels had issues with erosion in their castings putting the thing out of tune. If I were to own that setup I would want to hard anodize the bodies of the dels.

~Brian

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
would be an awesome setup but for 2300 bucks?? ouch! I prefer dels to the webers except for the fact that early dels had issues with erosion in their castings putting the thing out of tune. If I were to own that setup I would want to hard anodize the bodies of the dels.

~Brian
I've got a few "early" DHLA 40's and they're spotless inside. If the carb was used and always left to sit with fuel in it there can be a problem w/erosion.
I've seen a few DHLA 40 (c) carbs the later ones that were all eaten away inside.
As with anything you gotta know what you're looking at and if purchasing from eBay etc make the seller take detailed pics of the float bowl and also make sure the mixture screws turn.
I really dig the side draft Del's...great carb once dialed in.
Below left DHLA40 (c) 6 progression holes(newer) I hand polished.
Below right DHLA 40 (no letter) 3 progression holes(older).
Both like new inside!

Below my 1979 88" Shovel w/ a older 3 progression hole/no letter fully polished Dellorto.
The pic does the carb no justice as it looks like chrome in person...very deep and full of luster. Takes me some 25 hrs to fully polish one.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Twin Dellorto's are on the bug in the backyard, what a mo fo to start in the morning.
Couple blips of the throttle until the heads warm up a bit.

Quit being such a whiner. haha.

Nothing like the throaty sound of a couple well tuned Webber/Dellorto carbs on a cool night.

Brian

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Personally I think 48's would be way too small for a boat engine.

52MM/54MM would still be on the small side for a 450-500 incher.

Hotrod maybe, but still doubtful.

The cool factor is off the hook though.

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts