Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up an LM1 hand held o2 sensor/monitor a little while ago. Most of you know I'm an efi guy to the core and all my stuff and customer stuff have o2 sensors in the cars/boats all the time. So I was thinking while reading Master Sergeant's post that maybe I should see if I can get some decent OT BBC headers and put o2 bungs in both sides and rent out the setup to you carb guys as needed. Would there be interest in this? I'm not looking to make money on this or anything, just want you carb guys to feel as spoiled as us efi guys. I would require at least a deposit to ensure I get the stuff back, and maybe a small fee for any maintenance needed or o2 replacement, crap like that. I know plenty of you are up in northern calif. like myself, but I'd even ship if someone really didn't want to purchase an o2 (probably be almost as expensive to ship as just buying). Is this something that would get used? I don't want to search for a set of OT headers if this isn't even an interest for people.

Let me know,
Andrew

·
Some guy
3,615 Posts
I picked up an LM1 hand held o2 sensor/monitor a little while ago. Most of you know I'm an efi guy to the core and all my stuff and customer stuff have o2 sensors in the cars/boats all the time. So I was thinking while reading Master Sergeant's post that maybe I should see if I can get some decent OT BBC headers and put o2 bungs in both sides and rent out the setup to you carb guys as needed. Would there be interest in this? I'm not looking to make money on this or anything, just want you carb guys to feel as spoiled as us efi guys. I would require at least a deposit to ensure I get the stuff back, and maybe a small fee for any maintenance needed or o2 replacement, crap like that. I know plenty of you are up in northern calif. like myself, but I'd even ship if someone really didn't want to purchase an o2 (probably be almost as expensive to ship as just buying). Is this something that would get used? I don't want to search for a set of OT headers if this isn't even an interest for people.

Let me know,
Andrew
It's kind of a cool idea, but you won't have a lot of control over how it's used,, and may not find out that a sensor is bad until it goes to the next guy?

I ended up with one tuning a carbureted Whipple engine, thought it would get more use than it does, even set up the dirt track car with a bung in the headers but would have needed to rig a mount and have a laptop to play it back since it would have been pretty impossible for him to drive the car with one hand and read the meter in the other hand...

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think people would need to know that this is a setup for helping with fixing tuning problems, or dialing in WOT, not necessarily for fine tuning every aspect of the power band. I would suggest use with a friend, and hope it would be treated as their own. It's an older unit and I typically have 3-4 o2 sensors here at the shop, so hopefully a small fee would cover those issues that might arise. Plus this would be a dry header setup. Blue the crap out of the loaner headers, get the tune pretty good and put the pretty water injected back on, which hopefully would improve o2 life. No doubt there may be issues, and if it becomes a problem I'll just stop doing it, but it could be helpful to some I'd think. That's why I thought I'd ask.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I was wondering if the o2 sensor would work if it was sunk in the intake manifold in the exhaust x-over?

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I've lent out the LM-1 I had a couple times.
Both individuals took good care of it and the 2nd guy bought it.

After someone has used one they are hooked. All the guesswork is removed.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I am the one that barrowed Marks LM1 and then I purchased an LM2. The main problem I see is depending on who the guy is borrowing this and what kind of rig they are trying to tune they might have to have the datalogging feature. If the boat is fast things happen so fast you cant keep an eye on it even if its right in front of you. The LM2 will play back logs of the A/F right on screen but you will need to pull the sd card and use a computer to overlay rpm-a/f-and anything else your logging. It will log 6 sensors total.
You can tune idle & cruise easy with the lm1, and if you can hold the boat wfo for 6-8 sec at a time while looking directly at the lm1, or having a passenger do it, you can get pretty close at wfo but still not as good as logging. And for some reason I could never get anyone to ride with me & keep their eye on the lm1 :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
In the pic below, my son Ron is holding and reading an LM 2.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hass, I would say you're at a power level and engine setup that warrants you buying your own....which you did. You need data logging and you benefit from multiple input streams. If this is something that would happen I see it going to people where their biggest concern was getting an o2 bung in their headers. Not, "who is crazy enough to get in my boat and read the screen?" maybe its just not something that the mild hotrod lake boat guys want to deal with?

Andrew

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
What about a spacer between the head and header? Wouldnt have to be very thick if small tubes ran up to a sensor bung. Still might be able to use wet headers that way.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Hass, I would say you're at a power level and engine setup that warrants you buying your own....which you did. You need data logging and you benefit from multiple input streams. If this is something that would happen I see it going to people where their biggest concern was getting an o2 bung in their headers. Not, "who is crazy enough to get in my boat and read the screen?" maybe its just not something that the mild hotrod lake boat guys want to deal with?

Andrew
I agree, and for the average jet boat guy what you are offering would be a great idea. I see most guys with the average jet boat running around dont know anything about their tune except that it gets them to out on the lake & back. Would be a great idea to install to correct the tune & then return to you. Most will want one of their own after trying it though.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, and for the average jet boat guy what you are offering would be a great idea. I see most guys with the average jet boat running around dont know anything about their tune except that it gets them to out on the lake & back. Would be a great idea to install to correct the tune & then return to you. Most will want one of their own after trying it though.

Exactly, I just don't know if it's something that those guys think they need. I've met many people who think they have dialed in a tune by feel.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about a spacer between the head and header? Wouldnt have to be very thick if small tubes ran up to a sensor bung. Still might be able to use wet headers that way.

That might work, honestly though my first thought is that I'd have to make something like that which isn't very appealing. if the demand were high enough then maybe it'd be worth it. (be easier to ship, that's for sure).

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
That might work, honestly though my first thought is that I'd have to make something like that which isn't very appealing. if the demand were high enough then maybe it'd be worth it. (be easier to ship, that's for sure).
The easiest thing to make up and ship is probably to make short collector extensions that have a clamp built into them as well as the bung/sensor.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The easiest thing to make up and ship is probably to make short collector extensions that have a clamp built into them as well as the bung/sensor.

thats probably true, but then you get back to someone not wanting to run dry on their nice headers, (which I understand that) but the water and O2 sensor don't tend to like each other much. I like info's idea because it would probably work a Thru transom setup too, as long as it used rubber hose couplers.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
thats probably true, but then you get back to someone not wanting to run dry on their nice headers, (which I understand that) but the water and O2 sensor don't tend to like each other much. I like info's idea because it would probably work a Thru transom setup too, as long as it used rubber hose couplers.
With my limited experience with O[SUP]2 [/SUP] sensors tuning, there isn't much pressure right at the flange to get the exhaust to travel up small tubes to the sensor. At the risk of sounding really old, I can remember drilling hole in the headers about 1" from the flange to see the flame in the header and tune off that. The velocity of the exhaust at that point would actually draw air into the hole.

Mercury locates a sensor in one hole right at the head on their low performance EFI Mercruisers. But the problem I have with the idea is that big overlap cams on a common open plenum manifold specially with a carb, see alot of unburned ox/fuel that close to the valve, and give a totally wack reading compared to the sensor in the collector on the very same engine. At low RPM you have spent exhaust gases headed back into the cylinder drawn in by both valves open, high manifold vac, low exhaust velocities. At high RPM you have unburnt air/fuel being drawn into the exhaust due to virtually no manifold vacuum, high exhaust velocites and a collector creating a higher draw. IMHO the readings on even a moderate performance cam will erratic.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Typically, you'd like to place the sensor 12-18" from the head, preferrably in a collector or combined source, as you don't have cylinder dependent tuning available with the carbs.

The Dynojet LCD display can be paired up with a single or two single channel Wideband2 units to give the data you want. There is a digital input that can be used to display/record RPM (from a MSD trigger output, coil trigger, etc) and each unit has one analog input that could be used for MAP or throttle position, or any other 0-5v reference. The LCD can record to a user supplied 1gb or less SD card, and either export to a computer or playback on the screen. With a 1GB card, it will record for 186+ hrs.

Some more info in this thread: http://www.performanceboats.com/dyno/92414-best-wideband-gauge-setup-datalogging-if-possible.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts