Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have been on alot of marine web sites and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe you guys can help. I'm gonna have to ditch the Foot Throttle and go with a hand throttle. What I'm looking for is a two handle control side mounted, one for the reverse bucket, and the other for the throttle.

One was given to me by TAF but it was for a much bigger boat and wouldn't work for my 19' boat. So if anybody has any direction for me to follow please let me know. Thanks

OverKill

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I will look into it. Got everything else done. Just need to be able to get gas to her :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I checked out Rex Marine and it looks like I can get what I want threw a custom order. I will have to call on Monday and see if they can help me out.

OverKill

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Don't be a sissy:p Come on out today big Jim. We are all going to hang out up front. All you need to do is launch and cost over to the beach between doc 1 & 2. Should be a fun day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My buddy has a panther jet and the throttle and gate cable are all in one. It looks just like everybody elses gate lever. Is this sort of what you are looking for?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Guys I have been on alot of marine web sites and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe you guys can help. I'm gonna have to ditch the Foot Throttle and go with a hand throttle. What I'm looking for is a two handle control side mounted, one for the reverse bucket, and the other for the throttle.

One was given to me by TAF but it was for a much bigger boat and wouldn't work for my 19' boat. So if anybody has any direction for me to follow please let me know. Thanks

OverKill
you check dana marine? found the one i want there, kinda costy, but nicccceeee

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't know why you have the pain, (injury?) that sucks but there are, or at least were, left foot foot throttles made. I've built two boats for guys, one at Rogers and a few years later one at Advantage, that had lost their right legs for whatever reason. On one of the boats we were able to order one off the shelf, we went through one of the speciality shops like 'Hot Foot' or someone like that, they make foot controls for outboards mostly but anything can be converted to use on a jet. The other we made using just the foot part of a left foot cav- plate control heli-arced to a standard right foot throttle that we cut the foot part off of. Worked great.

The first guy was a speed skier. He wanted to get the record for a one legged skier (sounds like a bad joke) so we built him a boat to do it with and he did set the record at well over 90 in the 1/4, later it was just his regular ski boat. The other guy was a potato farmer in Idaho...in case you were wondering. :)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Overkill lots of original jets especially bigger ones were rigged with dual (combo) hand controls (opens closes reverse bucket while simutaneously working the throttle) Morse MV series (old style) are around in abundance used, dont care for the new series much the after mkts are nice but spendy Tom

·
Registered
851 Posts
By the way, I have a morse dual handle, dual control, that will fit in the hole you already have in your boat that the ST control mounts in now. It looks just like a stock ST control but has a taller handle behind the standard one, it's totally different than the morse single handle setups.

If it's something you can use, you're more than welcome to it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way, I have a morse dual handle, dual control, that will fit in the hole you already have in your boat that the ST control mounts in now. It looks just like a stock ST control but has a taller handle behind the standard one, it's totally different than the morse single handle setups.

If it's something you can use, you're more than welcome to it.
Old rigger

Do you have any pics of that control? I would love to see what you have. It sounds like something I could realy use.

As far as the left foot throttle, that sounds like a good idea but it sounds like I would have my boat in the shop for some time while the boat guys figure out how to make it work.

Also by ditching the foot throttle, I will endure less pain from beatings of the rough waters/chop.

OverKill

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't be a sissy:p Come on out today big Jim. We are all going to hang out up front. All you need to do is launch and cost over to the beach between doc 1 & 2. Should be a fun day.
Brother I would love to. Give me some time and I will be out there with you all. Have fun and have a few for me will ya:D.

OverKill

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Old rigger

As far as the left foot throttle, that sounds like a good idea but it sounds like I would have my boat in the shop for some time while the boat guys figure out how to make it work.OverKill

If you find an already made one its a bolt in deal although depending on design you may or may not need a new cable.

Check out the billet assemblies Rex and others sell. The right hand foot pedal bolts to the assembly. Left foot pedal blanks are made, could very well be a bolt in deal.

Unless you are going with a nice offshore style hand control, Id stay away from the hand throttle deal if at all possible. I've used one in the past and it left a bit to be desired.

I realize you have some pain to contend with, but if the left leg is up to the task, Id go that route.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you find an already made one its a bolt in deal although depending on design you may or may not need a new cable.

Check out the billet assemblies Rex and others sell. The right hand foot pedal bolts to the assembly. Left foot pedal blanks are made, could very well be a bolt in deal.

Unless you are going with a nice offshore style hand control, Id stay away from the hand throttle deal if at all possible. I've used one in the past and it left a bit to be desired.

I realize you have some pain to contend with, but if the left leg is up to the task, Id go that route.
Here is a pic of the current set up. You can see where the foot throttle was by the outline.

here is a pic of the foot throttle that is there now. My question where and how would I mount a left side foot throttle without having to cross my legs over?

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Get a stringer mount one, then get a left foot pedal.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Im not sure a stringer mount would work in that situation since you need it to the left of the stringer. Maybe a piece of 3x4 angle or something similar bolted to the left side of the stringer would give you a pad to mount it, or you could glass a small floor to the left side to provide the same.

Only word of caution would be to be careful of leaving the cable unsupported after it exits the assembly, would be easy to step on/bend, so you'd need to extend the floor a ways, hopefully that makes sense.

Other than that, as mentioned above you'd just need the left foot pedal blank.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Im not sure a stringer mount would work in that situation since you need it to the left of the stringer. Maybe a piece of 3x4 angle or something similar bolted to the left side of the stringer would give you a pad to mount it, or you could glass a small floor to the left side to provide the same.

Only word of caution would be to be careful of leaving the cable unsupported after it exits the assembly, would be easy to step on/bend, so you'd need to extend the floor a ways, hopefully that makes sense.

Other than that, as mentioned above you'd just need the left foot pedal blank.
I didn't think about that. Good catch. But you're right, a piece of angle would work to run the stringer mount setup.

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
I've run my Spectra 18 with the single combo handle for years. Kinda nice to sit on your knee or the seat back to drive in dicey areas where more vision is called for. ;) The new Spectra 19 is more fun with the foot throttle, but I need to re-adjust it so I can get wide open before my ankle gives up. Now I have to floor it, then slide my heel to the top to hold it down. :D

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
A little bit of info, Jim was hit head on on his way home a while ago and has endured a few surgeries in between some boating trips. He is lucky to be alive. Both of his footsies were injured. He dam near lost both his feet in the accident. He tried the foot peddle mods and still has allot of pain.

Jim here is what your missing

1 - 20 of 42 Posts