10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm pretty sure that's the most expensive oil change I've ever done. :shock:

Well at least it wasn't as costly as Redline........ :hmmm:

S CP :happy:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Im at 16 quarts an oil change right now. I normally run lucas or redline.. Either way once or twice a year is cheaper than an engine. Dan

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouch......

I think I'd run one of those Amsoil by-pass kits.

S CP

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motul 300V competition:))THumbsUp
Smells like candy:happy:
at SEMA some years back I had a great conversation at lunch with a Motul rep/engineer. I wish I had a tape recorder or just a better memory. I learned a lot that day about oil and the process of synthetics and the esters used and why some are better than others.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
getting the extra zddp out of the v twin oil?

I use 10/40 motorcyle 4t for my sand rail its vw powered 2275 but cam has looked good every teardown.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
getting the extra zddp out of the v twin oil?

I use 10/40 motorcyle 4t for my sand rail its vw powered 2275 but cam has looked good every teardown.

that's the thought.... the v-twin and the 10/40 you use still have the "good stuff" in them. For an extra $1.50-$2.00 a qrt I think it's well worth it.
both oils are designed to take a serious beating .....

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Ouch!

WTF??? That's flipp'n motorcycle oil. You can't do that!!

Look at this way Sleeper. I was changing it 2 times a year and it was Torco SR5. Going to M1 was like getting a pay raise. :happy:
Keep your eyes peeled because it goes on sale every so often and you can grab it for your next oil change. Don't be surprised if you oil pressure is slightly improved and hangs in there better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought it based on your advice from a couple pm's............... thanks.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Ouch!!

WTF??? That's flipp'n motorcycle oil. You can't do that!!

Look at this way Sleeper. I was changing it 2 times a year and it was Torco SR5. Going to M1 was like getting a pay raise. :happy:
Keep your eyes peeled because it goes on sale every so often and you can grab it for your next oil change. Don't be surprised if you oil pressure is slightly improved and hangs in there better.
This is going to leave a mark
I cleaned out 3 stores.:wink2:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wonder if they have a store at the Grand Canyon ..... or Sedona :confused:

I'll start keeping an eye out for it but I don't really much look at the fliers in the news papers anymore.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
i wonder if they have a store at the Grand Canyon ..... or Sedona :confused:

I'll start keeping an eye out for it but I don't really much look at the fliers in the news papers anymore.
I just happened to be in the store checking on something else, and saw it.

I was in there checking on the "rumor" that Valvoline had dropped the API certification of the VR1 and was now only "rated". Sure enough its true. The 20/50 now carries a SG "rating" and is no longer SN/SM certified. That puts in the same position as REAL racing oils. Wonder how long it will be allowed to be sold in the retail stores? Because they all stopped carrying Lucas, and Royal Purple "racing" and non certified automotive oils some time ago.

·
Broke Member
387 Posts
Here goes my ignorance again but is it worth while throwing a zinc break-in-additive in with every oil change? Im still in my break in stage so I havent thought ahead to the next oil change yet. My original thought was VR-1 before I threw the rod on the last motor.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
LOL your funny Bob.....:)hand
It wasn't meant to be funny. The conversation came up and I was told the oil no longer carried a API certification donut, and was now simply 'rated' API SG. Not a bad thing considering it allows them to throw what ever they like in the oil and as much as they like, or as little as they like.
I just find it interesting that you can't find another AUTOMOTIVE oil in the big box stores that don't carry a API donut seal. I have a bottle dated 2011 and it has the seal.

Not sure about the humor in that.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It wasn't meant to be funny. The conversation came up and I was told the oil no longer carried a API certification donut, and was now simply 'rated' API SG. Not a bad thing considering it allows them to throw what ever they like in the oil and as much as they like, or as little as they like.
I just find it interesting that you can't find another AUTOMOTIVE oil in the big box stores that don't carry a API donut seal. I have a bottle dated 2011 and it has the seal.

Not sure about the humor in that.
Its funny because Now its not rated.... I personally don't give a shit, Rated or not rated...API is crap! Lol just more government crap! I only care whats in it! Guess what?.....It's STILL the same as it EVER was period! NO additives Needed EVER! Lol
But......... I could just say "I told you so" But....... YOU still wouldn't believe me! Lol and that's why it's funny! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Its funny because Now its not rated.... I personally don't give a shit, Rated or not rated...API is crap! Lol just more government crap! I only care whats in it! Guess what?.....It's STILL the same as it EVER was period! NO additives Needed EVER! Lol
But......... I could just say "I told you so" But....... YOU still wouldn't believe me! Lol and that's why it's funny! :wink2:
I don't think you quite understand the system. It is RATED, its no longer CERTIFIED, there is a difference.
With certification it HAS to meet certain requirements, AND it is subject to off the shelf audit test, and IS! In fact Castrol was nailed a couple months ago and had to pull a few million quarts of the shelves.
When the only is simply rated, it is not subject to audit testing, and it can carry any rating they wish, including ABSOLETE ratings like SG which is what it is now, and is a rating from the 70s.
In essence, they DUMPED the API for their "racing oil" which is EXACTLY what every REAL racing oil did years ago.

I won't get into it with you again about how bad the stuff was. The point is, now there are no handcuffs they are suppose to meet, like every other STREET Camel piss oil that it once was.

Now, how long before anybody that wants it has to get it from a speed shop because EPA law won't allow it to be in the retail store and sold as an automotive oil.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't think you quite understand the system. It is RATED, its no longer CERTIFIED, there is a difference.
With certification it HAS to meet certain requirements, AND it is subject to off the shelf audit test, and IS! In fact Castrol was nailed a couple months ago and had to pull a few million quarts of the shelves.
When the only is simply rated, it is not subject to audit testing, and it can carry any rating they wish, including ABSOLETE ratings like SG which is what it is now, and is a rating from the 70s.
In essence, they DUMPED the API for their "racing oil" which is EXACTLY what every REAL racing oil did years ago.

I won't get into it with you again about how bad the stuff was. The point is, now there are no handcuffs they are suppose to meet, like every other STREET Camel piss oil that it once was.

Now, how long before anybody that wants it has to get it from a speed shop because EPA law won't allow it to be in the retail store and sold as an automotive oil.
Ok, Ok , OK , I get it.... But It's still racing oil....lol AND I buy mine from a speed shop! I still don't care! Lol

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Cool, I heard all the good stuff was being shipped to the speed shops and the junk was shipped to the big box stores anyway. I even heard the stuff at WalMart was coming from China:happy:
I don't believe everything I hear.......... Lol but Bob in all seriousness Do you buy cams,heads,rods, pistons at Wallyworld,pep boys, autozone?? Of course you don't! Why not get your oil from the place you get parts from? Convience? Well no but dude there are plenty around us! Really not that big of deal. I don't change my oil but once a year anyhow! I realize you race guys change way more often..... The bad asses get oil free! are you a bad ass? Lol:D You hate VR1 why do you care?
You don't even think its real? LLol Maybe try it at LB? I hear it wins races there? Lol I know its won races there!
I hear it eats salty plugs??? We both know somebody's who's wife loves the shit! Instead of KY they have a bottle of 60wt in the night stand.....lol:happy:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts