Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't take the blistering heat anymore so hauled the boat to Dana Point for the weekend. Other than the dock nazi's at the marina, we had a great time. Ran to Long Beach for lunch at the Yard House then cruised back down to Dana. Water was a little big coming out of Dana but flattened out when after we headed north a bit. The boat ran awesome, handles the big water with ease and didn't even use too much fuel.

Ran up on a dolphin feeding frenzy so stopped and shut the motors off to watch. It was pretty cool as they swam all around the boat. Must have been about 50 of them and you could hear them breathing.

Anyway, for those of you who have never gone out in the ocean I recommend it highly. After you get out of the marina it's so wide open and such a different feel than lake boating.

Attachments

· Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to drop my boat in the big blue but at 23' it makes me a bit nervous.

Sh!t, I used to go out in my 20' Outlaw! No matter how big you are you have to pick your days. You can do a 23 footer without any problems. Saturday afternoon was very flat and you would have been fine. May want to go with other boats though until you get some experience. I ran Dana Point to Long Beach and back with just me and my GF. Most of the guys I usually run with (SCOPE guys) go way faster than me so it's nice to go at my own pace which was about 40 MPH when we came out of DP but then ran around 50 to 60 the rest of the day. I always have a GPS and radio and all the standard safety stuff.

· Registered
861 Posts
Sounds like a great weekend... I miss living 30 minutes from the ramp in Newport and being to go to Catalina for a day trip... I used to love turning off the boat in the middle of a dolphin pod and just listen to them - pretty cool!!

· The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
ask around about me and my 23 laser going to catalina with the laveycraft guys the past two years in 7 foot swells and 3 ft wind chop. oh and did i mention one of those years there was a small craft advisory. ive gone to catalina when i shouldnt have and ive gone when the channel was glass. at 62 mph it takes about 27 min to get there:)devil

· Premium Member
1,369 Posts
ask around about me and my 23 laser going to catalina with the laveycraft guys the past two years in 7 foot swells and 3 ft wind chop. oh and did i mention one of those years there was a small craft advisory. ive gone to catalina when i shouldnt have and ive gone when the channel was glass. at 62 mph it takes about 27 min to get there:)devil
So you're the one......... :)devil I've seen pics... Maybe even a video..

· Registered
313 Posts
I know you guys are talking about the Pacific... but I can relate :) I had my HTM on Lake Michigan once. Should've seen all the guys faces in the marina on their Yachts, 42 Outerlimits, 38 Top Guns.. etc as my Cacklin Procharged BBC went idling by with the hood cracked open in my baby cat.. peoples jaws were dropped lol.

Ran about 20 miles one way, it was sunny and flat calm.. I noticed the wind starting to pick up and it getting overcast.. needless to say we hustled back to the marina lol

· Registered
1,364 Posts
Sounds like a great day on the water Al! Did you happen to run across any other boaters?

Dan, the 25 Baja Outlaw is a great boat! I had a 24 Outlaw and boated in the Pacific more than the lakes for 7 years. Out to the islands and up and down the coast all the time. At times, Baja doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves but I'd buy another in a heart beat!

I wouldn't bet on the 95 mph speed quoted. My 24 Outlaw had a blown 650 in it and did around 80. 50 more HP isn't going to get you 15 more mph in a boat that's bigger.;) Good looking boat though, at a decent price.

· Dreaming of snow
1,046 Posts
We had taken our 27 out into the ocean several times. Was always fun, would run from Newport to HB, and a few times down to dana. Went out about 5 miles once, it wasnt bad. A vhull would deffinately be a better ride out there. Just make sure you bring a hose so you can wash the boat down and flush.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
I want to go again!!!!

It was awesome when we did it last September with exception for 1 thing.... FOG!!!! I now hate fog. Visibility was 1/8 mile at times. It was crazy at Dana Point and if I didn't have radar, the trip would have been ruined.

Stayed at Dana point, and would highly recommend doing this trip.

Attachments

· Registered
313 Posts

· Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey ChiliPepper,

I've been watching this Baja 25'r for a while now. Pretty good deal for someone.. Big motor, should be fun in big blue..
http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=3484

I bought a 25 OL brand new in 05 with a 496HO. It was a great boat. I didn't know Pfaff messed around with 496's. I would be suspect of 700 HP (looks normally aspirated) but if so, would really be concerned about the drive. Also doubt 95MPH but if so, would be a handfull in a 25! Nice boat though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.