Banned
1,517 Posts
yep- when they played the national anthem and then flew the planes over
then lit off the fuelies that was pretty much it

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
I live in Anderson, just north of RB.

The race cancellation is easily the biggest disappointment in my 8 years or so living there.

It is indicative of a trend seen around the country now. PC and "Green" at any cost.
The financial loss to the town and surrounding area must be significant, especially in this disastrous economy.
The races and the annual rodeo are really the 2 big draws for RB.

That this choice was made is absolutely ridiculous, IMHO.
I am also a pretty avid fisherman, and understand fish and game management very well. I lived in Alaska for 30 years, and have been familiar with fish management for at least that long.
This decision is a farce, I feel.
Completely screwed the town financially with a BS smokescreen about fish fry.
Welcome to the new and improved "green" USA.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I loved the Red Bluff extravaganza. Ali promoted a great event. It was good for the Nor-Cal area business, from motels to resturants, gas stations,bars and etc. From what I have heard, it will not be back. Hopefully we can find another venue in No.Cal.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
redbluff was awesome. ali did a great job promoting over the years, but with the whole town being 100% involved and behind it really made the whole thing great. i can remember when the trees all along the track were just sticks with no shade at all, and now that it's over, that whole area is like a park...
i remember a couple years ago, early friday morning setting up, the pilots came shooting up the track doing some practice flybys. no warning, just two jets shooting by a couple times about 2-300' above the water... unbelievable.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I rember as a kid being up at the memorial day,and labor day boat drags,there was no in ramp! all the boats where launched and recoverd by the dam!where the in ramp is now there was nothing but a small beach!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Drag boats lining the street of downtown, from one end to the other. Music filling the streets from the booth of the local radio station, until the boats began to fire that is. Your choice of restaurant and bars to choose from. Plenty of eye candy for all, both fiberglass and two legged. The fire engine at the south end proudly displaying the American flag from its mast.
The opening ceremony of the national anthem with our men in uniform out on a barge, followed by the fly bye's then the top fuelers. Records being broken on a regular basis. It was hot, but you enjoyed it anyway. The largest crowds I have ever seen. I can't say for sure, but I think we might have lost the best race on the west coast. I know I will miss it anyway....

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Mud bog

I drove by the venue earlier this year, just to see for myself. What a disappointment, just a mud bog where the lagoon was....Talked to a couple of locals out for a morning walk and they too were disappointed. Is this a permanent change? Seems as though the Red Bluff merchants would have a little say so about the lost revenue and pressure the City council to do something to get the races back in town. Is there another site that would be compatible to racing in the area?.....I know we took the SS550 back through town and found an area to do a little testing back in 05'. Of course the Sheriffs boat followed Chris Arnold in to the ramp and we just barely pulled away in time......Ray

·
Registered
29 Posts
Red Bluff has been awfully quiet this weekend for the first time in about 10 years. It appears drag boat racing is done here forever.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At your age you'd be happy if anything "POPPED UP" :D:)grn
Now did YOU really NEED to say that. Just beacause you haven't even seen your unit for 5 years does not mean that everyone over 50 has the same problem that YOU have.

And yes by the way I AM happy everytime it pops up 1 time or 10 times a day it doesen't matter

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Red Bluff has been awfully quiet this weekend for the first time in about 10 years. It appears drag boat racing is done here forever.
but... they can't take away the memories. they were all awesome events, but '04 sticks out for me - 28 boats in the class, and when we went in for the 3rd round, we were told; "if you win, come right back". so we did for the 4th round, then for the final. we pulled up in the staging lane, waiting for rick, sitting next to rb's pos; hippy smiles at me, says "good luck". getting that first ihba win there, with my kids, grandkids and a bunch of friends there to share it will never go away... i just keep huntin' for the one that will top it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
04 was a good year, we sponsored the factory Canyon TAF that year. My favorite RB race was 2001, it was a great time with some great friends. I think it was 1999 when the race came back after not having it for 3 years, that was a good one too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts