Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 1995 Marlin 18.5 foot boat with a 4.3L merc cruiser. It has a 14 1/2 X 17 prop. The prop is bent and I need to replace it. I was told this prop is too small. Does anyone know what size prop I should install?

Thank you,

Russ

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
I just bought a used 1995 Marlin 18.5 foot boat with a 4.3L merc cruiser. It has a 14 1/2 X 17 prop. The prop is bent and I need to replace it. I was told this prop is too small. Does anyone know what size prop I should install?

Thank you,

Russ
That should use a 19 pitch 3 blade from mercruiser, aluminum, or stainless steel your choise for ski, out of the hole and help keep the bow down more level on take off and cruise, But it should also work good with a 21 pitch for a faster cruise speed and top end, But a little slower out of the hole and a little higher bow ride over all. All depends on what you will be using the boat for, Play or Cruising.:)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

Thank you,

Russ
IMHO, a 17" pitch is too "short"... I would agree with the 19", but go with a smaller diameter (14 1/4") one. Stainless is up to you, depends on if you boat in shallows or not really (you will not be able to tell the difference with that V6).

I don't think she'll be able to pull a 21" or not, depends on where you rev's are with the 19".

You could also get a larger diameter 17" that has been "double cupped", it will give you the best of both worlds, out of the hole and top speed performance....

GT :)hand

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
I had 1994 Marlin 180 with a 4.3 2bbl carb. I ran a Merc High 5 stainless prop 21 pitch. Great for skiing. The tail lift in that prop cuts down on bow rise. It ran an honest 50mph trimmed out. I also tried a 23 merc stainless 3 blade that was vented. Lost bottom end but got almost 54mph. That turns out to be the upper limit for handling on those hulls.

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Something else to look at on this boat are these:

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm

My Marlin was a 180 which I think is one model smaller than yours. But it had tendency to lean way to much in slow tight turns. Those trim tabs will cure that. They made a huge improvement in handling with no effect on top speed. Easy install also.

·
Not taking any Crap
31 Posts
House boat prop

U need a big ol' houseboat prop dude! ! ! ! Just kidding Russ....
Glad to see you making use of the forums. Lots of good info here, just for the asking. Great people willing to help. Just like I told ya.....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Prop 4 Magic 28' Deck Boat

Its a 2005 with 496Ho and bravo1 x drive. It's being delivered Monday minus prop.......... anyone have one or know what it had?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts