Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad state of business, a company that we have delt with for several years and that has been family owned and run for 65 years just announced that it is closing its doors at the end of this week. I dont know the details but they probably overleveraged themselves when times were good and now even cutting to the bone isnt enough. :mad:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
What type of industry/business, no names necessary.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The Co. I started with in 1987 just closed there doors Jan 1,same thing family owned and a half dozen friends out of work now.Its not getting better for sure I wish the media would stop there BS too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You should explain to them that we are in the middle of a recovery and that their business should be doing well. Everything is fixed now.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
You should explain to them that we are in the middle of a recovery and that their business should be doing well. Everything is fixed now.
:signhuh:

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sad state of business, a company that we have delt with for several years and that has been family owned and run for 65 years just announced that it is closing its doors at the end of this week. I dont know the details but they probably overleveraged themselves when times were good and now even cutting to the bone isnt enough. :mad:
Why do people always assume that if you go out of business, it must have been because you screwed up and overleveraged. Business is just plain bad. I know many people that ran a tight ship and they can't make it anymore.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why do people always assume that if you go out of business, it must have been because you screwed up and overleveraged. Business is just plain bad. I know many people that ran a tight ship and they can't make it anymore.

Your right, I dont have any inside information. That being said, the company has been around 65 years and has seen ups and downs before. Also this was not what I consider a real small company...several million a year in sales, probably 15-25 employees. Most companies with those numbers could cut,cut,cut and remain alive, unless the owners just want to give up or somewhere their overhead was too high (I know this from personal experience)

Either way a sad thing to see, employees calling us for a last order crying. I didnt want to turn this political, just a statement on the economy that its not just weeding out the new high flyers that came along the last few years but also some of the staples of some industries.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I think that's a bit of sarcasm, donzi. ....I think:)eh:)

Of course it is. The sarcasm is aimed at the droves of people that voted for an ineffective unqualified president because they actually believed he would make everythig right. This in a world where a qualified effective leader would be hard pressed to do so.

I don't mean to make light of the financial problems and joblessness people are facing. Most of my friends work in construction and trucking and they are all hurting big time.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Toughest economy ever I believe. However, there are some rays of light, just not in the construction industry. The buyers of distressed business, low end restaurants and suppliers of the government have done well in recent years.

It is terrible to watch. Terrible to see. Remember when fuel went over $3 and the media went crazy on "W". Obama stops drilling, kills the oil business and drives them overseas and then wonders how oil is climbing through the roof and will kill what is left of this economy and has not a clue! And not a word from the media?! It's like Erkle saying "did I do that?"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts