Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to clean the pool skimmer and when I leaned over to empty the basket into the bush I noticed an extra branch on the tree. :D

Attachments

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Is that a Bull Gopher snake ?

That's a big sucker.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Leave it in the yard, it will eat mice, rats, neighborhood cats, rattlers, rattler eggs...it is the clean-up snake of the desert.....looks like a huge gopher snake....rock on you slithery devil..beautiful animal really...my son and I go rattler watching on Fridays..see them every week in the hills around Simi, we just look and watch..no killing here.....God made them too!!!;)

·
Former HB visitor
837 Posts
Leave it in the yard, it will eat mice, rats, neighborhood cats, rattlers, rattler eggs...it is the clean-up snake of the desert.....looks like a huge gopher snake....rock on you slithery devil..beautiful animal really...my son and I go rattler watching on Fridays..see them every week in the hills around Simi, we just look and watch..no killing here.....God made them too!!!;)
THAT thing will eat my dogs too. Guess I need bigger dogs if that snake cleans all that crap up!:D

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
I agree looks like a gopher snake. Actually quite mellow. You could have handled him easily and changed your shorts later.:D They are actually good pet snakes.

Like said above they are a scavenger snake or think catfish of snakes. Lots of those in So Cal. They will eat dead or catch live all the stuff you don't want around. He looks to be doing well. :D

About two years ago we were at the park across the street from where we live and vector control was placing bait stations for ground rats all around the fields. I commented to him that was a bummer to have a rat problem at baseball fields. He told me you either have Gopher Snakes or Ground Rats. Not both and the lack of snakes around was giving them a major rat problem.

So pet him on the head and tell him to keep it up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I agree looks like a gopher snake. Actually quite mellow. You could have handled him easily and changed your shorts later.:D They are actually good pet snakes.

Like said above they are a scavenger snake or think catfish of snakes. Lots of those in So Cal. They will eat dead or catch live all the stuff you don't want around. He looks to be doing well. :D

About two years ago we were at the park across the street from where we live and vector control was placing bait stations for ground rats all around the fields. I commented to him that was a bummer to have a rat problem at baseball fields. He told me you either have Gopher Snakes or Ground Rats. Not both and the lack of snakes around was giving them a major rat problem.

So pet him on the head and tell him to keep it up.
My sentiments exactly!!!

·
Wishin I was at the lake!
547 Posts
In my yard, if it doesn't have rattles, it lives. Otherwise, it gets to meet the business end of a large shovel. :|err

I know they're all "God's creatures" but the dangerous ones don't get a chance to be dangerous around the family!

:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.