Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
World Class Detailer
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A black bird swoops down on us and paces the pontoon, flying right next to me, we were going 35mph at the time, this goofy bird flies to the inside and perches himself on a seat cushion so i slow down to figure out what the hell he is doing, my buddy fed him a chip out of his hand.........which was pretty cool, the bird made a mess but thats ok, he got what he wanted and got outta there.................end of story.

I have pictures if someone wants to send me an email.......................thanks !!

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
A black bird swoops down on us and paces the pontoon, flying right next to me, we were going 35mph at the time, this goofy bird flies to the inside and perches himself on a seat cushion so i slow down to figure out what the hell he is doing, my buddy fed him a chip out of his hand.........which was pretty cool, the bird made a mess but thats ok, he got what he wanted and got outta there.................end of story.

I have pictures if someone wants to send me an email.......................thanks !!
Post them?

RD

·
I don't feel tardy
845 Posts

You should have made a b-line for some reeds and spun the pontoon. Make that big bird work for his chip. :)devil

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Grackles

Those guys have been pirating that stretch of water since I can remember. We are usually in for a Grackle Pirate attack between the sandbar and devil's elbow every trip.

Stay on plane and just hold a chip or piece of bread, they'll find you. Kids love it.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts

Had one flying beside us last weekend too. Was pretty cool watching him just cruise along with the occassional wing flap.

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Years back I had ducks flying a few feet off the water at 50mph on Clear lake. Didn't know they were that fast.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Years back I had ducks flying a few feet off the water at 50mph on Clear lake. Didn't know they were that fast.
Depending on the species, over 60 is not out of line for bursts. Teal manage this.
Mallards peak in the mid to upper 40's.

Typical cruise is in the 20-30mph range tho.

The Eider Duck has the sustained cruise record, 47mph over long distance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Stay on plane and just hold a chip or piece of bread, they'll find you. Kids love it.[/quote]

Ditto!

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
Depending on the species, over 60 is not out of line for bursts. Teal manage this.
Mallards peak in the mid to upper 40's.

Typical cruise is in the 20-30mph range tho.

The Eider Duck has the sustained cruise record, 47mph over long distance.
New boat name... "Eider Duck"... :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
My wife feeds them all the time, has someone said they will hunt you down in between the sand bar and devils elbow, just hold up some food and watch the next one come flying from the shore.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Last year I chased down a toon with what looked like a bunch of kids on board, they were holding up food and then trying to shot the birds. So i ask them if they want me to go get that park ranger so they can find out how much the fine is for hunting in a Federal preserve. The grand father on the boat agreed they should put the gun away. What a Fawking tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts