Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
oucccccchhhhhhhh:)sphss good thing is its a berk suction housing and cheap to replace(used);)

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
Never happened to me but I have one here that looks the same.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
Holly shit batman :|err Ouch.

Was that during a power pass ?

S CP :D

·
Dangerous Man
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holly shit batman :|err Ouch.

Was that during a power pass ?

S CP :D
S CP
Yes it was during a power pass,
Do you think it's from over pressure of the suction?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
AJ , this is more common on "E" pumps and but occasionally Gs Cs etc one way is when/if you "fly" either on purpose or not the the Jet can/will take a gulp of air and when it (the boat) "settles" the air in the top of the intake is shockloaded by the returning water charge and blows out the cleanout lid or worse the suction casting like yours. My Tx 16 blew 3 covers before I got a loader that worked and "plated" reinforced Meirsch cover Tom

just be glad the jets set back !

(Call if you need a suction)

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
you got VERY VERY lucky it broke like it did, if that happened inside the boat (the break is 1/4" away) you would have been on the bottom of the lake in a heartbeat.

I have broken a berkeley before, its not all that uncommon. It probably broke for a reason but its possible it just broke from fatigue. this is the reason alot of us went to Dominator housings, they are bulletproof but you pay a weight penalty.

I have a couple used suctions as well if you need one.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Big azz buzz kill right there.:|err Yes, I have had that happen. Blew up the suction piece and half the bowl.:mad: Would have left my bowl, diverter and steering nozzel on the bottom of the river if it wasn't for the steering and diverter cables on my berkley je pump. Funny thing bout them je pumps, they weren't designed to work with 650 hp motors @ 6000rpm. My issue was from high speed cavitation due to the lack of quality installation commonly found with insert pump suction pieces. Good news is I was able to cut it out and install a whole new Aggressor 'R' pump with custom intake and all the goodies. Now it launches and decellerates dead staight, handles excellent and picked up 12mph right out of the box before tuning the hardware.:D That's a nice inducer impellor in front of that alum. impellor. Is it new? Have you made any other changes to the pump hardware? Have you increased rpm's significantly or is this just one of those wtf head scratchers. Sorry to see your problem on such a nice looking boat. Looks like it's set up pretty well until this happened. What do you think caused this? Good luck with repair. I hope it leaves you with at least as much improvement as I received with mine. Keep us posted, I'd like to learn as much from this as possible.
Thanks,
JJ

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
It doesnt even look that thin where it broke, alot of times there is alot of core shift and one side is much thinner than the other.

does the boat surge or feel like its unloading when your up to speed? you might have some setup issues going on.

Some engine specs (assuming under 650 with that alum impeller?) and few pics of the bottom and setup would help. What boat is it?

CS

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
AJ , this is more common on "E" pumps and but occasionally Gs Cs etc one way is when/if you "fly" either on purpose or not the the Jet can/will take a gulp of air and when it (the boat) "settles" the air in the top of the intake is shockloaded by the returning water charge and blows out the cleanout lid or worse the suction casting like yours. My Tx 16 blew 3 covers before I got a loader that worked and "plated" reinforced Meirsch cover Tom

just be glad the jets set back !

(Call if you need a suction)
That's almost sig worthy Tom................:D

·
Dangerous Man
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesnt even look that thin where it broke, alot of times there is alot of core shift and one side is much thinner than the other.

does the boat surge or feel like its unloading when your up to speed? you might have some setup issues going on.

Some engine specs (assuming under 650 with that slum impeller?) and few pics of the bottom and setup would help. What boat is it?

CS
CS 19
The boat did surge or feel like its unloading, The boat ran 96 @ 6000rpm,
It's a 19ft Nordic Tunnel, with a 496, I will get a few pics of the bottom and setup later.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
yeah that sucks.:|erri have a je pump,it sees north of 6,000 rpm alot;)no problems so far been a few years.

but i do have alot of time invested into it and money with set-up help of seastrums.travis:)hand

·
Registered
319 Posts
yup!

mine split from one end to the other. it was AT housing. caused by running hard in rough water. yr before it blew the handhole cover off and couple yr before that it blew the bowl off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You are in fact a lucky one. I have an enclosed setback. Witch means my pump is set back as far as yours, it's just enclosed by the boat. So yes if that happened to me I would be in big big trouble. Just for the heck of it I saw you 6AL MSD Box at the very back of the boat, that also isn't a good thing. They just don't last long if you get them wet very offten. If in fact thats where you like it mounted and there is nowhere else to put it. A little life saver for it would be a splash gaurd. I put one on and my bulge pump works less than half than it ever did. Just something to think about. I think mine was only $100 or a bit cheaper.

Like everyone else has said, Easy Fix. And it also looks like you loader empellor and shaft is all still good. This is where you find out that jet boat break downs are alot cheaper to fix than another setup. I had a friend that had an IO setup and hit rocks going up the Parker Strip and it ripped the whole thing off and that was a 6 or 8 thousand dollar fix I think. Even V-Drive boats, If you hit bottom with rocks and bend that shaft, that can also be big bucks to fix.

If your having trouble finding an intake I think Burgeron Marine has a few on them not in use. I'll throw down the number just to keep your options open and getting you back on the water. 480-834-1531 is the number. Good luck with everything.

OverKill

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had one in a southwind to break all the way around by luck it only went
20 ft. down stern first.
I think it was cause water was very ruff.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would certainly recommend going back with a Dominator suction housing. The pictures of the bottom and set up may help here too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts