Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i first ran the new turbos with massive richness, 110 secondary jets drilled out & power valves (2) drilled to .120 . ..well it was real fat but if i remember right it cleared up & ate it all. in the prosses of that i seen the manifold under the carb was iced!. ..anyway i forgot to turn on the water cooling to the turbos, carb housing & oil cooler. i also dont remember seeing the maniford iced up ever again.....my thoughts were that now the turbos are bigger the motor is pulling enough air to ice the manifold up & water cooling now is actually heating the manifold even if it is 60* water. ( higher temp than 32*) ......so iced up manifold flowing fuel ,entering into the turbo, exta cold,less heat upon compression of the boost prosses, more power! i think i will need to replumb . any thoughts to this guys?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Frosty...

Not sure if it's related, but it is quite common to "frost" up a NA tunnel ram....
Ray

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
The ports through the bottom of that Carb box are actually designed to put a little heat into the carb to help the engine "warm up" and idle better. Many schematics actually showed oil going through there instead of water. I always just had mine plugged and never had any ill effects from it. JMO

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Why did you drill out the jets ?
Go back to the stock size jets and power valves and try it that way first.

With the A/F ratio, rather than thinking, "make it fat" think about, "make it right"
Use an O2 sensor. Shoot for 11.7:1 with a turbo engine running high boost. 12:1 with low boost.

·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why did you drill out the jets ?
Go back to the stock size jets and power valves and try it that way first.

With the A/F ratio, rather than thinking, "make it fat" think about, "make it right"
Use an O2 sensor. Shoot for 11.7:1 with a turbo engine running high boost. 12:1 with low boost.
it always ran to lean. i had to do the work on the carb to get it not to melt pistons. with that in mind i know i was going more hp with bigger turbos so i did everything that i could to get fuel to flow for the higher boost. well it worked real good so now i am pulling fuel out. it ran lean . i got oil coming out of the right turbo! i think i still am getting water in the oil with no pressure at all! hooked it to the hose & ran it with it exiting out the pipes & pump . looked like it might have risen the oil level. not sure. hard to read the dipstick. i am going to the lake to wrench & figure this out it might be reversion if one of the logs is cracked? or the block at the cyl. wall? it
sure is pissing me off though.

·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it always ran to lean. i had to do the work on the carb to get it not to melt pistons. with that in mind i know i was going more hp with bigger turbos so i did everything that i could to get fuel to flow for the higher boost. well it worked real good so now i am pulling fuel out. it ran lean . i got oil coming out of the right turbo! i think i still am getting water in the oil with no pressure at all! hooked it to the hose & ran it with it exiting out the pipes & pump . looked like it might have risen the oil level. not sure. hard to read the dipstick. i am going to the lake to wrench & figure this out it might be reversion if one of the logs is cracked? or the block at the cyl. wall? it
sure is pissing me off though.
i think the oil was from the drain tube on the other side leaking & seeping thru the heat shield & pipe due to no gaskets yet (test pipe) it felt tight !

·
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
back to icieng up the manifold or frosting up . its a good thing? i thought i have heard people say if the tune is right it ices up > any comments /info guys?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
back to icieng up the manifold or frosting up . its a good thing? i thought i have heard people say if the tune is right it ices up > any comments /info guys?
I will start with the first high five on a manifold that is icing! Mine does it all the time and it is a N/A deal and I frost up the manifold all the time! The one thing I would do is get rid of the "drilled" items and match to a factory replacement! Reason being that drilled stuff doesn't flow the same as a machined item and can create turbulence with the flow! I don't think it will change the tune as much as help a equal flow. Some of the Nitros guys might agree that a cold flow into the combustion chamber makes H/P. I will probably get BBQ'd for that statement but the colder the charge the better with gas! Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts