Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Twice now within a week, my neighbor has come knocking on my door in the middle of a very dangerous lightning storm!!!! We've had record rain fall with the storms too....2+" in some areas. The problem he is having is, and he sez it's cuz of my garage location.....it's been there for 20 years, flooding in his yard. He's threatening to call the city. I'm like, "Ken, I'm sorry, these storms are bad". " Nothing I can do". Here's what I've done so far....behind my garage is a triangle shape of low land....it's about 30' pie shaped as I said...water is filling the area from gutters off my garage, and rain fall. Goes into his yard, follows fence line into a low spot in his yard....get this...goes through his backdoor. Floods his basement. I think he needs to dig a hole and put a pump in it??? The guy is driving me crazy!!! Any ideas for him? His back side of the house is so low. Here's a few pics. Thanks, Dewey

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had a house once with a similar issue except no basement. Bottom line is water flows downhill and cannot be obstructed. I was on your neighbors end and did what I could to get the water to travel downhill through my property around my house. Let him go to the city, they will probably help him redirect the water without blocking it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He'll prolly do that.....I put up gutters....offered to help pay for rain water collect catch basin ....their only 100 gallons.....we've had 1000's of gallons past week...freak rain storms.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Had a house in the Midwest that did that. We built up the ground around the house and created flower beds. He needs to build the ground up around the problem area to direct the water else ware.This will prevent the water from going to his house. If his foundation of the house has leaks he's screwed otherwise.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Easy deal, you and your buddies or your neighbor can fix this in a matter of a few hours...

It is in your best interest to get the water away from your foundatin and heading DOWNHILL to the drainage basin behind your yard... OR out to the street, wherever downhill is...

Run to Lowes or Home Depot and get enough 3" schedule 40 and glue joints to get the water AWAY... One hour of sweat with a sharp shooter (shovel) and you have the ditch dug to bury the pipe...

I dont like using the slip/bell joint sewer pipe (thin stuff) because it will come back to haunt you with tree roots or someone accidentally sticking a shovel through the thin/brittle sewer drain tile/sewer pipe...

Do it ONCE and be done with it, schedule 40 primed and glued... ELBOW it UP and flare it up, put the downspout right into the pipe... Don't dick around with pumps/tanks/sumps...

As always have the utilities/cable tv/phone lines/gas lines marked first... You can stack the dirt in the LOW SPOT and eliminate that once and for all...

Your concrete/foundation/garage/sidewalks/patio will stay intact and will love you for this... The freeze/thaw heaving is very very very bad for your own foundation/concrete...

EZ deal... Get it out about 40' - 50' from your garage OR trench it back to the street and let the storm sewers get rid of the water... I have seen people chip out the cement roll curb on the street and hand mix a bag of quick crete to patch and hide the pipe where you chip it through the concrete curb (do that at night if you have to) :cool:

EZ digging when it is still wet... Drive a wood stake at the corner by the downspout and stretch a string line to the back of your yard OR to the street, whichever looks like the best option...

AND keep peace with your neighbor whenever possible, its easier than moving OR living next door to someone that you are pissed off at...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Tell your neighbor I'll sell him this F E Myers effluent pump, it'll pump 95 gpm ...

If he goes to the city I would think common sense would show that you have put out an effort as a "good neighbor" to help the guy. Considering the length of time your property has been as it is, with no recent changes that would effect drainage, I would hope the city would view the flooding as an unfortunate natural occurrence and was not caused by any negligence on your part.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
offered to help pay for rain water collect catch basin ....their only 100 gallons
Dewey, Get a hold of one of them doomsday prepers and tell them you have "all natural survival water" and they can have it for free, they'll empty the catch basins as soon as they fill up, overfilling problem solved :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice.......but my yard behind the garage use to be part of the alley. It's been fenced off for 30 years.....everyone took part/half and moved their fences. Behind my garage is low.....seems all my neighbors, 6 on my fence line...built up their half of the alley and it flows to my yard and my neighbors.....nothing we can do about that....they live on the street behind me and are rarely behind their garages. It's not their fault anyway. I like the idea of the PVC deal.....but it's not possible....200+' and all uphill....he's not home now, I took a couple more pics, I think he needs to redo his yard big time.....that brick so called patio, tapers to his backdoor....also his backdoor threshold? Is only 1-1 1/2" thick.... That's not normal is it? I'll see him later....damn storms are building again......he's got sheets and rugs piled by his door......last pic, is a view of behind my garage from his yard.....

Attachments

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Good advice.......but my yard behind the garage use to be part of the alley. It's been fenced off for 30 years.....everyone took part/half and moved their fences. Behind my garage is low.....seems all my neighbors, 6 on my fence line...built up their half of the alley and it flows to my yard and my neighbors.....nothing we can do about that....they live on the street behind me and are rarely behind their garages. It's not their fault anyway. I like the idea of the PVC deal.....but it's not possible....200+' and all uphill....he's not home now, I took a couple more pics, I think he needs to redo his yard big time.....that brick so called patio, tapers to his backdoor....also his backdoor threshold? Is only 1-1 1/2" thick.... That's not normal is it? I'll see him later....damn storms are building again......he's got sheets and rugs piled by his door......last pic, is a view of behind my garage from his yard.....
I see... Are you at the low spot in your subdivision???

Where do the downspouts on your house run to???

How about a goldfish/koi pond in your low spot??? :D

Also, is that a LARGE fruit tree in your back yard??? :D

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see... Are you at the low spot in your subdivision???

Where do the downspouts on your house run to???

How about a goldfish/koi pond in your low spot??? :D

Also, is that a LARGE fruit tree in your back yard??? :D
yes my yard and some of his own yard very low...also, that is a crabapple and a green apple tree in the corner of the yard...my downspouts on the house go to my side yard.....no issues there...I'm going to check into a rain barrel on the other side of the garage....and he can collect from his yard with a rain barrel from my other gutter on the garage.....don't know what else to do for him.... It's up to him to run the hose from the barrel somewhere....hopefully the record rains will come to an end....but, it will happen again....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dewey, Get a hold of one of them doomsday prepers and tell them you have "all natural survival water" and they can have it for free, they'll empty the catch basins as soon as they fill up, overfilling problem solved :))THumbsUp
lol...your not helping !!!!!!:D
I do feel bad.....I went outside numerous times last night...checking it between storms....I could hear his shop vac going for hours.....:no:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tell your neighbor I'll sell him this F E Myers effluent pump, it'll pump 95 gpm ...

If he goes to the city I would think common sense would show that you have put out an effort as a "good neighbor" to help the guy. Considering the length of time your property has been as it is, with no recent changes that would effect drainage, I would hope the city would view the flooding as an unfortunate natural occurrence and was not caused by any negligence on your part.
I've turned into " the old guy on the block" @ 53 years old.... Lol I moved in in 89.... Seen 4 home owners in that house....always having issues with the foundation......never like this tho.....2"+ rain twice in a week....even snow melt is borderline...but it never made it to his back door....Mother Nature can be a bitch.....

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
I've turned into " the old guy on the block" @ 53 years old.... Lol I moved in in 89.... Seen 4 home owners in that house....always having issues with the foundation......never like this tho.....2"+ rain twice in a week....even snow melt is borderline...but it never made it to his back door....Mother Nature can be a bitch.....
Mother Nature is a bitch!, If your home has been there for 20+ years, this is not your problem unless you have made changes in your landscape redirecting water to run off in his area. Mother nature is bitch, but in this case it is your neighbor's bitch. At 59 I can appreciate being the "old guy on the block". I think it is great of you trying to assist and help, but be very careful not to take responsibility for your neighbors poor, inadequate landscaping and lack of proper drainage......It is their design that is flawed. Let him call the city.....he should get an education from that experience.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apparently, he has issues with his roof too ....has a roofer walking around on top of it.....no news is good news I guess....he's ignoring me....

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I've recently dealt with a very similar issue like this twice. Once was almost like your situation and the other was where our upstairs condo balcony was leaking water into the neighbors kitchen. In that case the HOA took care of it but it took some legal effort on our part. Let him call the city, it's his problem not yours.

·
Just Me
4,095 Posts
Since the landscaping tiles he has turned into a back porch do not look 20 years old, I would guestimate that there used to be a small rise between the ditch and his back door. The installation of the landscape tiles apparently also resulted in someone taking out the rise and making it flat. So the previous home owner removed the dam and now his basement is dammed.

If he alters his land and it causes that water to back up into your garage foundation, then that is his problem. Make sure you keep good notes on exactly what he does to remedy his water problem. Did the city deed the ally back to the home owners? If not, then the land owners that built theirs up could be required to remove it to allow the water to drain again.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for all the info and related stories......I had that garage built in 90-91. Had permits pulled....and the neighbor at the time had to sign off on it becuz the city said it didn't line up (the front) of it with the other garages on the block....pie shape lot I live on. Not too worried about that part if he calls the city....but, if you look close at a few pics I posted....see the kick out? I put the back end of my boat in it....I did that 8 years ago....that worries me. No permits pulled.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts