Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 74 tahiti, 468 olds with A2 impeller pushin 72 mph. Berk pump, jg bowl, PD droop, 2* up angle, and a diverter.

At speed in the 3rd notch up on my diverter im runnin about 1/3 of my hull in the water. Id like to free that up a bit, possibly gaining some performance. Any of you veterans out there have any ideas i could try to free this thing up?

opinions on the HTP snoot, and the adapt a shoe & ride plate kits would be nice as well. Id like to get my boat to ride right at the intake if possible. Ive seen many do it and like to get to that point.

Feel free to chime in with anything im all ears. Looking for pics as i speak to show you how wet i ride lol...

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
I'd try turning the wedge so you have 2º down, that's where mine works best.
The pump itself should be set about 4º down, adding the droop with approx 8º up and then another 2 with the wedge it equates to a net 6º up. Having it that way will give a bigger rooster tail but it also causes the transom to be forced down into the water. The water flow with the up wedge is also having to bend more than what's desired.
Turning the wedge over will help lift the back of the boat so you can then better adjust the attitude of the hull with the diverter

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd try turning the wedge so you have 2º down, that's where mine works best.
The pump itself should be set about 4º down, adding the droop with approx 8º up and then another 2 with the wedge it equates to a net 6º up. Having it that way will give a bigger rooster tail but it also causes the transom to be forced down into the water. The water flow with the up wedge is also having to bend more than what's desired.
Turning the wedge over will help lift the back of the boat so you can then better adjust the attitude of the hull with the diverter
CAS MY MAN!

how you been? comin up for NYD at cfw?? we have a 10 boat caravan heading out.. As for the 2* up i never thaught about the 4* intake set. If 4* is what its set at from factory for the tahiti ill try to take it out and see how it does. ill try without a wedge as well as ive never tried that. i always seem to think the intake is set at 0* to the keel.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Been doing well Matt, how about you?
I doubt we'll be heading to CFW but there's always a chance.
The bottom of the intake is set, or should be, to the bottom of the boat but the top of the intake has a wedge shape to it, higher on the engine side.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been doing well Matt, how about you?
I doubt we'll be heading to CFW but there's always a chance.
The bottom of the intake is set, or should be, to the bottom of the boat but the top of the intake has a wedge shape to it, higher on the engine side.
well it looks like i better start messin with some stuff. id like to get my mits on an adapt a shoe rideplate kit to help with my ride.. all in good time ;) im gonna try some speed runs at the setting i have now, with 2* down then no wedge at all and see where my best results are and go from there add or minus some degree on the wedge... wheres that tach? LOL!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whear is your fuel tank or tanks? Saddel tanks in the rear are better than a bow tank.

ive got a 10 gallon tank on each side of the hull that stretch from about 10" from the transom to just behind the driver and passanger seats.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
ive got a 74 tahiti, 468 olds with A2 impeller pushin 72 mph. Berk pump, jg bowl, PD droop, 2* up angle, and a diverter.

At speed in the 3rd notch up on my diverter im runnin about 1/3 of my hull in the water. Id like to free that up a bit, possibly gaining some performance. Any of you veterans out there have any ideas i could try to free this thing up?

opinions on the HTP snoot, and the adapt a shoe & ride plate kits would be nice as well. Id like to get my boat to ride right at the intake if possible. Ive seen many do it and like to get to that point.

Feel free to chime in with anything im all ears. Looking for pics as i speak to show you how wet i ride lol...
Your tahiti has a different deck than my old one. Maybe it has a different bottom too... My old one got a lil spooky around 70(on shut down). I'm not sure I'd want to try 80 in my old one. I'm no expert but getting it looser, may be a bad idea....I dunno. Again, your tahiti doesn't look like my old one.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Your tahiti has a different deck than my old one. Maybe it has a different bottom too... My old one got a lil spooky around 70(on shut down). I'm not sure I'd want to try 80 in my old one. I'm no expert but getting it looser, may be a bad idea....I dunno. Again, your tahiti doesn't look like my old one.
If I remember correctly, yours had a Panther...totally different;)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Matt heres a similar boat to yours (Apache) with setback Dominator (former Panther), runs 90+ looks sweet Tom

Has ride plate (not sure what shoe now) droop and diverter

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I didn't follow what you ended up doing to it? I know Tom ended up with it and put the conversion in it but never heard how it turned out? hell, I may even have all that wrong :)sphss
Steve I put the conversion in it, I'm having a hard time believing you don't remember that. If I'm steering him wrong by telling him a tahiti may not be the best hull to to go 75+ in it let me know. Again I don't know if his hull is the same as mine or not.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Steve I put the conversion in it, I'm having a hard time believing you don't remember that. If I'm steering him wrong by telling him a tahiti may not be the best hull to to go 75+ in it let me know. Again I don't know if his hull is the same as mine or not.
I'm old and don't remember who did what and when anymore :p ;)
Even with the conversion, it's not the same as his deal for a couple of reasons, 1 of which is the intake itself. The other is Panthers are set at 0º and Berks are set at 4º down. Since the conversion utilizes the stock Panther insert and intake, I would have to assume that the pump is still set at 0º?
Yes, your old hull is different from Matt's, you had the bubbledeck and Matt has the Super Tiger. There are many of each running in the 80's without any real ill effects. Any faster than that and I would probably be a bit leery :)

Sorry Matt! I guess you're not getting the input that you were looking for.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i can run 72 all day, ive hammered the hell out of my 468 olds and its loving it. my ass end really sets in the water though digging hard. If i do a complete shutdown at speed its smooth and i havent had any troubles yet. Ive done it quite a few times trying to get a read on plugs.​

TOM have you ever done a setback on a tahiti hull? did the customer feel any gains from it? Ive never really seen any tahitis in the "high performance" realm, and wondering if a setback would help or hurt my hull. Another thing, ive got a 2* wedge giving it some up angle. So ive only got 2* total down angle considering its 4* at the intake? perhaps gain some lift if i took out the 2* and allowed it to stay at 4?? or give it 2* more down for a total of 6*..​

For sure im looking at rideplates and shoes, thats my next step in tuning my boat to be where i want it. When i finally get some nice performance out of it, ill move to more power. (ive got a line up on a 468 and an 871 ;) ) But as it sits 72mph with a A2 impeller isnt to bad lol.. Its the higher R's with the A thats scaring me lol..​

my goal right now is just to make it as dry as possible. Im no expert, tryin to learn all the different things i can do to make my boat ride different and what kind of effects i can expect with more or less up or down angle.​

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
i can run 72 all day, ive hammered the hell out of my 468 olds and its loving it. my ass end really sets in the water though digging hard. If i do a complete shutdown at speed its smooth and i havent had any troubles yet. Ive done it quite a few times trying to get a read on plugs.​

TOM have you ever done a setback on a tahiti hull? did the customer feel any gains from it? Ive never really seen any tahitis in the "high performance" realm, and wondering if a setback would help or hurt my hull. Another thing, ive got a 2* wedge giving it some up angle. So ive only got 2* total down angle considering its 4* at the intake? perhaps gain some lift if i took out the 2* and allowed it to stay at 4?? or give it 2* more down for a total of 6*..​

For sure im looking at rideplates and shoes, thats my next step in tuning my boat to be where i want it. When i finally get some nice performance out of it, ill move to more power. (ive got a line up on a 468 and an 871 ;) ) But as it sits 72mph with a A2 impeller isnt to bad lol.. Its the higher R's with the A thats scaring me lol..​

my goal right now is just to make it as dry as possible. Im no expert, tryin to learn all the different things i can do to make my boat ride different and what kind of effects i can expect with more or less up or down angle.​
Matt the Tahiti (pics above) is recent set back but will never be a good comparison boat as it had a Panther and different motor in it previously Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts