Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a RPM air gap and quick fuel 850 on my 460 Chevy. My under load jetting is right where I want it. My Idle mixture is rich on 1,7,6 and 4 wich is the lower half of the dual plane and the drivers side of the carb. I am assuming I need to lean up my idle mixture on this side of the carb. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I am running a RPM air gap and quick fuel 850 on my 460 Chevy. My under load jetting is right where I want it. My Idle mixture is rich on 1,7,6 and 4 wich is the lower half of the dual plane and the drivers side of the carb. I am assuming I need to lean up my idle mixture on this side of the carb. Does this sound right?
NO!!! M

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
460 chevy?? hil:)

FYI, that is a BBC that is bored .030 over. Obviously you just made yourself look like an idiothil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)

So before you laugh at someone else, make sure that you know what the fock your talking about....................

·
ATTA BOY
2,348 Posts
FYI, that is a BBC that is bored .030 over. Obviously you just made yourself look like an idiothil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)

So before you laugh at someone else, make sure that you know what the fock your talking about....................
Let him catch his breath next time.........................FLMAO

hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Thanks, Now back to my question on my Chevy 460 11to1 .030 over 454 Chevy, anyone:)
Take ol guy's advice!!!!! He knows his shit!!!! NO!!! (Which I took as meaning don't lean it out, fat is good), am I right???:)Unsure

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I am doing is trying to do is fine tune it for idle. Power mixture is where I want it. 1,7,4and 6 are very rich at idle only, they are also on the same side of the carb since I am running a dual plane intake. I have to idle it quite a long time since the no wake zone is almost a half mile long. seems like it should be idle mixture on one side of the carb only.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Since its a QFT carb Im going to assume that it has 4 idle mixture screws? Have you adjusted them? A general rule of thumb will be to open each of them up until the RPM's stop increasing. Watch the tach. Sometimes the effect is subtle, but you do all 4 (I like to go around twice) and that could help...

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Idle mixture has no correlation to main metered mixture. Yes, adjust your idle mixture to be correct. It will not alter your main circuit power mixture at all.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since its a QFT carb Im going to assume that it has 4 idle mixture screws? Have you adjusted them? A general rule of thumb will be to open each of them up until the RPM's stop increasing. Watch the tach. Sometimes the effect is subtle, but you do all 4 (I like to go around twice) and that could help...
I nailed the mixture on the second try, kinda a pain when on the idle since the lake is 4600 feet and I live at 6600. I'll go around again but just needed an opinion to make sure my thinking was right , Thanks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If he is runing rich at idle (and seems to have a good understanding of the dual plane manifold), why shouldn't he lean it out????
Thanks for getting it:) I may sometimes sound like a tard on this sight, but I kinda know what I am doing just like to get opinions.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I nailed the mixture on the second try, kinda a pain when on the idle since the lake is 4600 feet and I live at 6600. I'll go around again but just needed an opinion to make sure my thinking was right , Thanks.
Bingo! They are so complicated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts