Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my 468 twin turbo is on borrowed time at 12lbs of boost with a stock crank and rods (forged pistons and aluminum heads)

So I have been keeping an eye on building a 502...since I know I am going boosted, should I try to just find a block and then get a rotating assembly from there, or should I try to find a stock short block?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I know my 468 twin turbo is on borrowed time at 12lbs of boost with a stock crank and rods (forged pistons and aluminum heads)

So I have been keeping an eye on building a 502...since I know I am going boosted, should I try to just find a block and then get a rotating assembly from there, or should I try to find a stock short block?
Why not just put a new crank in your 468? Is something wrong with the block?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more cubes. I figure if I am going to be going with a new crank and rods anyway, why not start with a siamesed block that can be scaled up?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would just spend a little extra scratch on a Dart Big M block. They can be configured so many ways. They clear large cranks, bored to 4.60+ and mount almost any stock accessory ever used on a BBC. Just build a 509. That's what I think if you don't want to go wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I would just spend a little extra scratch on a Dart Big M block. They can be configured so many ways. They clear large cranks, bored to 4.60+ and mount almost any stock accessory ever used on a BBC. Just build a 509. That's what I think if you don't want to go wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
go with a 540 best combo 4.5 x 4.25 ( same price)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Tt bbc

I'm in the same position. I have a 468 for bolt, with stout inner's. I'm collecting parts for a TT BBC. I'm waiting to purchase a Dart tall deck. I think in the long run, your money ahead. I've been told the stock BBC is not up to the task over 14psi. (Head sealing issues). Someone with more experience will probably discount this.
I have 2 BW S400's and intend on going EFI. I should be able to make more than 14psi. I'm not looking to build huge power but, "IF my combo does, I want a block that will be up to the task.
My build will be around 504-509cid. My heads are the weak link. They are not big enough to support 540+cid, and I'm not going to replace them. It's a budget issue.
Over on the Bullet, I'm reading they are having better results with more stroke than bore. This fits my heads better. My build is more of a "can I do it" thing, then trying to capture every last pony. Just my two cents.
Love reading the turbo stuff. Please keep us informed with all your build.

Be safe, schick

·
Registered
762 Posts
Why not build a 496? If your block is good and you plan on getting a new crank, rods and pistons I would go that direction. I was running a 496 TT, key word WAS, but scattered it:angry:. I probably could have saved my block, but decided to go new. I went with a 565" combo, Dart Big M block 4.60 bore, 4.25 NEW Cola crank, oliver rods and JE pistons. My thought would be that if your block is fine throw more money at the rotating assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts