Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i get my dream boat i would love to be able to afford one of these set ups either single or twins (money money) :)sphss what, other than the 10 horse power is the better setup and why?

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
I know, because I read it on the internet, that on the early Ilmors they'd drop a bunch of power in the Summer due to heat... not sure if that was ever addressed. The Merc would be my choice. ;)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
when i get my dream boat i would love to be able to afford one of these set ups either single or twins (money money) :)sphss what, other than the 10 horse power is the better setup and why?
Actually the 710 is 700HP - 10 cylinder truncated as 7-10.

The new one is a 725

Very difficult decision with no bad outcome they are both f-ing awesome.

Its a series of tradeoffs and ownership philosophies that determines which works best for you.

some things to consider are-

The Indy vs NXT
Blown vs. not blown.
Weight
Mileage
maintenance intervals to the moving parts
and overall life expectations

As is shown in other threads the merc 700 can lay out a ton of beans more with minimal mods which the ilmor cannot. You cant really do anything to an ilmor shy of a boostpower rebuild. (800HP)

altitude, heat, and weight will affect the Ilmor boat more than the merc boat

a pair of ilmors is significantly lighter 3-400lb than a pair of mercs.

Its a tough tradeoff and you are likely to be happy either way.

UD

·
Banned
34 Posts
Actually the 710 is 700HP - 10 cylinder truncated as 7-10.

The new one is a 725

Very difficult decision with no bad outcome they are both f-ing awesome.

Its a series of tradeoffs and ownership philosophies that determines which works best for you.

some things to consider are-

The Indy vs NXT
Blown vs. not blown.
Weight
Mileage
maintenance intervals to the moving parts
and overall life expectations

As is shown in other threads the merc 700 can lay out a ton of beans more with minimal mods which the ilmor cannot. You cant really do anything to an ilmor shy of a boostpower rebuild. (800HP)

altitude, heat, and weight will affect the Ilmor boat more than the merc boat

a pair of ilmors is significantly lighter 3-400lb than a pair of mercs.

Its a tough tradeoff and you are likely to be happy either way.

UD
Very Good Post... It is nice to get a serious answer to a real question.

You may also want to consider Teague 800's:D

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reliability

is one engine more reliable than the other?? who has the better warranty. obviously there are more merc repair spots than ilmor i assume. someone mentioned teague 800's what about warranty on that set up. is a teague built engine any more or less reliable than an ilmor or merc. what about the euro 662 which i understand is a slightly detuned 700?? anybody know anything about that euro 662.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i would go merc. nxt is proven. smartcraft is the sh&t. also after warranty a cam, pulley, thermostat, and an ecu mod and you've got 900sci's:D

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
is one engine more reliable than the other?? who has the better warranty. obviously there are more merc repair spots than ilmor i assume. someone mentioned teague 800's what about warranty on that set up. is a teague built engine any more or less reliable than an ilmor or merc. what about the euro 662 which i understand is a slightly detuned 700?? anybody know anything about that euro 662.
They are both extremely reliable

I dont know what the merc comes with but the Ilmor came with 2 years.

Ilmor can use a merc impeller. so that piece is easy to get, but you are righ there is vast difference in service centers.

Lifetime on both should be great- There is a claim that Ilmor hasnt recieved one engine back yet for a rebuild and that one guy in a skater has 800 hours on it.

I think teague 800 is a year.
Teague builds an awesome engine that competes with anyone in the same HP range. There is some debate over teagues non dry sumping at higher HP teague engines

The merc 700 needed some changes to pass euro emission spec hence the 662. The ilmor line is now all Euro and Kalifornia compliant but not the last gen.

The engines are different with different personalities

Ilmors 700 hp fuel injected all aluminum 505 v10 sounds like a cross between a ferrari and a BBC

Mercs 700 hp blown iron block aluminum head 504 - roars like a beast and delivers all that power under almost any conditions - with the associated tradeoffs of more plumbing, blower belt, more sensors and computation to keep the 700 indexed.

Whats cooler and harder to achieve?

505CI v10 no blower 700HP
504CI v8 blown 700HP

They each have their pluses and minuses.
Depends on your point of view.

I like NA engines and am willing to put up with their drawbacks vs benefits.

UD

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The problem with the Teague 800's is that you are not getting the NXT drive. Also, the Merc 700 is probably really close to the 800 ponies mark at the crank. Warranties are all the same, but I beieve that you can purchase a 2 year with the Ilmor.

As I stated in another thread the Ilmor pulls harder at the top end and the Merc will pull harder at the low, mid and mid-high range. The Ilmor will probably give a better top end speed, but not by much.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
naturally aspirated would be great. thats a good point. forced induction harder on engines right?? my whole thing is that although ilmor has been around a while its just i dont feel like they perhaps are not as tried and trued as the merc product.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
naturally aspirated would be great. thats a good point. forced induction harder on engines right?? my whole thing is that although ilmor has been around a while its just i dont feel like they perhaps are not as tried and trued as the merc product.

Yes forced induction is harder on engines and creates parasitic drag.
Spinning that blower has a price. Its a low price in the case of the merc 700 its a well designed combo.

I was and still am worried about that but then again the viper engine can take ridiculous power in automotive apps and is one of the few vehicles to outrun a Bugatti Veyron in turbo form.

Ilmors racing record suggests exceptional capability-
A purchase of an Ilmor product is to put faith in Roger Penske - which I have.

UD

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes forced induction is harder on engines and creates parasitic drag.
Spinning that blower has a price. Its a low price in the case of the merc 700 its a well designed combo.

I was and still am worried about that but then again the viper engine can take ridiculous power in automotive apps and is one of the few vehicles to outrun a Bugatti Veyron in turbo form.

Ilmors racing record suggests exceptional capability-
A purchase of an Ilmor product is to put faith in Roger Penske - which I have.

UD
parasitic drag??????:)sphss pretty good with motors never heard that term. define please:)sphss

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
I looked at this boat with the 700's and NXT's. No bling factor for me, except the drives. The drives are just wicked. Merc builds a solid product, they put the r and d into everything they do.

The Teagues are a work of art, and I trust Teague to stand behind his product. Drives are another issue, but you could buy the new Imco, or the X-Power, or an NXT or a six package.

The Imors are supposed to creat less low end torque and be easier on the drives. The look great IMO. I called them as soon as I bought a boat with some, and the technician was super helpful answering questions. I've heard from others their customer service is unmatched. They idle at 650rpm, are super quiet, are lighter and pull like crazy about 4500rpm. I'm happy with them.

I'd be happy with any of the three, don't think you could go wrong with any of them, resale would be comparable with any of the three with the biggest difference in similar boats being the drive package. Who here has owned all three???

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts