Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Dirty White Boy
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pissed! Jesel cam drive!?!

I just had a Jesel cam drive belt delaminate at 80 hours:|err WTF!?!

anyone else see this? I have at least 2 bent hollow titanium valves This is BS!!!

I just drove it back to the engine builder so he can check out everything. I sure hope those AFR heads (Wilson Manifold ported) are not hurt.

· Registered
2,030 Posts

anyone else see this? I have at least 2 bent hollow titanium valves This is BS!!!

I just drove it back to the engine builder so he can check out everything. I sure hope those AFR heads (Wilson Manifold ported) are not hurt.
Throw that damn piece of crap jesel piece in a box and ship it to Waterloo. I will pay for the shiping. :D
Sorry about yoru luck.
Wags

· Registered
237 Posts
I'm putting one on my motor and when I spoke to Jesel about the belt life they suggested changing it once per year or every 40 hrs of use. They also warned against getting oil on the belt as that really speeds up the degredation of the rubber. Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Craig

· Dirty White Boy
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Throw that damn piece of crap jesel piece in a box and ship it to Waterloo. I will pay for the shiping. :D
Sorry about yoru luck.
Wags
???

Pay for the parts and it's a deal:)devil

I'm putting one on my motor and when I spoke to Jesel about the belt life they suggested changing it once per year or every 40 hrs of use. They also warned against getting oil on the belt as that really speeds up the degredation of the rubber. Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Craig
:))eek:)) WOW! I was told 200 hours

· Lurker
1,398 Posts

Do you have any pictures?
I have seen this happen many times. It is typically from over heating or over stressing (enclosed endurance app.). I believe the standard 25mm belt is only designed for 25-27hp worth of force. Get them hot and this reduces quickly!

Pics and combo/usage would help.

· Dirty White Boy
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which belt? I just bought a Jesel belt drive and they said the white belt is considerably stronger, but it looks kind of gay. Does anyone have experience with the white belt?
Mine was the black belt

Do you have any pictures?
I have seen this happen many times. It is typically from over heating or over stressing (enclosed endurance app.). I believe the standard 25mm belt is only designed for 25-27hp worth of force. Get them hot and this reduces quickly!

Pics and combo/usage would help.
I don't have pics and I took the boat to the engine builder in Indy yesterday(300 miles one way).

The combo is a Dart tall deck, AFR heads, solid roller cam, shaft mount rockers, 598 ci, single carb. The belt is not enclosed, 795 crank hp

I have done 2 poker runs in the last month and it has been running great the belt looks like one of Tony Stewart's tires at Indy.......also made by Goodyear:|err The belt just separated

· Registered
237 Posts
???

Pay for the parts and it's a deal:)devil

:))eek:)) WOW! I was told 200 hours
Probably depends on which "tech" you get to talk to. I specifically remember what a guy named Bob suggested to me for belt change interval. I'm going with the Rhino as well, but they are currently on back order so if I get everything done I'll run the black on the remainder of the season then run the Rhino from there. Jesel warns the white belt is more prone to degredation than the black if it happens to get oil on it. In either case oil on the belt is not a good thing.

Are you working with Schumacher?

Craig

· Dirty White Boy
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably depends on which "tech" you get to talk to. I specifically remember what a guy named Bob suggested to me for belt change interval. I'm going with the Rhino as well, but they are currently on back order so if I get everything done I'll run the black on the remainder of the season then run the Rhino from there. Jesel warns the white belt is more prone to degredation than the black if it happens to get oil on it. In either case oil on the belt is not a good thing.

Are you working with Schumacher?

Craig
Bill Schumaker in Greenwood is the engine builder. He is a great guy and I love the engine! He is the one who told me 200 hours. It sucks to be looking at a $2500 bill (possibly more pending further assessment) for a part failing at less than 1/2 of the life I was told to service it at...........A friend of mine always says " Knowledge does not come cheap!". This is another case in point, live and learn:)grn

I spend around $200 2-3 times a year just for oil (14 qt of Joe Gibbs hp6) If I had known of this recommendation I would have been changing this belt at every other oil change:)st

· Registered
912 Posts
Jesel

Now you have me scared. I have had on, same one since 1998, so ten years now, and same belt. Only issue I had was a worn key. Regrooved and put in larger key, no problems.

Similar motor. tall deck, Merlin alum heads, roller cam, single dominator. Turn it as high as 7,400 rpms.

Jerry

· Registered
237 Posts
Now you have me scared. I have had on, same one since 1998, so ten years now, and same belt. Only issue I had was a worn key. Regrooved and put in larger key, no problems.

Similar motor. tall deck, Merlin alum heads, roller cam, single dominator. Turn it as high as 7,400 rpms.

Jerry
$140 for a new White Rhino belt may be money well spent at this point!

· steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts

My guess is you have something else going on and it wasn't the belt's fault. I'd do a little more reserch, check some dimensions and alignment on the cam drive, etc. before I put it back together the way it was.
The hedas can be fixed.
JMO.

· Registered
2,984 Posts
80 engine hours on the belt over how much actual calendar time?

I would do belts on the old mans sanger every 2 years and inspected for cracks all the time especially an exposed deal.

Hard to blame jesel for losing a belt, but Id be pist as well.

For my personal stuff I usually stick with gear drive stuff. I dont do any really high RPM stuff anymore so I dont worry about harmonic transfer- but the sprint guys seem to have no issues with the gear stuff either as long as its the quiet type.

Hope the heads are OK.....

UD

· Dirty White Boy
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My guess is you have something else going on and it wasn't the belt's fault. I'd do a little more reserch, check some dimensions and alignment on the cam drive, etc. before I put it back together the way it was.
The hedas can be fixed.
JMO.
thanks
I had that thought as well. As soon as I found bent valves I took it to the builder, hoping he will stand behind it....we'll see how it works out.

80 engine hours on the belt over how much actual calendar time?

I would do belts on the old mans sanger every 2 years and inspected for cracks all the time especially an exposed deal.

Hard to blame jesel for losing a belt, but Id be pist as well.

For my personal stuff I usually stick with gear drive stuff. I dont do any really high RPM stuff anymore so I dont worry about harmonic transfer- but the sprint guys seem to have no issues with the gear stuff either as long as its the quiet type.

Hope the heads are OK.....

UD
It was new last April (15 months)........it is limited at 6k and has all of the good stuff in it. It cost me a fortune I am VERY disappointed, but like I said just waiting to see how it works out. Up to that point I loved the motor, starts great, idles like nothing I've ever owned even through the long idle zones, lots of power. He has several similar engines out there and this is a first. Just my luck:)sphss

Thanks to everyone for the responses it helps my blood pressure:p...........but the wife is still pretty bent over this deal, we had a boat load of her friends with us when it happened:)st DOH!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.