Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw last week my enigine runing at zero PSI fuel pressure. I swapped out the fuel lines and removed the pressure regulator and swapped PSI gauge. When i sit there and crank the motor the PSI bounces to about three but then just goes back to zero once i stop cranking it..

My fuel pump just went Tango Uniform didnt it? Any suggestions on manual vs electric? jegs has a manual holley marine one for 110. Any suggestions on a eletric one?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/751733/10002/-1

Friggin boat is nickle and diming me... :)st

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Saw last week my enigine runing at zero PSI fuel pressure. I swapped out the fuel lines and removed the pressure regulator and swapped PSI gauge. When i sit there and crank the motor the PSI bounces to about three but then just goes back to zero once i stop cranking it..
So long as the pump is pumping, the lines will have pressure. Once it stops pumping, the pressure will bleed off, nothing unusual there.
As far as elec or mechanical, I personally like mechanicals as I've seen many electric fuel pumps fail in 1 way or another over the years. Again, that's just my personal preference as I'm sure many out there have used electricals for years without issues.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Condition of the filter ? :)bulb

S CP :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Condition of the filter ? :)bulb

S CP :D

Fuel lines and filters are brand new. One tank of gas thru them since replaced this winter.

Yea it does surge but it only surges to 3 PSi with no restricter on it... If i keep turing the engine for 15 seconds it stops pushing to 3 and sits at zero. Its not like it bleeds off the pressure once its built it jsut friggin dies. . Before i had a regulator she was pushing 19 PSI.

·
"That Guy"
418 Posts
don't do the mechanical, I bought one of those "trick" race pumps, and its a pain in the ass. wish i just bought a good ol' electric.
PM me if you want more detail. but everyone has an opinion.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Electric here, Holley Red with a oil pressure drop fuel shut off from Jegs.

Part #555-11200 5 psi oil pressure switch $21.99

Piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Does the motor run?

Does it run at WOT or fall off?

What type of guage is it? (electric or Mechanical)

Regulator adjusted correct?

You said filters are OK so thats off the list,

Just the basics first;)

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Electric here, Holley Red with a oil pressure drop fuel shut off from Jegs.

Part #555-11200 5 psi oil pressure switch $21.99

Piece of mind.

Piece of mind??

You really want your motor to kill when your doing 70-80mph?

I get the idea about low psi and hurting a motor but a warning light would make more sense maybe?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
don't do the mechanical, I bought one of those "trick" race pumps, and its a pain in the ass. wish i just bought a good ol' electric.
PM me if you want more detail. but everyone has an opinion.
if you have one of those single piston race deals-no comparison between that and a standard pump. A good Holley/edelbrock/summit/jegs mechanical will do you well.

I run a Clay Smith and it made as much power as the aeromotive electric that was running on the dyno. Sold me. Plus, if you are running a Holley red in a boat, you are begging to be stranded with no fuel pressure IMO.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Piece of mind??

I get the idea about low psi and hurting a motor but a warning light would make more sense maybe?
Ditto that-especially in a jet. Watch your gauges like a hawk or install an idiot light somewhere real visible. High speed shutdown = recipe for a disaster.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Piece of mind??

You made a good point, didn't think of that....thanks:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Piece of mind??

not to mention that by the time the carb actually runs outta fuel in the bowls, more than likely the damage is already done to the motor:)bulb

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the motor run?

Does it run at WOT or fall off?

What type of guage is it? (electric or Mechanical)

Regulator adjusted correct?

You said filters are OK so thats off the list,

Just the basics first;)

I cant even get it cranked at this particular moment.. Shes just not getting gas.... :-( Im not going to try agian until i can get that fuel pressure sorted out.. maybe some time mid week. jegs usualy gets here in 2 days.

Mechanical gauge (2 different ones. One known good one)

Removed Regulator in case it was the issue.

mechanical it is.. Ill get it ordered. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fixed...

New holley mech pump in.. Fuel pressure steady at 8.5 PSi.. Seems like that resolved my issue.:)devil

Im gonna go tomorrow and replace all those plugs since ive been meaning to any way and hopefully have it back on the water this weekend.. Broken boats sux a$$...:|err

·
Bouncing off rocks
82 Posts
when the fuel pump wont hold pressure like that, usually means theres some trash thats stuck in the pump thats allowing that pressure to get past the one way diaphram in the pump

1 - 20 of 21 Posts