Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tonight I got started on my plumbing. I couldn't find the bolts that held the thermostat housing down, so I grabbed two bolts off my work bench that fit through the thermostat holes. Unfortunately, these two bolts were not the right size, but they certainly wanted to think that they were the right size they felt like they were threading, until they were almost at the tightening stage. At that point they just kept turning and to my dismay when I took it all back apart the threads came out with the bolt!:mad: DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!:)st

Looks like I either have to get some helicoils or a new intake. Which I have been wanting for awhile but down have the money.:( I would love to have a Weiand Team-G or something like that, but in the tall deck version, so I don't have to use my spacers that I spend so much time making. Maybe some day.

·
Administrator
11,647 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
is there enough meat on everything to drill it out and tap it the next size up?
Unfortunately no. I would have to drill everything out, intake and thermostat cover, and the walls would be pretty thin on the intake bolt holes.

Easy fix with some helicoils or timeserts.
That's what I figured. Just have to go by my old work, and get my old boss to give me a couple of the right sized ones. Just one more step backwards in this whole process. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Just Helicoil it. Go to AutoZone and pick up the kit for about $20.00 and an extra set of coils. You get everything to do the job right. Drill, Tap, Insert, and put the bolts in.

·
not ******
718 Posts
yea, i wouldnt worry to much, thats an easy fix, and it looks like you have plenty of material to either drill one size up and tap, or set in a pair of heli-coils. just a little step backwards, no biggie

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why cant you tap in the the next size up Metric? Looks like you have plenty of material.
Cause metric sucks!:D I hate when they put metric bolts on American cars. It pisses me off because I mostly have English size tools.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
It almost looks as though it's been heli-coiled already. I Don't usually see aluminum threads come out all in one piece like that. Is that section of threads aluminum or steel?
I agree with Dan here, That has been helicoiled before and thats why they pulled out. Just buy the insert kit and reinstall them. Timezerts would be better but the kit cost a few bucks.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Yeah, fix the threads and locktite some studs in the manifold. That way you'll never have to deal with the issue again......I don't know if I would use stainless though...............MP
MP, why not stainless???

Just curious as to what you would prefer instead.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would think it is to soft and taking it on and off a few times and you have gualded studs. Steel is better IMO.:D
Being a SALT WATER boater, I cringe at the thought of putting steel in service anywhere near the cooling system, or even anywhere on the boat. In general practice the stainless nut should not gall to the stainless stud, providing you don't use a high speed impact driver or other power driver. Oh, I also use a liberal amount of anti-seize so I can get it apart next time (another salt water thing).

Doug

1 - 20 of 38 Posts