Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason I shouldn't get Direct TV??
Dish just shot my bill to $134 per month. (I have all channels, 1 HD and 1 regular receiver)
With direct I can get the HD DVR, 4 rooms, etc. Seems Direct has more HD.
Is the grass greener on the other side??

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am a dealer for both. At the moment DirectTv does have more content but there HD boxes do have more issues and are a little harder to use on the DVR. How long have you had your dish? I can maybe get you setup witht he new HD DVR and lower your bill quite a bit and the DVR works in 2 bedrooms at once. Dish is launching alot more HD this year as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a dealer for both. At the moment DirectTv does have more content but there HD boxes do have more issues and are a little harder to use on the DVR. How long have you had your dish? I can maybe get you setup witht he new HD DVR and lower your bill quite a bit and the DVR works in 2 bedrooms at once. Dish is launching alot more HD this year as well.
I've had Dish for about 5 years.....the last 2 with HD.

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
I ready to give NPG cable the boot....$42 a month for basic service and $42 a month for cheata internet...w/taxes and B.S. charges = $92.40 a month:mad:

I am ready for a dish or direct quote, (min TV service "1 box or room" and hi speed internet) in one package

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
Were thinking of jumping from dish as well. I have had them for three years and I still have to reset one receiver almost daily. The DVR one is fine it's just the other regular receiver we have constant trouble with. 4 tv's split 2 and 2.

Dish has the WORST customer service. They refuse to fix it. I have had techs out 3x and they change a switch, this or that, change the remote radio number, state it's my issue and I am now all good. Next day....frozen receiver. These visits I have to pay for. The equipment I don't own but I have to pay to replace it. WTF. Total scam.

We are paying right at $80 per month with no add on movie channels and no HD.

·
Rebel
270 Posts
I ready to give NPG cable the boot....$42 a month for basic service and $42 a month for cheata internet...w/taxes and B.S. charges = $92.40 a month:mad:

I am ready for a dish or direct quote, (min TV service "1 box or room" and hi speed internet) in one package
Frontier will give you a basic dish package which has plenty of channels and way better quality, high speed internet, and phone service for $100 a month.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Dish has the WORST customer service. They refuse to fix it. I have had techs out 3x and they change a switch, this or that, change the remote radio number, state it's my issue and I am now all good. Next day....frozen receiver. These visits I have to pay for. The equipment I don't own but I have to pay to replace it. WTF. Total scam.
I don't own my DISH equiptment and have had problems in the past. They just send me out a new reciever and the old one goes back. Done this twice. I can't understand why you've had such problems.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Dish just shot my bill to $134 per month. (I have all channels, 1 HD and 1 regular receiver)
I have 1HD DVR, 1 regular DVR, and 1 regular receiver(RV), no movie channels. with tax, license, dealer prep it comes to 95-100 bucks/month. So if you have all the channels I don't see the big deal at 134 bucks. All those movie channels and HD aren't free. If you switch to Direct I'd guess the bill will be about the same once the honeymoon discount is over. Pick your poison.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
I have Dish with HD. The problem I have is that when I'm watching something the voice track doesn't always sync with the video. So, then I have to go into the menu and switch between HD 720 or 1080 until they sync. It stinks having to go into the HD menu and have to switch depending on what the broadcast is. I was told that with Direct, the receiver detects the broadcast and adjusts automatically.
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Dish with HD. The problem I have is that when I'm watching something the voice track doesn't always sync with the video. So, then I have to go into the menu and switch between HD 720 or 1080 until they sync. It stinks having to go into the HD menu and have to switch depending on what the broadcast is. I was told that with Direct, the receiver detects the broadcast and adjusts automatically.
I had the sync issue bad on the local channels when they first started but after around 6 months they went away.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Not me.
Did you talk to tech on that one?

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
Is the HD reciever also a DVR?

Our DVR does that ever once in a while even in live TV mode.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Yes, it is a HD DVR receiver. The techs have been no help at all, I don't think they understand english. If the voice is out of sync with the picture, I have to go into the menu for HD and change the setting between 720 and 1080. It all depends on wether the broadcast is in HD or not where you have to set it. Pain in the ass when you change from one program to another and then have to possibly change settings.

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
I don't own my DISH equiptment and have had problems in the past. They just send me out a new reciever and the old one goes back. Done this twice. I can't understand why you've had such problems.
Sorry Mblaster I missed your reply.

They refused to replace it last time we called (about a month ago). It has something to do with who actually signed us up and did the initial install. They won't give me that contact info either.

If it was a contract installer they sure disguised themselves like Dish. All I can say is it's a major effort to call them and they are just not helpful. I am reluctant to change because my brother in law has direct TV and I like the dish layout better.

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
Yes, it is a HD DVR receiver. The techs have been no help at all, I don't think they understand english. If the voice is out of sync with the picture, I have to go into the menu for HD and change the setting between 720 and 1080. It all depends on wether the broadcast is in HD or not where you have to set it. Pain in the ass when you change from one program to another and then have to possibly change settings.
I think it's the hard drive trying to keep up with the data. What happens when you pause live TV for a min. and then hit play? Does it catch up then?

I think all this stuff is just a we bit ahead of its time. Like when pc's were first born.

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
I wonder what would happen if, all of a sudden , a million customers suddenly dropped their Dish, cable satellite etc services all on the same day ?
That would be a sudden loss of say $50 MILLION dollars gone from the industry for ONE month? Do ya think ANYBODY in that industry would notice ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
With DirecTV, for ~$140/month I get:

*All channels, including all premium movie channels
*Over 75 HD Networks (seriously, there are TONS of HD channels -- SpeedHD, SpikeHD, TLCHD, FuelHD, CNNHD, FoxSportsHD, all HBO's, SHO's, TMC's, CMAX's the list goes on and on)
*8 DVR (4 HD-DVR) receivers (including one at the house in Needles)
*Great customer support (though to be honest, I never really have to call, but they recently offered me two free HD-DVR's since my old HDTivo's don't see all of the new HD channels...I declined since I would have had to return the HDTivo's and they still record HD OTA perfectly)
*Video-on-Demand (but no HowardTV :mad:) if connected to an Internet connection
*Ability to stream music/movies/photos from my pc to the HDDVR like the XBox360 or PS3 (assuming it's connected to the home network)

Also, their new HD-DVR's (HR21-700) have come a LOOOOOOOONG way in improving in the past 18 months. As of now, they are nearly bullet-proof. The only real limitations are the lack of dual-live-buffers (great for sports) and a 50-series max on "season passes". Both of which should be able to be fixed via software upgrades in the future. The other nice thing about their new HD-DVR's is you can purchase an external E-SATA drive and hook it up, boot it up and you now have a TON of HDD storage for the HD shows. I currently use a Seagate 750GB and have 120++ hours of MPEG4 recording space.

I was a DISH customer until about 2000/2001 when DirecTV was basically giving away their dual-tuner TiVo's two-at-a-time. At that time, my DISH DVR (Dishplayer 7922) was absolute trash and had to be reset several times a day and it would still miss 50% of the recordings. Once I switched to DirecTV, I haven't regretted it for one moment.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's another thing but not the end of the world.......I was thinking of getting the MLB package this year and now Dish doesn't carry it.....couldn't negotiate with MLB according to Dish's web site.

·
Still Boatless :-(
552 Posts
I wonder what would happen if, all of a sudden , a million customers suddenly dropped their Dish, cable satellite etc services all on the same day ?
That would be a sudden loss of say $50 MILLION dollars gone from the industry for ONE month? Do ya think ANYBODY in that industry would notice ?

So....now we get the real story on your other B.S. post about "dropping your cable for 30 days".......why not just state your hypothesis from the start instead of the miss-leading thread?:)bulb

:)hand

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you have Fios in your area get it. Faster than DSL internet, phone service and fiber optic TV service for $139.00 per month. Includes two tuners and a multi room DVR. I don't know much about DVR's but this one holds at least 20 Laker games. You can also get a wireless adapter for the receiver and watch movies and slide shows from your computer, routed through the wireless system that comes with Fios. Dishes are old school.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts