Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is making me a great deal on a blueprint 632" motor. 815/800. How do you select an impeller? I do know I have an 'A' aluminum in there now and it turns 54-5500 on my tach (not sure how accurate it is) @62-65 mph. Hardin 454. As far as I know the jet is stock. Im sure Ill need a steel one. Eliminator sport 20.5

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Really depends on what you wont to do with your boat .. Cruising and pulling tubes/skiers I'd go with the AA, but if your lookin for performance then I'd keep the A and trim as needed .. You really wonna go to a bronze or SS impeller though, the aluminum is junk at that power level .. Might need to upgrade your shaft also :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tny, I like to cruise at 3 to 3500 rpm, there could be skiing or tubing but it would be less than 5% of the time. When you say you'd stick with the a and trim it are you referring to trimming the impeller. If not what other trim are you referring to

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes he is talking about trimming the impeller down ..
The best setup in that boat would be an A or even an AB ss impeller with an inducer behind it but that starting to get expensive don't know what your looking to spend or how hard your goin to lean into that motor but your goin to need to upgrade the main shaft start messing with loaders and I hope your pump already has a shoe and ride plate you will be needing that too

if any of this info seems overwhelming your best and cheapest bet in the long run is to call Chris at b1 racing tell him what you have and what the end goal is he will work with you and not try and up sell you and crap you don't need

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry my sheet is hard to read, call up American turbine and they will send you a chart for any impeller, after seeing your dyno sheet I would look at an AA chart, and you can bet the chart will be on the money if your pump is fresh!!!!! There are several great pump building guys on this site, I personally like the High Helix impellers, but that's just me

·
Registered
113 Posts
A pump builder could tell you better , but basically the shaft and cv joints is all but with that kind of power I like a jetaway depending on your use of it and for safety I would really inspect your loader!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
But I want you to know I am only familiar with a dominator pump and I had mine done by Hi-tech performance here in Missouri where I'm at, but you have Chris at b-1 out west , there are many good pump places to call, depending on your location

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Tny, I like to cruise at 3 to 3500 rpm, there could be skiing or tubing but it would be less than 5% of the time. When you say you'd stick with the a and trim it are you referring to trimming the impeller. If not what other trim are you referring to

Ya, trim the impeller .. Not a big fan on it but you could use the aluminum impeller to get a feel of just how many RPMS your engine will turn and fine tune it and then get yourself a nice SS impeller, just dont beat the hell out of it ;) .. I bet with your HP and TQ a nice detailed A or A/B will be perfect for your combo . Do it right the 1st time and you wont have to worry about it again, it will cost alittle more but if you get a 17-4 shaft and a inducer and nice SS or bronze impeller you can throw just about as much HP at it as you wont.. Good Luck :))THumbsUp

What pump and bowl is in it ??

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
A friend of mine is making me a great deal on a blueprint 632" motor. 815/800. How do you select an impeller? I do know I have an 'A' aluminum in there now and it turns 54-5500 on my tach (not sure how accurate it is) @62-65 mph. Hardin 454. As far as I know the jet is stock. Im sure Ill need a steel one. Eliminator sport 20.5
Call Duane Oblander @ Hi-Tech Performance. 417-858-8616

·
Registered
319 Posts
bigger is better

I'd vote for a 9.5" if you have a big bowl. You have the c.I. and the torque to use it and the lower cruise rpm will be nice. Also room for nos. I run a 9.5 in my turbo LS Cheyenne and I ski at 2200\2400. 5800 is over 110 mph. You will be able to turn it 5500\5600 unless you add the nos. Definately SS. My opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
How do you select an inducer? And what do those things cost?

Your in Illinois so call Johnny @ Big A .. Great guy to deal with and will do you right, he does alot of work for me .. Go with the HCM inducer, there the best on the market right now. The Berk JG is a great pump to start with, i run one in my winger .. I've had the bowl machined to take the AMT impeller .. Sounds like you have a good combo to start with ..

Big A Performance
Athens, TN
423-745-9667

·
Amerian Turbine Man
88 Posts
"AA" High Helix would be perfect it absorbs 776 horsepower at 5300 RPM's with 768 pound feet of torque. It would probably cruise at 2800.

ATM

1 - 20 of 51 Posts