Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/1252655581.html

the link is to a 23' daytona eliminator with a 454 and a 3 speed transmission. i tried to get pics from the guy with no luck, he said that it would cost me 20,000 to do it and then the boat couldn't handle the motor being set ahead.. whitch i would think thats what trim is for..? and told me some projects never get finished.......

my boat is a 1991 24' daytona it was set up for twin outboards., but i want to set it up as a inboard outdrive...

my motor is 800 hp. right now i have to swap out the cam as the power band is between 5000 - 7500. so i will loose some hp., what drive a brovo? a twin prop brovo. i have seen some imco drives at a good price ,

and what about the 3 speed transmission between the outdrive and motor i havent heard of this before..
anyone have the pro's and con's of the 3 speed? pics? info?
my motor is a 355 with aluminum heads billit crank oliver rods je 12.5-1 all the good stuff... should be light enuff and hold up well...

thanks jason

·
Banned
742 Posts
I think I remember a 23' Daytona at the 84/85 LA boat show. It had a TRS, T400 and a twin turbo BB Chevy. (maroon and reds with wood grain?) Those boats don't have any strakes at the rear of the sponsons. That means that it would have a hard time 'lifting' the tail at any speeds. "Cobra 1" gear ratios and prop pitch/loading numbers are relative with all types of drives. Merc also built a few "Black Trac" 2 speed outdrive systems back about 15 years ago. When running any "multi-speed" trans with I/O or V-drives, you really must have a POWERFULL motor, to realize the gains. If the Daytona in question has a single carb motor (now) it will not be using all of the potential of the trans. (not enough power) AND, just dropping the gear ratios to 'unload' the small motor won't really help.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Most turbo 400's most have a 1:1 final drive. I'm sure it could be changed. I can see the problem with moving the engine far enough forward to fit a turbo 400. Even a standard B/W trans in front of a TRS moves the engine forward about 18 inches.

Darrell.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how would a bravo 3 2 prop outdrive work for a pickle? or are they only for big cruisers?

now if you had a transmission that only brought the rpm's down by 1000 per shift wouldn't that help or is it just going to bog down.

i know there are many ways for speed and some are not so recommended..

so if you were to run a trans regardless of the rpm brop you will want a twin carb or maybe a twin turbo motor... from what you all are saying to get the performance out of it... and not get lafed at when it shifts and you do a niose dive from slowing down a little....

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Basically the B3 is designed to get heavy boats up on plane quickly, and cruise efficiently. They max out at about 60mph or so. Above that, they begine to blow out the props, and loose efficiency.

As for the transmission, it's not so much the gearing, turbo 400's are 1:1 in final drive, it's the fact the engine is so far forward in that boat, is what may be causing problems. The TRS drive from merc came with either a Merc single speed trans, or a Borg-Warner single speed. Either of those are much shorter than a turbo 400, and would move the engine to the rear quite a bit. BTW, both of those trans were also a 1:1 ratio. I'm not sure what the original builders were trying to achieve with the turbo 400. IMO, the best choice would be to replace the turbo 400, with a BW 72C. They are small and compact, and will handle anything that 454 will dish out.

Darrell.

Darrell.

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Did you say a 355 cid engine if you did it wont work no torque.maybe a 555 cid would be closer. My freind Ross had a 23 daytona avery heavy boat w/twins outboards low to mid 80s 23 and 24 bottom lacked steps. p.s 12.5 to 1 race gas only.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my 355 was dynoed at 800hp.. i forget the torque..specs.. it cost 20,000 to build . was built for a race car , roller motor of course, billet crank je pistons oliver rods , ect,,, brodex alum heads and they have been ported., my spelling may be off..

but i found a arneson surface drive. i think i am going that route. the guy i spoke with at arneson said it would be a good combo.. but i will have to change my cam its set up for 5000-7500 all day... so ill loose a little hp...

yes i know that its race fuel.. been thinking of running it on e 85 its supose to be 110 octane from what my napa buddy says.. i may have to run some octane boost that is just a thought...

all i know is that im not going to run outboards.

i have a copo 427 with 5000 miles on it but i was saving that for my 1930 5 window...

the 3 speed idea is out for sure well save it for the v-drive day cruiser.. thanks for the input on the transmission..

jason

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I wonder if maybe he just means "3 position" tranny. Like FWD/REV/Neutral? And just that it has a tranny (TRS) being rare?

I agree that it doesn't appear to have the motor fwd enough for a T400. MAYBE a Mopar 727 without a tailshaft, but other than that.....?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if maybe he just means "3 position" tranny. Like FWD/REV/Neutral? And just that it has a tranny (TRS) being rare?

I agree that it doesn't appear to have the motor fwd enough for a T400. MAYBE a Mopar 727 without a tailshaft, but other than that.....?

i talked to him and its a 3 speed. he told me i couldn't do it to my boat because of how far the motor was forward and wouldn't send any pics...

i had never heard of a transmission as a 3 speed between the motor and a outdrive ( bravo- mercruiser)

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Hmm. Definitely odd. Would like to see it, though.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
i talked to him and its a 3 speed. he told me i couldn't do it to my boat because of how far the motor was forward and wouldn't send any pics...

i had never heard of a transmission as a 3 speed between the motor and a outdrive ( bravo- mercruiser)

Many larger offshore race boats over the years have had multispeed transmissions in them. But when your talking about a 40+ ft boat, it can afford to move the weight forward. The Arneson set up should work really well for your app. The only question I have is with the engine. One thing you will have to watch with it, is reversion. An 800hp smallblock needs to have a serious cam, and if you are going to run wet exhaust ya might run into problems. CSTRAUB here on the boards makes cams, and has a lot of knowledge with building them for boats. Might be worth a PM to him about it. Now if your running a dry exhaust, forget what I said.

BTW we all love a good project. Keep us up to date and be sure to post a lot of pics. We eat this shit up.

Darrell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts